Author Topic: Old Flight Sims  (Read 629 times)

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Old Flight Sims
« on: April 26, 2015, 03:52:58 PM »
Hey guys Anyone remember this flight Sim from back in the days? I started off playing this game. As an american you fly the F-51 Mustang, F-80 shooting star, and F-86 Sabre. As a Russian you get to fly the Yak9 and Mig-15's. There were a few other planes but i just can't remember them at the moment. The missions were great in this game. In the mission you got to shoot down other aircrafts and perform historical tasks but you couldn't fly them for some reason. I think only in the muiltiplayer mode you could of flown them. I still have the disc lol.

CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: Old Flight Sims
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 07:50:19 AM »
I still have my 5.25's for Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe, 3x5's for Aces of the Deep, Aces Over Europe, B-17 Flying Fortress (DOS version AKA the GOOD version), Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, and a CD for Aces of the Pacific and Red Baron.  I did screw up back in the day, and got Descent on the 3.5's when it was also being sold on CD's. :bhead  Kind of wish I picked up the CD's for the stuff I had on 3.5's and 5.25's when they became available, like I did with Aces of the Pacific and Red Baron. :(
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:15:31 AM by Volron »
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline craz07

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2015, 10:12:26 AM »
I got started with wb2.xx in the late 90's if i recall correctly, have been addicted since then... wait thats a lie, there was also nintendo's top gun and jane's WW2 sim for pc
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 10:14:23 AM by craz07 »
Don't let others drag you down with their own hatred and fear

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2015, 10:47:02 AM »
SWOTL shaped my childhood.

I think I only got 1 B-17 crew to the end of their 25 missions... Stupid dad used the cheating Go229 and would claim his pilot "wolf" was the best ever...

lol, the old midi gun sounds, pew, pew!
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline Phoenix3107

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 11:05:20 AM »
I started off playing A-10 Attack Cuba for the Mac Os in my years as a kid. I still miss that old game today. Only thing I was good at that time was firing my Maverick's into the 17's and 16's that came in for landing, didn't even realize those were the good guys. :devil
GameID:Phoenix

Also can be found under my DA name
"Lonewolf32097" at www.deviantart.com.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 12:39:30 PM »
One of the first combat flight simulators I played was Spitfire 40 (3:10 mark  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss6kd6M9VC0)

First real experience against another human opponent was in F-16 Fighting Falcon on PC over LAN in late 80s.

The quality of these games was poor but the thrill of flying was so strong that the imagination made up for what was lacking.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 12:56:27 PM »
Hmmm....

Sublogic Flight Simulator on my old C-64. Red Baron. Solo Flight. Then Jet on my Amiga. Then a plethora of other games on the Amiga before switching to DOS
:
F-16 Combat
Falcon
SWOTLW
F/18 Simulator
Birds of Prey
F-15 Strike Eagle
A-10 Tank Killer
Flight of the Intruder
TFX
Dawn Patrol (one of my favorite)
Knights of the Sky
Gunship
Red Baron
Their Finest Hour
Aces of the Pacific
Janes F-15 Strike Eagle
Tornado
Su-27
Combat Flight Simulator series from Microsoft
European Air War
Mig Alley
Falcon 2 & 3.
Janes series Longbow, Longbow, F-15, F/A-18

And of course.

Falcon 4.0

AND AND...

Strike Fighter series which may be a simplified flight model, is still a great sim.

AND

DCS Series from Eagle out of Russia which is perhaps the best there is right now.

And IL2 series of course. All great sims.  And I'm sure there are a dozen that are missing that I haven't mentioned.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 12:59:58 PM by Mister Fork »
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline glzsqd

• Persona Non Grata
  • Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 01:00:07 PM »

And of course.

Falcon 4.0

Still have the Falcon 4.0 CD, box and manual  :D
See Rule #4

Offline DubiousKB

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 01:32:55 PM »
Correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't Aces of the Pacific the game which you were introduced to a rookie AI pilot with the call sign "pancake" because of his back-story of "pancaking onto the deck" during training.

Not sure why but thinking of that part of the game always makes me giggle a little.  :devil
56th Fighter Group -  Jug Life

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 02:54:00 PM »
I didn't remember that one at first but I think I downloaded a couple of years ago on another computer. It was super advanced compared to what I had in the early days. I did have a copy of the Sublogic precursor to the Microsoft flight simulator. I also had Falcon AT. Both could be played off a floppy disc and as I didn't actually own a computer my only opportunity to try them out was on my work PC at lunchtime.

Later I good hold of 'Chuck Yeager's Air Combat' which was great fun and included a tape from ole Chuck himself recounting his adventures.

I eventually did get a PC of my own and of course had a few other including FS but to be honest I found them boring compared to flying real aircraft and of course Aces High.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 03:30:21 PM »

Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 06:35:10 PM »
SWOTL shaped my childhood.

I think I only got 1 B-17 crew to the end of their 25 missions... Stupid dad used the cheating Go229 and would claim his pilot "wolf" was the best ever...

lol, the old midi gun sounds, pew, pew!

What is great is I can fire up a fully working SWOTL game right now. :D  DOSbox FTW! :rock  Man, those sounds do bring back memories though. :aok

I noticed a "trend" in SWOTL while flying a tour in the B-17.  ANY time I would get an airfield as a target, my arse got chewed badly.  It was a very high chance I would get shot down during airfield raids.  Most of the other missions were not that bad, and only a few times would I not make it back.  So anytime I would get an airfield mission, I would try a little to complete it, but when I took any hits, would ditch my bombs and RTB.  It is how I managed to survive to 25 missions a few times. :)
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 06:55:10 PM »
I used to love playing 50 Mission Crunch on my Apple II+ as a kid.  Would name my crew after friends, putting the ones I liked the least in the most dangerous crew positions.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 09:34:08 PM »
The old flight simulator for C-64 and then IBM AT.  Then Falcon AT.  There was some simplified but cool sabre jet game for the C-64 I liked too.  And F-15E strike eagle for the C-64.  Later I spent a lot of time with Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, mostly because of the after-mission replay features.  Also Microsoft Flight simulator 4.0 with the aircraft and scenery designer.

When I was in USAF flight training I built the local airspace in MSFS 4 aircraft and scenery designer and built 2 planes with the approximate flight characteristics of the T-37 and T-38.  I was able to fly all the instrument approaches in and out of Laughlin AFB using MSFS and those 2 custom aircraft, which I think helped me nail down basic instrument habit patterns and pacing.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2015, 05:48:24 AM »
Oh yeah, there were at least three of the Strike Eagle games. With a friend we played Strike Eagle 3 co-op by sitting in the same setting as the guys in a real F15E, I was the pilot and my pal was the GIB. It was immersive and simply a great gaming experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-mu-1cBqDc

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."