Author Topic: Windows 10  (Read 7102 times)

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Windows 10
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2015, 01:46:55 AM »
Knowing that Windows 7 will be supported to January 14, 2020, I see no need to rush. By then we might be testing AH4 Alpha and wondering about the hardware requirements for it.

The free upgrade sounds tempting, though... But not on this workhorse.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2015, 06:51:27 AM »
I am just seeing too many things I do not care for and wonder how many other things will be discovered before it is all said and done.

Where applicable, you guys with a Wifi network will want to read this.
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/209208-windows-10s-new-wifi-sense-shares-your-wifi-password-with-facebook-outlook-and-skype-contacts

Did you know Windows 10 uses P2P to share updates with other computers?  Might want to shut that down. http://fossbytes.com/windows-10-steals-your-internet-bandwidth-to-send-updates-to-others-disable-it-here/

Windows 7 is supported until 2020.  Sounds good to me.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2015, 12:19:56 PM »
I would love to replace Win 8.1 on my new 2in1 but not if I can't choose to reject MS update items. I hid maybe a quarter of the 8.1 updates and still hide Win 7 update items occasionally so no thanks to 10 right now.
I'll wait until I can review and reject MS drivers and snooping updates or not upgrade until forced to do so.

I clicked the 'Reserve my Copy of Windows 10' button, or whatever it said. I normally keep the Win 8 machine offline.

Does anyone know if that action will force an upgrade the next time I log the machine onto the web?

No, it should prompt you to install it each time you log on. You should still have the option to reject the instillation if you want.

At least, that's what MS was telling their customers.

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2015, 01:13:59 PM »
I'd like to install Win10 on one of my systems to learn it inside and out, but I don't want it anywhere near any of my workhorse machines.

edit: what is the recommended requirements for a Win10 install?
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
edit: what is the recommended requirements for a Win10 install?
According to http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-specifications#sysreqs

Processor:
1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM:

1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit

Hard disk space:
16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS

Graphics card:
DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver

Display:
800x600

When was the last time anyone would have been happy with a computer like that?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Ratsy

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2015, 01:41:17 PM »
I gave it a go yesterday in a fit of false bravado.

The installation failed three times with an unhandled exception error at second boot...the place where it attempts to integrate drivers.

I then started looking up my components in the compatibility list (why not before trying the install?) and discovered that my modest little ASUS motherboard is not on the list.  SCREEEEEEEEECH!

I recovered my previous Windows 7-64bit installation and all is back to happy.

I won't be upgrading the OS on this rig ever.  By the time I'm ready for a new base (mobo, proc, memory) all the driver wrinkles should be worked out for my peripheral drivers.

DirectX 12 was the temptation.  But I don't want any agony cycles trying to get it. (sissy)

:salute
George "Ratsy" Preddy
328th FS - 352nd FG
Died December 25th, 1944, Near Liege - Ardennes

Operating with the Arabian Knights - callsign AKRaider

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2015, 01:42:14 PM »
I already knew what Microsoft was are recommending for Win10 operation. Unfortunately, I doubt that a system like that would do much of anything else besides run the OS.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 01:45:51 PM »
I already knew what Microsoft was are recommending for Win10 operation. Unfortunately, I doubt that a system like that would do much of anything else besides run the OS.

The system they describe would never run Windows 10 as there would not be any drivers for it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 01:56:59 PM »

I've got a computer very near those specs just lying around. It's running windows 10 without any problem.

Sure, I can't play very many games on it, but I can browse the web with it (as long as you aren't using IE because it's slower than tar) I can stream video up to 1080p and I can watch DVDs.

As per a suggestion from Gman (I think he was the one who suggested it, I'll go back and check), I'm using the system as an HTPC in the living room. I've got a wireless network card coming because I don't feel like running another cable for it. I'm also looking for a decent case to put the guts in (the current one is too big and ugly to fit into the cabinet). At some point in the future I plan to buy a new drive that is bluray compatible. I was also considering using it to rip DVDs to since the hard drive will have so little on it, but I don't think 600GB is enough to hold the library. Running windows 10 in tablet mode on this system is probably one of the best things ever since my old man knows almost nothing about computers. It offers nice big buttons that are easy to click on and easy to memorize for someone who's most involved use of a computer involves scrolling up and down a web page (that's not an exaggeration either, that's literally all he can do).

Back on point, Windows 10 was meant to also go on tables, cell phones and xbox ones; hence the low system requirements.

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 05:19:41 PM »
I've only had two problems with Windows 10 so far:

1) nVidia's drivers wouldn't auto-update, and I had to manually kill the processes and delete the program folders in order to download and run the installer.
2) My screensaver won't turn on anymore.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2015, 05:27:42 PM »
Having finally updated to windows 10.  My Main gripe is that I lost all my favourites. Unless I missed something. Surely we can retain them all?

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2015, 06:48:30 PM »
Having finally updated to windows 10.  My Main gripe is that I lost all my favourites. Unless I missed something. Surely we can retain them all?

Only thing I noticed I lost was the stuff I had pinned to my Star Menu.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2015, 08:53:11 PM »
I've got a refurbished asus transformer tablet with a multi-core atom cpu and 2gb ram, and win10 is pretty snappy on it.  The OS itself is very responsive and apps launch reasonably quickly.  The only things I wait for are things that are both drive and cpu intensive, so those things take a while to get done.  But overall most apps, web browser, email, etc. work just fine as long as I'm not stupid and have a lot of big apps running in the background.

I think the cpu turbo is maybe 1.6ghz, and most of the time its idling around 600mhz or spurting up to 1.3ghz for a bit then throttling back down.  Windows 8.1 was super frustrating with the thing but win10 feels responsive enough that the tablet/laptop could have reasonably shipped with windows 10 and it would have felt like it was supposed to be that way.  A bigger SSD would be nice but with win8 taking up half the 64GB SSD (user files migrated to an SD card), it still had 25GB free on the SSD after the win10 upgrade.  So a win8 to win10 upgrade within the restrictions of a 64GB SSD actually worked quite well.

I think overall win10 will probably get at least the same long-term appreciation as winXP and win7.  The upgrade installations were pretty painless.  The asus transformer touchpad had to have its driver deleted and re-installed before it would work, probably because I had another wireless USB mouse connected and the drivers both wanted the same hardware resources.  Deleting the ASUS trackpad driver and letting the OS detect and automatically re-install the driver worked fine.

And of course my thread in the hardware/software forum about one of my win10 computers trying to destroy my windows home server computer by indexing the entire archive and trying to mount all the shares (or something equally stupid like that)...  But after I fiddled with some indexing and windows defender settings, the WHS computer quit thrashing and it seems all ok now.

Overall as a release I'm giving it an 8 out of 10...  Minus a point for trying to destroy my WHS computer, minus half a point for having to reinstall a touchpad driver (2 installed mouse devices shouldn't be a surprise to the OS), and minus half a point for it feeling like a Linux distro update with some features from previous versions still used.  At least they had the sense to label re-used and partially broken features correctly, like "backup/restore windows 7" in the control panel.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2015, 09:02:54 PM »
Oh yea, regarding the wifi sense...  Most people I've talked to who have actually installed win10 and done specific exploration into it, have found wifi sense to be DISABLED by default.  To make it work, you have to turn on about 3 or 4 options, in order to use your computer to share your wifi credentials (a hash, not the actual password) with your contacts.

For anyone you give your password to in order to connect to your wifi to share your credentials with or without your approval, they have to have the same few options turned on (off by default), and then they have to check a box when they enter in the login passkey. 

The main kludge for wifi sense is that for you to opt your wifi out completely, you have to add something like "_noshare" to your SSID.  That's a total kludge, but doing that will supposedly automatically filter out sharing attempts (with a delay of up to a day or two due to opt-out list propagation across MS servers). 

Regarding sharing updates P2P, that's irritatingly enabled by default but you have 2 alternative options.  You can disable P2P sharing of updates entirely, or you can enable it only within your own subnet/LAN/domain.  That has the potential to save a bunch of bandwidth if you have a bunch of computers on your LAN, by disabling global sharing but leaving P2P update sharing enabled for your LAN.  Yea I think a lot of people would have preferred that to be disabled by default and users given the option to "enable faster updates by sharing updates with computers near you" or some equally benign wording, but I think MS really wanted to speed the adoption of win10 in the first few weeks and the P2P defaulting to ON was probably part of the plan, I'm guessing.

Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline PR3D4TOR

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2015, 11:01:46 PM »
Did a clean upgrade from W7. Liking it so far. Seems like what W8 should have been from the start. The only thing I'm worried about is the forced automatic updates as it includes drivers. That could get messy, but I'm hoping it is intelligent enough to not overwrite custom/OEM drivers. I turned off all the wifi sharing and MS report back stuff (that it allows me to turn off). Not that I would be very worried about it. I just don't have a use for it so it's just an unnecessary security risk for no benefit. For people who use W10 mobile devices and travel a lot I can see how it would be a great feature. No more asking friends or restaurants for their wifi password when you visit if they're sharing it with their contacts.
No gods or kings. Only Predator.