Author Topic: External view in hangar  (Read 480 times)

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
External view in hangar
« on: February 08, 2016, 04:47:44 PM »
You know it might be a good idea to have a moveable eye/camera in the hangar.   The aircraft in the beta hangar spawn showing a front right quarter view; in AH2 it was a front left quarter view.   Yet I think nose art is most commonly on the left side of the nose so you cannot see an aircraft's nose art in the hangar any more.   Some people may remember and choose planes based on nose art ("I fly the P-47D with Bugs Bunny on it", etc).

I think a moveable external view in the hangar would also allow a pilot the ability to perform a walk-around inspection of a new a/c or skin without spawning.

If its not too difficult to do, it might be a useful and appreciated feature.   Beside that, I used God's eye to move around the new hangar and it is incomparably better than AH2's hangar.  Much more detailed and worthy of a closer look.   I really do love the "HTC Motors" 2 1/2 ton flatbed truck.    Add the illumination from the work lights and the shadows cast on the back wall...

<S>!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 06:07:03 PM by oboe »

Offline Pudgy

• Zinc Member
Re: External view in hangar
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2016, 05:18:52 PM »
I sure second this one! so many good skins you can't really see.  :pray

475th FG "Satan's Angels"
431st FS 432nd FS 433rd FS

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2016, 07:28:16 AM »
As you know, on the runway, using F3 plus F8 and zoom, you can take a full, turn, view of your plane.  Actuating things like flaps and dive brakes are just pure neat in the F3 view.  The flower flaps you never see in a P-38 are well modeled showing off the detail AH put into AH2.

That being said, an auto viewer in hanger would be neat as well especially if things like the flaps could be seen as well.

I had hoped too, that convergent setting screen would have had adjustable targets.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:15:13 PM »
Pick your plane and skin, go into the convergence app. Hit F3 and use F8 or map Shift_H for your mouse. Then you can look at your plane and it's nifty skin. You can even change skins while there.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Pudgy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 12:50:21 PM »
I'll try it tonight!

475th FG "Satan's Angels"
431st FS 432nd FS 433rd FS

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 01:03:30 PM »
I just tried it, and it works - thanks bustr. 

Flight controls are disabled though, so you can't see the flaps operate or the control surfaces move.

Nice to be able to walk around the skins in the hangar though!

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2016, 03:19:24 PM »

I had hoped too, that convergent setting screen would have had adjustable targets.

Many maps have runways with slopes off the ends of them. If you taxi to the edge then pull up the target so the tip of your spinner just pokes through. Then inch over the edge of the slope until your spinner is centered in the horizontal red line of the target. You have now bench standed your fighter. At which point turn off the engine(s) and set the target out to the ranges you are interested in and shoot. Helps to set your arena settings to 10X ammo for this.

The gunnery practice terrain I've been working on has a slope like that with three different angles due to different length landing gear. Setting up the fighter inched over the slope to level it is a PITA but, it works. That eliminates the changes in nose azimuth introduced by your guns firing while auto level flying with the target out in front.

If you simply want to inspect the results of your convergence settings. Spawn and sit on the runway. Bring up the target at your desired range along with heading and tail dragger fighters need and azimuth between 10-14 while nose wheel about 5-7. The bench standing method is more to understand the relationship of your bullet impact points and gunsight reticle at different ranges. Still in actual furballs, much of that goes out the window.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.