Author Topic: AHIII Engine sounds  (Read 1306 times)

Offline pops04

• Zinc Member
AHIII Engine sounds
« on: September 24, 2016, 03:42:05 PM »
Friday night 23 Sep 2016 I went into the arena after the downloads completed and jumped into a Pony. Well let me tell you that damn P-51 sounded like a lawn mower with a massive exhaust leak. Well silly me I jumped into a 47M and it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders I don't know what happened to the sounds but right now they really are very poor. But the funny thing when you have another aircraft fly by you the engine sounds normal.

Pops04 :o

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: AHIII Engine sounds
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2016, 06:41:55 PM »
Put your headset on if it's the kind that fully covers your ears. Then pipe the engine sound from the cockpit through your speakers. Online the youtube videos recording flights have the mic open in the cockpit, not sealed inside of padded cover like your ears are with head phones when you fly in planes like P51s and P47s. Those leather flying helmets they wore in WW2 doubled as ear protectors. 
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2016, 08:53:07 PM »
Listen to the game, listen to youtube. The sounds today are closer to the real thing than you think. No one listened when we were saying that all along. Good thing it's not at 140db plus, huh?
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2016, 02:29:43 PM »
I'm not exactly happy with the current engine sounds. Hopefully the custom engines will be ready soon. I feel like every plane sounds the same.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2016, 02:34:30 PM »
Friday night 23 Sep 2016 I went into the arena after the downloads completed and jumped into a Pony. Well let me tell you that damn P-51 sounded like a lawn mower with a massive exhaust leak. Well silly me I jumped into a 47M and it sounded like it was running on 4 cylinders I don't know what happened to the sounds but right now they really are very poor. But the funny thing when you have another aircraft fly by you the engine sounds normal.

Pops04 :o

Check your sound setup in clipboard options preferences game sounds, check headset/speaker selections and check your engine volume.

Offline colmbo

• Gold Member
      • Photos
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2016, 03:53:30 PM »
Listen to the game, listen to youtube. The sounds today are closer to the real thing than you think. No one listened when we were saying that all along. Good thing it's not at 140db plus, huh?

What it sounds like flying one of these things real life is painful.  L O U D  - engine/prop/exhaust noise, rattles and vibration from the airframe, the shriek of the wind whistling through canopy/window seams.  I laugh watching movies where the characters talk casually to each other. :) In the B-24 it was a noise-cancelling headset plus earplugs.

The sound of the Storch engine on shutdown is perfect.
Columbo

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fate whispers to the warrior "You cannot withstand the storm" and the warrior whispers back "I AM THE STORM"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2016, 04:05:14 PM »
Used to fly with my father on his Beach 18 cargo runs, we had to wear headsets in the cabin. Even had to wear a headset in the L19 and T28. It's like the difference between wearing a hearing protection headset while running a chainsaw or not wearing one. I'm curious how Hitech got a mic pickup inside of someone's ear cup for all of these cockpit recordings in the game.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Dawger

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2016, 04:21:09 PM »
Used to fly with my father on his Beach 18 cargo runs, we had to wear headsets in the cabin. Even had to wear a headset in the L19 and T28. It's like the difference between wearing a hearing protection headset while running a chainsaw or not wearing one. I'm curious how Hitech got a mic pickup inside of someone's ear cup for all of these cockpit recordings in the game.

Where and when was he running Beech 18's? I did a bunch of that myself in the early 90's and I have serious hearing loss in my left ear as a result, even wearing ear plugs and David Clark head clamps.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2016, 04:33:53 PM »
Mountain Air out of BWI. They had a bunch of Beech 18 including one of those conversions to tricycle gear, turbo props, and extended fuselage. Worked at Bay Bridge for a summer when I was a teen. Most planes larger than a Cessna inside of 100ft behind them when you are standing out side are deafening until they taxi away. In front is quieter but, I feared the props....... :O
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2016, 07:21:57 PM »
What I've found w\ the engine sounds are that for my rig the in game sounds at setting level of 60 (I had cut sound levels of all AH Beta sounds during the Beta back to 60 from the default level of 80 for the very same reasons) seem to be "over boosted" in sound level and resonance even more than they were in the Beta which cause my Sennheiser GM4E headphones to distort the output. Since I've just got done moving my setup to my new "man cave game room" (back bedroom converted to a gaming room w\ wired Ethernet access ran from the den to this rear bedroom) and switching to my Logitech Z623 2.1 THX-Certified speakers using my SB X7 DAC-AMP in SBX mode the deep engine sounds of the Merlin coming from the subwoofer was so distorted it was bad.....until I went in the game and dialed all sound levels back from 60 to 40 then put the X7 in Direct mode (plays the sound as sourced by AHIII...by-passes the SBX software) and let the X7 amp the sourced sound up to the full 70W output capacity.................

This made a HUGE difference afterwards....all sounds were coming thru the Logitech's clean w\ good, smooth and powerful resonance. I'm gonna love the acoustics of these Logitech's in the new Pudgieland................... ...

:aok  :D :rock

I wonder if the recent change to the latest vers of FMOD Studio had something to do w\ this......like some improvement in the latest vers sound processing capability\fidelity over the prior vers w\ the sound sampled files being sampled at the same rate in both vers?

I know I'm probably not saying this in a more coherent way so some of you gurus interpret this for clarity....................

Not meaning it in a bad way........

:old:

:salute
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2016, 07:01:03 AM »
I thought the same way until someone posted a video of their ride in a P-51...  The ingame sound is very close to the real thing. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org