Author Topic: Can't put my hand on the aiming bug!  (Read 3804 times)

Offline HGANCHOR

• Zinc Member
Can't put my hand on the aiming bug!
« on: October 18, 2016, 01:15:52 AM »
Now that we have upgraded to AHIII (to include my mb, processor, ram, vcard), there has to be another bug seeing how I can't hit poooo! But I see some awesome looking trees. :ahand. lol
Lifes hard, it's harder if your stupid!

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
Re: Can't put my hand on the aiming bug!
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 12:16:26 PM »
I cant hit sh*t either but that was true in AHII.  seems I've tried everything from resetting the calibration on the stick (dead pan) to more lead, less lead. The nose of the aircraft floats all over the place.

But that's Ok, because if I didn't have an increase in my blood pressure the drug company might be out of business ! :x 

The household always knows when I'm shot down. LOL  :furious

Hang in there it's all fun!

:salute
The old shall overcome youth, ability and talent by decit, treachery and wickedness

Offline Vudu15

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 01:51:50 PM »
Change aircraft fly something you don't normally fly and shoot like normal. If it doesn't perform try another. I can almost guarantee you that you'll suddenly have one that will point true.
"No odds too great"

"I was a horse ahead at the end" - Nathan Bedford Forrest
Training Video List https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL54E5CE

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 02:29:47 PM »
Gunnery seems different somehow for sure.  I can't put my finger on it either, but it just seems like something we all need to get used to.  Air to air gunnery is complex, and miniscule differences in how we perceive distance, closure, and timing seem to make an enormous difference.  I've been spending a fair bit of time practicing lately.

When Beta first started, I was hitting better than I did in AH2.  The last little while, my gunnery went into the basement.  It's slowly coming back to its normal level more or less lately.

Putting in some time on drones, in the TA, and with the .target command all helped me to get back on track.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Kingpin

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 02:37:14 PM »
I cant hit * either...  The nose of the aircraft floats all over the place.

I may be able to help you with this if you would like to meet up in the TA to work on diagnosing and solving possible issues. 
The "nose floating" around thing can be several different factors:

Unintentional stick input or spiking (which can possibly be fixed with calibration and/or deadband).
Over-correcting or too much stick input (which can possibly be fixed with stick scaling or some gunnery practice routines).
Yaw oscillation from rudder input (which can possibly be reduced with scaling and/or holding steady rudder input when shooting).
"Nose bounce" than can be a result of auto-trim usage (which can possibly be fixed or reduced through angle, speed or manual trim usage.)
Auto-trim "fighting against" your input when flaps are deployed (which can possibly be fixed by disabling auto-trim when flaps are deployed).

I have a few exercises I can walk you through to help determine what issues you may be having.  I could then suggest ways of either fixing or reducing these issues, and even more importantly, suggest a couple practice routines specifically for you that may allow you to see improvement over time.  I have helped some others improve their shooting with these methods in the past.  The real key is finding a practice routine you like and sticking with it.  Shooting is mostly about good timing and good flying together.  These come most quickly from dedicated practice.

Feel free to post here or PM me if you'd like to schedule a time to work on gunnery issues.

<S>
Kingpin

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 02:41:45 PM by Kingpin »
Quote from: bozon
For those of us playing this game for well over a decade, Aces High is more of a social club. The game just provides the framework. I keep logging in for the people and Pipz was the kind that you keep coming to meet again.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2016, 02:38:08 PM »
Could it be because of LAG? :huh I still dont understand enough about lag,whether its connection related or graphics card ineptness? :headscratch: I do however see a lot more "Warping" in AH3. I assume everyone didnt go back to "Dial-up" so may just be a slight bug. I have no idea really! I just use the OLD DRUNKEN POOL shooting trick...and shoot the one in the middle. :aok Or the left if the middle doesnt work for ya :rofl
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2016, 02:40:30 PM »
Remember this, the vast majority of air to air kills were from very close. Eric Hartman who had 352 kills used these tactics:
"His favourite method of attack was to hold fire until extremely close (20 m (66 ft) or less), then unleash a short burst at point-blank range—a technique he learned while flying as wingman of his former commander, Walter Krupinski, who favoured this approach. This technique, as opposed to long-range shooting, allowed him to:

Reveal his position only at the last possible moment
    Compensate for the low muzzle velocity of the slower-firing 30 mm MK 108 equipping some of the later Bf 109 models (though most of his victories were claimed with Messerschmitts equipped with the high-velocity 20mm MG 151 cannon)
    Place his shots accurately with minimum waste of ammunition
    Prevent the adversary from taking evasive actions[9][17]"
From Wikipedia
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2016, 02:49:07 PM »
Just had a thought :rolleyes:   It could be because of different FOV in AH3. I know that in shooting with optics, the more zoom you use the more precise you must aim. I may not have it exact but in my experience,not to brag but its quite extensive, if you are use to shooting at 300 yards at power setting of 3 on scope and then turn up the power to 9, you will notice a big difference in bullet impact as related to crosshair position. To see this first hand I suggest going to the NIKON SPOT ON web site. Pick any round and set the sight in and target distances. Then "Shoot" to see the diffrence now, change the zoom in optic settings and you will see that the point that was for "X" distance before has changed. Sometimes quite dramatically :rock.
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2016, 02:55:34 PM »
OH, and Coppr does make a good point :x OH CRAP, did I say that out loud? :bhead Hope his head swells so much he cant fit it in the cockpit!!! :devil

Sure you can get good hits by firing at 600k  sometimes VERY good hits. The real gunnery doesnt come into play until under 400k IMO :neener:
NOW, Coppr, Dont take it personal....I gave you a compliment! SORT OF :neener: Love ya BROTHER :ahand

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2016, 03:50:25 PM »
A couple of notes.  The amount of lead has changed.  Not saying the model has changed just the way we see it our display screens effects our aiming eye.  I had the same problems dive bombing. 

Now another point.  On my TV/monitor I have a game setting that is designed to reduced display lag.  By accident, I switched the picture mode to one of the other settings.  I went all night having a hard time hitting anything until I changed the setting.

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Refresh rate change?

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2016, 05:46:59 PM »
Could it be because of LAG? :huh I still dont understand enough about lag,whether its connection related or graphics card ineptness? :headscratch: I do however see a lot more "Warping" in AH3. I assume everyone didnt go back to "Dial-up" so may just be a slight bug. I have no idea really! I just use the OLD DRUNKEN POOL shooting trick...and shoot the one in the middle. :aok Or the left if the middle doesnt work for ya :rofl

What's wrong with dial-up?  :old:

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2016, 12:32:01 AM »
Here we go!!! Dang I love you guys!! Fellow Smart arses!!!  :rock Really, you guys are my life! I know could be considered a sad thing! To answer you though, absolutely nothing!! As long as it doesnt cause you to warp around my bullets,lol :devil

Offline Marco

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2016, 07:39:00 AM »
Change aircraft fly something you don't normally fly and shoot like normal. If it doesn't perform try another. I can almost guarantee you that you'll suddenly have one that will point true.

Remember this, the vast majority of air to air kills were from very close. Eric Hartman who had 352 kills used these tactics:
"His favourite method of attack was to hold fire until extremely close (20 m (66 ft) or less), then unleash a short burst at point-blank range—a technique he learned while flying as wingman of his former commander, Walter Krupinski, who favoured this approach.

I agree with both of these, and something I too should really follow more often; find the right aircraft(s) and try different approaches when going in for the kill. :salute

Offline Driver

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2016, 05:04:44 PM »
Great feedback everyone and Thanks!  you :rock

I will give all of these ideas some thought.  One thing I have noticed that the nose float (I call it) really is bad the closer I get to the target.  I too only like to shoot inside of 400 but it has gotten bad of late, or at least much worse than AHII.   Distance and deflection shots seem to be OK.

maybe it just my old hands that shake who knows but I do appreciate the feedback and will continue to work on it.

Even if I can't hit squat I still love this game, high blood pressure and all. LOL  :x

thanks and  :salute
The old shall overcome youth, ability and talent by decit, treachery and wickedness