Author Topic: HOTAS Warthog - need some tips  (Read 1724 times)

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
      • http://www.northotwing.com/wing/
HOTAS Warthog - need some tips
« on: October 02, 2016, 06:08:04 AM »
For my birthday ( yes, 18th :D ) I got Thurstmaster Warthog. Need some help with configuration.

I always ( Saitek x45 ) has a view system dating back to WB. Two separate sticksets, toggled using pinky on the stick. And views as follows:

Stick set 1
Hat up - look up
hat back - look back
hat left look left
hat right look right

stick set 2
hat up - up forward
hat back - back up
hat left - left up
hat right - right up

that gave me a full range of vision all around without much thinking about it.

On Warthog hat is situatied very high up, there are two other "hats" however they perform as buttons or combinations of thereof.

While AH recognizes buttons pressed at the same time ( back and left making - left back 45 angle ) and in that are it works, mixing in forward/up view screws things up.
Up ( being stright up ) and left at the same time gives left up view where i'd like to get 45 deg angle to the left view...

Any workaround ?

Also, any suggestions as to how to map all those switches and controls ? Not used to so many of them, however I'd gladly learn. Hotas users, come help newbie please !!! :)

Thanks a bunch,

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: HOTAS Warthog - need some tips
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2016, 06:50:01 AM »
If you want to have more complex button programs try TARGET software that is free from Thrustmaster.  With TARGET, the button combinations are just about endless.  There are a couple of versions.  One is graphical interface that really makes it easy to use.

As you expand your AH experience you will want to try tanks and bombers.  The buttons you need will become clear.
Just go through the list of functions in AH.
Here are few of my fighter uses.

auto-climb
auto level
On the p-38 engine selection
RPM
I use the slider for elevator trim
If you join a squad you will need a two radio buttons
flaps
secondary weapon fire for rockets and bombs
weapon selection
mode selection for special setups
call up the clipboard
zoom button
zoom in and out
zoom in and out on clipboard

With TARGET you can even do salvo selection or set a particular climb speed.

Offline pipz

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2016, 07:08:53 AM »
Happy Birthday! Nice gift!  :aok  :cheers:
Silence tells me secretly everything.

Montreal! Free the Pitt Bulls!!!!!

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2016, 07:32:41 AM »
Randy1, thanks for info. I was joking about being a newbie and all,check out my join date :)

I sent you a PM , not sure if you got it. If you could send me a config file it would be a great start. E-mail in PM.

Thanks,

Bart

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2016, 07:54:00 AM »
I use a warthog and for my joystick hat i have it looking around except pushing it to the 8 position puts my head forward and up to look over the nose as much as possible.

For up/down I use a hat on my throttle.

On the throttle I also have the slider and another hat switch mapped to move pilot left/right.

The momentary toggle switches are set to Auto Climb and Auto Level in the forward position and auto angle and auto wingman in the rear position.

The bottom 3 switches I have mapped to change planes in a bomber formation.

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2016, 08:17:38 AM »
Randy1, thanks for info. I was joking about being a newbie and all,check out my join date :)

I sent you a PM , not sure if you got it. If you could send me a config file it would be a great start. E-mail in PM.

Thanks,

Bart

Bart another person's config file is not a good way to start.  The reason is you have to set the buttons to match your mindset's priority on your fingers.  Sounds strange but my left index finger might have a higher ease of use than your left index finger as an example.  Add to that once you make the set you can remember it easier.

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2016, 08:28:27 AM »

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2016, 08:41:15 AM »
Bobo, you have a very busy thumb there! Do you use trackir?

On my CH I have it set up so my right thumb doesn't need to touch anything except the hat during combat. I want to be able to use flaps, talk on either channel, drop gear, hit wep, zoom in, and toggle trim (basically anything I need to do) all while looking any direction.

I use the other thumb switches for things I generally only need while looking forward: weapon toggle, elevator trim, etc.

By all means do what works for you, but I couldn't imagine having to take my eyes off a con to raise or lower flaps.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2016, 09:16:50 AM »
No, waiting for Oculus to drop down to the developer kit prices like they said the consumer model would cost.

Or at least less than $500

Offline fd ski

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2016, 12:20:10 PM »
Bobo, thanks, that looks interesting, you inspired me a little.

As for view system, you went a different path then I did. I guess my hands are too small to use the gray switch for views, for up modifier i use sticksets, to each his own. I was hoping to use one of lower hats for views, however they are actually buttons, hence the question.

B

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2016, 03:01:34 PM »
No, waiting for Oculus to drop down to the developer kit prices like they said the consumer model would cost.

Or at least less than $500

Check out Razer's HDK2.  Less expensive than both the Rift and Vive, it's open source so there will much more of a 3rd party selection for peripherals and it's easy to upgrade.  When an upgrade comes out, you just purchase the upgrade kit, without having to buy a new VR set.  It will also work on any VR game that supports either the Rift and/or Vive.   
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2016, 03:19:08 PM »

As for view system, you went a different path then I did. I guess my hands are too small to use the gray switch for views, for up modifier i use sticksets, to each his own. I was hoping to use one of lower hats for views, however they are actually buttons, hence the question.

B

Don't rest your hand on the shelf. Put it where it reaches the view hat easily. If you have trouble maintaining that position put a spacer on the shelf.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2016, 05:25:50 PM »
I would not fly without my TrackIR, it takes quite some time to get used to it, but SA gets so much better.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2016, 05:56:37 PM »

B

The Black hat that I use for flaps and rudder trim is 8 position so it would work for views.

Offline Gman

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2016, 06:07:06 PM »
Randy's advice is great IMO, using another player's setup will never feel as right as just setting up your own - you can use them as a general guide, but I've never once stuck with another player's profile and always made my own, or changed theirs if I grabbed it.

One thing I found with the Warthog - I use all the higher end Hotas, have quite a collection now, but typically prefer the CH Fighterstick for AH as it combines the best precision and lightest movement along with decent quality.  Using the thumb hat for views, I always used the pinky switch on the bottom of the front of the stick for "look up", so I could combine hat views with look up quickly.  Using the Warthog, it's very tough to do this if you have large hands, or even medium hands I'd wager.  That same pinky switch isn't on the front of the stick, but angled toward the 11 oclock position making it harder to press without turning your wrist a bit, plus the larger vertical switch/paddle thing if you want to use that instead for "look up" means your pinky is floating in space instead of on the stick.  So, using the WH for me meant changing how I had done things for over 10 years when it came out, so far as flying AH went.

I stuck with my CH sticks/throttle for AH as a result, and use the TM and other custom stuff for DCS and other sims where rapid SA/head movement isn't as critical I guess.

I have trackIR too, don't use it as much now that i have VR, but even in AH I always found using thumb hats/buttons faster in close combat than tIR was for me, so I would habitually flip trackIR off whenever I got into a fight.  I probably should have just forced myself to stick with trackIR by disabling the view buttons on my stick, but now that VR is out it doesn't matter as much, plus with VR in AH it's back to using the hat system for faster dogfighting view switching anyway.