Author Topic: war thunder vs. aces high2  (Read 7806 times)

Offline alpini13

• Nickel Member
war thunder vs. aces high2
« on: May 20, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
has anybody compared the two?  aces high2 and war thunder.  i see you can play war thunder for free and the graphics are great.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: war thunder vs. aces high2
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
...and it plays like an arcade game in very small arenas.

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2015, 10:12:06 AM »
...and it plays like an arcade game in very small arenas.

VERY small arenas...with limited number of players (and AI to fill in the teams) per instance...and sometimes horrible waiting times for the "matchmaker" to find an instance.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline HawkerMKII

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2015, 10:22:00 AM »
and I think you have to pay to upgrade planes etc.....maybe wrong
8th of November 1965, 173RD Airborne <S>

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2015, 10:24:03 AM »

I think it works on a tier system.
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2015, 10:24:21 AM »
+1

Yep. I gave it a try and couldn't even figure out how to take off. Interface is awful and kludgey. It looks pretty but it's an arcade game.

The tank version of the game however...is...um...very well done.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2015, 10:35:57 AM »
War thunder is for little girls who wish to begin their journey of flight Sims through simple and easy understanding of how planes fly and shoot. Recommended age is 13 and under.

AH is for big strong men who battle courageously in the mighty skies of death, with advanced tactics and ACM in a huge arena where there is no mercy. Recommended age is 18 and older.

Don't kid yourself, warthunder is a joke. I'd love to see the biggest badest pilot in warthunder even try AH, they wouldn't stand a chance.

Hell even ask krupnski about his recent success, hahaha.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Yankee67

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2015, 10:51:49 AM »
Here was my impression of playing War Thunder's free version.

In the air:
You begin your experience in the hangar, going through a forced training curriculum that is pretty boring.  Then, unless you pay extra, you start out in an open cockpit p-26 with 2-.30 cal machine guns, and you proceed to get slaughtered by other players in 109's and 190's in a timed, restricted headcount arena.  Then you either earn your way up the ladder to a good ride, or you pay extra to get a good ride.

On the ground:
You begin your experience in the hangar, going through a forced training curriculum that is pretty boring.  Then, unless you pay extra, you start out in a rusty T-24 tank that fires 45mm rounds, and you proceed to get slaughtered by other players in panzers and tigers in a timed, restricted headcount arena.  Then you either earn your way up the ladder to a better tank, or you pay extra to get a good tank.

Also, the best I remember, you pick your nation ahead of time, so you restrict yourself to Russian iron or German iron, etc, versus American iron, etc. 

But hey, the graphics are awesome.

Oh, and sometimes it can take 15 minutes for you to get assigned to an arena, based on your country and air/ground selection.  In the free version, you can't just up a tank or a plane or jump in a gun and start fighting.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 10:55:29 AM by Yankee67 »
Y67 (6/2/13 - 9/17/13)            8thJinx (9/17/13 -   )

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943. Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
I have not played WT in a long time so my opinion may be outdated by now but...

WT is all graphics, that's it. The flight modeling is absolutely an arcade style. Maps are small (unless you play full real battles which barely anyone did) and teams are very small (8 per side I think?) I had the game for about 1-2 hours, spent 30 mins in a queue for sim battles, never got in, went to arcade just to try the game, hated the arcade flight modeling. Wasn't hard making the decision to uninstall, either sit in a queue for over an hour hoping enough people are playing to get 1 game, or play a dumbed down arcade game. Now that they have ground forces I bet the sim queues are a bit more acceptable but I still do not like the small teams.

AH is kind of the exact opposite of WT. It has dated graphics (though the new update is coming soon), has massive maps, massive servers that can hold several hundred people per side (oh how I miss the days when this would actually happen), as accurate flight modeling as you can get requiring you to know even the slightest of difference between different versions of the same plane.

WT is kind of like the training ground for new players to WW2 air combat games, and AH is where you go if you want even more of it on a much larger scale with significantly more opponents to fight.

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »
War Thunder is fun, I've been playing it on/off since the closed beta 3+ years ago.. It definitely has it's moments. though once you've experienced a few 1v1s, or start pulling intensive maneuvers... you realize how lacking the flight model is, and how arcadey a lot of the planes feel even in Simulator Mode. Flap and drag modeling over there feel completely wrong too.. just some examples... over there the Spit mk1 totally dominates a 109E4 in every category, including climb rate. Ki43's out climb F8F Bearcats. P51's are one of the fastest accelerating planes in the game.

Everything in the game is unlockable in a reasonable amount of time for free... which is why I don't quite understand the "pay2win" complainers... Yeah it's lame, but the developers need to make money somehow. To sum it up, War Thunder is nice if you're looking for a change of pace, but if you try to play it like you're playing Aces High, you're probably going to have a bad time.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 12:31:01 PM by Krupinski »

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2015, 12:06:12 PM »
I heard they are short on impatient squeakers.   

I played it once about 3 years ago and some angry russian player accused me of hacking when my non upgraded hurricane wooped his arse.   I much prefer angry rednecks calling me a hack.  They have a way with words that is much more dreamy.   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline GhostCDB

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2015, 12:28:31 PM »

I played it once about 3 years ago and some angry russian player accused me of hacking when my non upgraded hurricane wooped his arse.   I much prefer angry rednecks calling me a hack.  They have a way with words that is much more dreamy.

:rofl
Top Gun

Offline Someguy63

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2015, 12:43:39 PM »

lmao
Anarchy
#Taterz
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Imagination rules the world"

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2015, 12:49:19 PM »
The wt tanks are fun, that's it.

The wt flight model blows goats.

The most populated arcade arenas use aimbots. You can't even get the hat switch to work the way it does in 99% of flying games. You have to program a sperate button for "look back."

If ah stopped today, I would not play wt. The only way the games are similar is that they are both set around ww2.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2015, 01:03:31 PM by BuckShot »
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2015, 12:53:13 PM »
Everything in the game is unlockable in a reasonable amount of time for free... which is why I don't quite understand the "pay2win" complainers... Yeah it's lame, but the developers need to make money somehow. To sum it up, War Thunder is nice if you're looking for a change of pace, but if you try to play it like you're playing Aces High, you're probably going to have a bad time.

It's considered a "Pay to Win" game because while you can engage in the grind to get new planes and upgrades, the developers made it so it's a very grindy process while making it more convenient to spend money to get what you need.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song