Author Topic: Ditching question...  (Read 1905 times)

Offline saggs

• Silver Member
      • www.kirksagers.com
Ditching question...
« on: December 10, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »
So I'm in a furball near a friendly base tonight.  Doing pretty well for myself.. decide to land my kills post haste, drop gear and flaps and slip it down as quick as possible, land on the grass between runways and taxi to the concrete pad in front of the hangar and hit .ef     .... and it gives me a ditch, had no damage at all, whole airplane on concrete.    Curious so I tried just launching from the hangar, taxing 5 ft, and .ef  and gives me a ditch.  Earlier I had also gotten a ditch for landing a Storch in front of the hangar at a Vbase as well.  What gives?

Used to be as long as you ended sortie on friendly concrete it counted, why the change?  How on earth can parking your airplane in front of the hangar with zero damage be considered ditching?  Heck taxing to the hangar takes more effort then shutting down on the runway...

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Ditching question...
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
if you bring up the notepad, it will turn the "end sortie" if it is a good landing, red if it is going to be ditch

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2016, 01:55:02 PM »
So I'm in a furball near a friendly base tonight.  Doing pretty well for myself.. decide to land my kills post haste, drop gear and flaps and slip it down as quick as possible, land on the grass between runways and taxi to the concrete pad in front of the hangar and hit .ef     .... and it gives me a ditch, had no damage at all, whole airplane on concrete.    Curious so I tried just launching from the hangar, taxing 5 ft, and .ef  and gives me a ditch.  Earlier I had also gotten a ditch for landing a Storch in front of the hangar at a Vbase as well.  What gives?

Used to be as long as you ended sortie on friendly concrete it counted, why the change?  How on earth can parking your airplane in front of the hangar with zero damage be considered ditching?  Heck taxing to the hangar takes more effort then shutting down on the runway...

There are far fewer places to land successfully from the air and from a gv compared to AHII.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 12:56:22 PM »
No way to know why without film... 

On runway, grass or other (steel?) gives me a safe landing.  It's possible one wheel was off the surface, so you got the ditch. 
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 01:04:38 PM »
Huh, good to know.

if you bring up the notepad, it will turn the "end sortie" if it is a good landing, red if it is going to be ditch
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 04:17:56 PM »
I use .ef to end sortie...I ditched a tempy at a field the other day after rolling up to the backside of the hanger at the end of the runway...I was on concrete or the pad completely there was no excuse for the ditch... :noid

I landed a -4 at a 2mile vbase after navigating trees for about 10 minutes I got up to the vh and .ef and got a successful landing and was on no pad of anykind...

I still believe we should be able to get a successful landing if we are on the base...I understand the being on concrete part but there is grass strips now...

I'm not going to pull up my clipboard to end sortie...if I'm on a surface that is on a base and grey I better get a successful landing...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 04:39:50 PM »
If you pull into the hanger you will see the "end sortie" change from red to green! So while being on the taxi ways or any pads might not give you a "successful" landing as Fugi said you can check that with the clipboard,then adjust as needed.

YMMV.

:salute

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 05:08:15 PM »
if I'm on a surface that is on a base and grey I better get a successful landing...

Or you're going to do what ?       
Wag more, bark less.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 05:19:44 PM »
Or you're going to do what ?       

I'm gonna come back here and incessantly whine until someone pays attention to me while holding my breath on my way to my safe space... :neener:
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 05:53:45 PM »
I'm gonna come back here and incessantly whine until someone pays attention to me while holding my breath on my way to my safe space... :neener:

That sounds about right.  If it were me I would also cast aspersions upon their moral turpitude.
Wag more, bark less.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 05:57:41 PM »
That sounds about right.  If it were me I would also cast aspersions upon their moral turpitude.

:rofl

Zoney is my friend.
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Kanth

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 07:36:26 PM »
 :rofl
Gone from the game. Please see Spikes or Nefarious for any Ahevents.net admin needs.

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2016, 08:24:47 PM »
This sounds like a terrible idea. Anywhere on concrete, on a base, should be a successful landing. People gotta make some crazy desperate landings sometimes....

Or if you awkwardly break a wing tip on taxi...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 08:27:53 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2016, 09:12:39 PM »
This sounds like a terrible idea. Anywhere on concrete, on a base, should be a successful landing. People gotta make some crazy desperate landings sometimes....

Or if you awkwardly break a wing tip on taxi...

The award for landing well and in the right spot is a successful landing, anything else should not be rewarded, including clipping a wing while taxiing.

America, the land of getting a trophy for participating!

Online DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2016, 09:49:30 PM »
Don't worry I thought about that haha. But if you take it completely seriously in the game it will simply just anger more people. I think landing on the freaking base alone should be enough. Making the restraints even harder, at least for fighters to actually claim their kills, is a bit dull!
« Last Edit: December 15, 2016, 09:51:13 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion