Author Topic: Nice Gun Cam Footage  (Read 498 times)

Offline StokesAk

• Gold Member
Nice Gun Cam Footage
« on: May 27, 2015, 03:13:28 PM »
Hey guys found this nice youtube video of some nice American guncam footage of the 8th Air Force over Europe. The video is 40 minutes long!  :airplane:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22LU_rLGb9g

EDIT: This guy's channel has a lot of WW2 documentaries as well.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 03:23:11 PM by StokesAk »
Strokes

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
Re: Nice Gun Cam Footage
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2015, 06:34:46 PM »
Great video, thanks for posting it. I opened it and planned on skimming through. I watched it from beginning to end.

The train boiler hits are awesome.

There's a strafing clip in there where a ground explosion takes out a flying plane. The plane is off to the left of the ground blast. I hope it wasn't the strafer's squad mate.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 07:12:52 PM »

There's a strafing clip in there where a ground explosion takes out a flying plane. The plane is off to the left of the ground blast. I hope it wasn't the strafer's squad mate.

I'm afraid it was. It was 2nd Lt. Sherman Armsby, 375 FS, caught in the explosion of an ammunition train at Perl on 26 August, 1944. The film is from the gun camera of Lt. Wood of the same squadron.

Relevant linkage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqZJMoTWNvQ&list=FLUXMApkWwjwak_5s6jadN6Q&feature=mh_lolz  (if that don't work, search YT for "8th Fighter Command Operations (1943 - 1944)", info at 2:02:56, explosion at 2:03:02. Info about and photo of Armsby and his aircraft at http://www.flugzeugabstuerze-saarland.de/html/merzig-wadern.html (scroll down).

OP's clip contains the friendly fire incident on a Mosquito, about which I've commented elsewhere.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 08:22:08 PM »
Thanks for the info. I feel bad for both men.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2015, 09:46:25 PM »
Quite so. I guess it's possible the fellow firing on the train wasn't even aware of the other aircraft in front of him, or what became of it. Certainly a lot seems to have slipped through on those films, the Mossie clip even appears in a Brit newsreel along the lines of "our American friends in action."
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2015, 07:00:43 PM »
Around the 20 minute mark it seems to show a 51 or 47 pilot I guess, it was a stick, firing left handed. That has to be where they reversed the film right?
Just watched the whole thing.  :aok
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54