Author Topic: Windows 10 Pro "Update"  (Read 5759 times)

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Windows 10 Pro "Update"
« on: July 31, 2015, 12:33:10 AM »
Windows 10 really made a mess of things. I chose one machine that had three copies of Windows 7 on it for the update. I chose one installation that was the last to have Windows installed to it (the "freshest") and allowed Windows 10 to install. All along the installer assured me that I would be perfectly safe and that I could go back to Windows 7 any time in the first 30 days. The installer worked quickly and needed almost no input. It made use of the same password I had used for the Windows 7 installation, so no problem.

The first thing I noticed about things is that the sound card quit working. Creative will have an updated driver sometime in August. Then I discovered SLI was broken, but since then an update has corrected that problem. For some reason my network card was not identified, so I had to use the copy I had burned to CD before hand. Not a problem.

Then I tried to boot into Windows 7. It refused to do that, so I used a rescue disk that I had created before hand. No problem, I can boot into Windows 7. BUT, the network card has been modified somehow and Windows 7 cannot see the network. So, I pulled out the updated Windows 7 driver for the MB (which should already be on the system). No change. Turn off the system so it boots from a zero state. No change. Reboot the router. No change. Reboot into Windows 10. Internet is on immediately.

So, before I mount the MB on the skeet thrower, anyone have another suggestion?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Windows 10 Pro "Update"
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 01:19:22 AM »
I guessing I will just trash my 7 copys of windows 10?

seems logical, from your ill fated install.....which was not your intentions but Microsucks

btw... I love skeet... was on the FFA Team back in high school.......I use a Whinchester model 101 made in the early 70's

TC
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:21:05 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline GSakis

• Persona Non Grata
  • Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:44:33 AM »
FYI once you do the upgrade on Win10 you can format and do a clean reinstall using the Win10 iso. The upgrade will save your hardware id to MS servers and your next install will go through automagically. Just make sure you DONT format the original windows 7 or 8 drive because you will need that in the future if you have to reinstall windows on a new hardware.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 01:47:18 AM by GSakis »

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 01:55:30 AM »
Chalenge, in Windows7 have you tried these two command prompt spells: "netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt" and "netsh winsock reset catalog" (obviously, remove the quotation marks)?

Another thing I've sometimes stumbled upon is that for some reason the network card has been turned off, but your should have noticed in the device manager.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2015, 03:21:18 AM »
I will give that a go, Bizman.

@TC: Longfowler side-by-side in 12-gauge and Condor Competition also in 12-gauge.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2015, 05:38:21 AM »
W10 would not load on my old computer from the very start.  The reason w10 gave was the onboard video processor  did not support w10.

Offline Dragon Tamer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2015, 12:00:48 PM »
I've found that if 10 shares files with an older OS, it tends to make a mess of these files over time. I made a point of keeping separate drivers folders for each OS and didn't really have too much trouble.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 04:26:33 PM »
Windows 10 acts like Norton. It is both a worm and a virus at the same time. Long live Windows 7.

Offline FBKampfer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
Windows 10 acts like Norton. It is both a worm and a virus at the same time. Long live Windows 7.

Windows 8 touchscreen for life!!!
AvA Development Group
Freebird SAC member

Great men are forged in fire; it is the privilege of lesser men to light the flames.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 01:23:40 AM »
I got the network back up and running, figured out how to shutoff the new "network sharing" that pushes Windows 10, shutdown the spying operations, but . . .

Now I have to figure out how to rebuild the BCD function so Windows 7 and Windows 10 can live together.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 07:44:48 PM »
The ZxR has started working. For the moment I have W10 set to auto-update, so if something goes wrong. . .

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2015, 05:07:17 PM »
Challenge, sorry to read of your issues with the move from Win7 to Win10.

Initially, I had that error code 80240020 failure when I tried to run the normal update. The suggestion I found online to fix it (empty out C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download and try again) had no effect. So I downloaded an ISO-format copy, burned a DVD, and updated from that: Win10 updated my box with no issues.

So far, I have had only very minor issues:

I had to go back into the Device Manager and once again turn off all the "power-off" options for all my USB stuff and the NIC.

I also twiddled with the Windows Update settings to prevent grabbing updates from "PCs on my local network, and PCs on the Internet". I do not want any background network transfers running without my knowledge and outside of my control. I'm old-fashioned that way.  ;)

The only application I had any issue with was the "Corsair Link" utility for my CPU heatsink/fan unit. I just had to download and install an updated version. All my other apps - including Aces High - have required no changes and worked with no problems.

I guess that I'm just lucky that my particular set of apps does not require special driver support.

(To view my - plain, vanilla - hardware spec, click the link in my signature.)

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 05:49:50 PM »
That would have been a nightmare situation for a lot of people, Bino. Glad to hear you knew what to do. I finally created a rescue disk with Macrium Reflect and once booted into the Windows PE environment I could get the boot repaired.

I have one system on the network here that is supposed to act as a rendering server, sort of the end in the chain for pre-production workstations. It runs Linux and whether by coincidence, or design, the networking has completely failed and non of the (now) Windows 10 machines can communicate with it. I'm planning on replacing it with the new Quadro VCA soon, but so far nothing can get this thing up and running again.

Anyway, I still have WHS 2011, and one Windows 7 Ultimate machine working. Everything else is working except one machine (my gaming monster x99 system) that refuses the ZxR Windows 8 driver fix.

Yeah, Microsoft has added quite a bit of spyware to their host OS and the method of propagation for this latest version is really nasty business if you ask me. I'm going to buy into the stripped down Enterprise version just to be done with this nonsense.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2015, 02:32:50 PM »
Everything else is working except one machine (my gaming monster x99 system) that refuses the ZxR Windows 8 driver fix.

I fixed this by forcing the slot for the ZxR to Gen2.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2015, 02:42:27 PM »
If you want to read the marketing fluff about the update system, here is the link.
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/windows-update-delivery-optimization-faq

It also tells you how to turn it off.

I found some of it funny.

If you go there and are running any other operating system than Windows 10, it will prompt you at the bottom of the page that you are not running Windows 10 and are going to die bald headed if you do not upgrade!

Well,...I might have exaggerated than last bit. :D
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 02:45:58 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com