Author Topic: fixing a sight  (Read 1005 times)

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
fixing a sight
« on: November 19, 2016, 02:37:17 PM »
It has been way too long since I messed with sights in this game, and I have lost my p51 sight made a long time ago by midnight.  I have a copy that I saved to photo bucket but when I saved it as a bmp and put it in the sights folder it turned pink like it is here.  Anyone know how to fix it to work in III
« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 02:42:21 PM by dmdchief »
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
Re: fixing a sight
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2016, 03:03:56 PM »
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 10:50:15 AM »
It has to be an 8bit bmp. It may also need a black background now instead of magenta. Yours is a 128x128 so let me look at it and update it for AH3.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 02:14:31 PM »
Updated for AH3 1 to 1 scale and it is now named "dmdcheif.bmp".

Magenta no longer works as a mask.

You can unzip the two files directly into your sights directory. You need both files for this to work just like all of the default historic sights in AH3 I created for the game. Dmdcheif.mil is why it shows up sized correctly in your gunsight. If you don't have it the gunsight will look really really tiny. You may want to play with the alpha slider and now while you are in flight you can bring it up and bright\dim the gunsight.

These two files are your gunsight.
dmdcheif.bmp
dmdcheif.mil

All of the historic sights for AH3 rocket and bomb aids work as designed due to Hitech modeling the physics correctly. Rockets needed the aircraft to be between 275 and 300 true speed for aiming aids to work or they dropped short. Russian and German rockets were inaccurate as heck outside of 400m.

Google drive has a small down arrow in the upper right hand corner, click on that for your download.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BwrokXEXneUQblFRSUtuRmdSVjg

dmdcheif's gunsight

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 06:52:29 PM »
thank you sooooo much

salute
ab8aac/dmdchief

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2016, 07:55:30 PM »
works perfect   SALUTE

ab8aac/dmdchief

Offline snkbyt

• Zinc Member
      • http://none
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2016, 12:46:35 AM »
Any tips for using this sight for bombing and rockets?

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2016, 12:52:15 PM »
Make sure you are 275-300TA for rockets.

The top box set corresponds to the AAF MK8\N9\L3 100Mil ring with rocket aid for firing at angles from 400yds. The bottom box set is for level flight at 300TA between 500-1000ft at 400-800yds.

Below are the default WW2 historic reticles with bomb and rocket aid for the game super imposed on chief's sight. They are to game scale for milliradians and the aids work as published from the AAF manuals in the AH3 game physics because Hitech programmed it that accurately.

I chose the K14A fixed reticle with bomb and rocket aid and the L3 reticle with bomb and rocket aid. If they look the same, all AAF gunsights used these patterns imposed into their reticle plate mounted inside the gunsight projection barrel.

The reason for the "V" is each arm represents the wing mounts for the rockets or bombs if you line up favoring one side. Aim center and your rockets or bombs hit 10-15 feet to each side of center. So you want to use a single rocket to hit something, aim using one of the "V" arms as your center line to the target. You prove this to yourself offline with the lead computing dive bombing site enabled while firing a single rocket at a tank drone. Hitech really got the physics very close to real world.

If you are not at 275-300TA before you fire rockets, they will drop like lead bricks.

L3 from the P38L super imposed.

K14A fixed reticle from the P51D, P47N, P47D40.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline snkbyt

• Zinc Member
      • http://none
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2016, 02:51:33 PM »
THX bustr

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2016, 01:10:54 AM »
Will the old dot o death sight work in AHIII, or has anyone updated it if need be?

Edit:
Ok, I loaded up the dot o death but it's kind of dim. Is there a setting to brighten it or does the bmp need reworked?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 02:15:04 AM by MajWoody »
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2016, 07:05:10 AM »
In preferences, gunsights there is an option to brighten the gunsight (slider).

Dobs
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2016, 09:14:40 PM »
are there any historical rkt sights for spits and mossies?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2016, 10:42:31 PM »
British produced a sight head for the MKII that allowed a 5 degree tilt in the reflector plate to move the reticle lower for rockets. It was designated the MKIIL.

You can always copy the rocket aid from the L3 and paste it into the MKII and name it something else. Just remember to make a .mil file for it with the same name and the number 256 in it. Or open one in notepad then save as, change it to the new name and add a .txt after the .mil. It will save in the proper ascii format. Then after it's saved, rename that file by removing the .txt.

Or only copy the center dot from the L3 rocket aid and paste that in as the rocket aim pipper. Just make sure the new bmp is saved as an 8bit or it won't show in the gunsight.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline MajWoody

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2016, 02:36:10 PM »
In preferences, gunsights there is an option to brighten the gunsight (slider).

Dobs
Perfect. Thank you Dobs.
Lets keep the stupid to a minimum.
Old Age and Treachery, will overcome youth and skill EVERYTIME