Author Topic: 4K--my opinion of it in AHIII  (Read 1795 times)

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
4K--my opinion of it in AHIII
« on: March 10, 2017, 12:10:30 PM »
Been here almost 6 months now-- and have been in 4k the majority of the time.

Pros: STUNNING!!  CRISP! Beautiful and adds to the immersion.
      -text is scalable and can be configured as desired
      -Icons are able to be sized to users desired readibility level
      -detail is pretty amazing

Cons:
      -Lose long range Tally-Hos due to dot being too small (1/4 size of 1080p dot)
      -Fidelity/crispness of the aircraft being rendered at 4k makes them hard to discern against a clutter background (talking d400ish and greater here). Gangsta tint on the gunsights make it worse...
      -Need a robust system to run it well

Tried going to 1080P yesterday....couldn't do it. Everything looked clunky...like playing a game in 640x480 (for you old farts you remember....'member?) when you are used to playing in 1024 x768:)    I could see dots at distance, but clarity of aircraft inside of 1000 was not the same.  Everything just looked "rough"...

But still, a big <S>! to the Developers for supporting 4k!  It is awesome to look at...especially when its on a 56" TV:) 

My recommendation is to take a look at the coding, and pick a standard size for all dots to be based on resolution. In the world of 1080p, that would be my baseline for size, and then just scale larger resolutions accordingly to even the playing field.

Cheers!
Dobs

PS If you have a 4k monitor or TV...you can take a look at some of the vids I have posted up....

Did not include the video as it doesn't appear now and trys to download a .swf file to your computer. 
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM
Fly at 3840x 2160 resolution

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
Re: 4K--my opinion of it in AHIII
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2017, 12:23:50 PM »
For me, I just got my hands on a 32" 1366x768 monitor and I've never been happier.  It's a tad more pixelated, but I'll take that considering I can see dots as far out as they can appear, it seems.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 12:40:07 PM »
Jusr FYI Dobs, when things get down to a single pixel in size, we have no control over the size it appears on your monitor.  A pixel is a pixel.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2017, 01:31:38 PM »
I just read a column about monitor resolutions, saying that the smallest dot a human eye can see is one minute which is 1/60 of a degree. Knowing that we can see some 190 degrees sideways and 135 vertically, the resolution of human eyes would be something like 11400x8100. Now that they already can build curved monitors and 8K ones, getting a half sphere using that resolution in front of us should be available in a few years!

The thing is, unlike pixels on a screen a minute doesn't have a set physical size. Instead the size is related to distance. Thus if you want to see single pixels you'd have to get a screen big enough or move closer. So if you've got a 22" 1080p screen, a 44" screen in 4K has the same pixel size and the image will look as smooth or rough, only the surface area being quadruple. As for moving closer VR goggles are about as close as we currently can get.

Further, if you're like Wiley and prefer bigger pixels, you'd need a 90" 4k monitor for the same pixel size - or a nine monitor system of those 1366x768 ones!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 01:47:43 PM »
Yep.  It's DPI that matters.  I'd love to have the pennies for that 90" 4k screen, but for now I'm happy with this.  Next step will likely be an Oculus, but that's a ways off.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2017, 02:05:11 PM »
IIRC our vision has a roughly 6 degree focus area of relatively clear crisp vision. Anything outside of 18 degrees is considered peripheral vision. There is a lot of research going on into foveated rendered for games.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
You may well be right there, the peripheral vision mostly can see movement. Or, quoted from the column, for the cavemen it was more important to see the sabretooth attacking than admiring his stripes.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2017, 04:28:37 PM »
Jusr FYI Dobs, when things get down to a single pixel in size, we have no control over the size it appears on your monitor.  A pixel is a pixel.

I think what he is saying is that at 9k on a 1080 the dot shows up and is 1 pixel. For a 4K the same dot shows at 9k, dot it is a 3x3 pixels as the "dot".

This way while I have only a 1080, and he has the 4k we both get the same tally info at 9k.

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2017, 05:59:29 PM »
I think what he is saying is that at 9k on a 1080 the dot shows up and is 1 pixel. For a 4K the same dot shows at 9k, dot it is a 3x3 pixels as the "dot".

This way while I have only a 1080, and he has the 4k we both get the same tally info at 9k.

Thank you Fugitive.....sums it up nicely.

Skuzzy..I'm not asking for an advantage...just equal footing.  I understand it requires you to recode for resolutions, so I'm tossing it out as something to think about for the future.

As evident in Wiley post, he has a lower res monitor "which looks pixilated" but he is willing to live with that for the ability to see "dots" at a distance.  I would think you would want this game to be seen in all its beauty:)

Cheers!
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2017, 06:48:01 PM »
      -Lose long range Tally-Hos due to dot being too small (1/4 size of 1080p dot)

Well that'll happen when you have a sub 32" monitor/TV @ 4K.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 06:54:38 PM »
Well that'll happen when you have a sub 32" monitor/TV @ 4K.
56" TV at 4K...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 02:28:06 AM »
Without adding any technical stats or opinions, I have wondered for a while what the 'default' resolution of AH is.

I have 3 systems at home.  A 3 x 30" monitor, a 30" 4K monitor and a 27" 144hz monitor.  I know that when I play world of warships on any of them it feels the same in terms of lead and angle for the shots I am trying.

With AH I feel it is different with each set up.  I cannot play AH on my 3 screen setup.  It just feels wrong.  On the 4K I feel the same as dobs, I prefer the 27". It 'feels' more natural.

So that leads back to my original thought, is there a 'default' resolution and is it being scaled?

Kinda like the old 4:3  movies scaled to 16:9 screens.  They still work but look a little odd.  Is that happening in AH?

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 05:28:24 AM »

That does not work.  First off, it has nothing to do with the resolution.  It has to do with the pixel size.  The pixel size on a 90" 4K monitor is going to be quite different than the pixel size on a 32" 4K monitor.

There is no way to know what the actual DPI is and you cannot ask the user to input that information or you risk giving them an advantage by simply providing incorrect information.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:37:46 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2017, 09:11:03 AM »
56" TV at 4K...

That's still pretty small. I don't know about your eyesight, but I know mine. I use a 30" 2560x1600 monitor which seems to have the same DPI/pixel size than my 24" 1920x1200 one, meaning the default scaling of 100% is still usable. There's one dead pixel glowing red almost in the middle of the screen. The only time I can see it is when the screen is black, basically only when the computer starts up. Actually, if I didn't know where to look at I wouldn't see it. A single pixel on a high quality screen is tiny, tinier than we might think. As I said, for the pixel size Wiley has a 4K monitor should be 90" if viewed at the same distance.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dobs

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2017, 10:05:36 AM »
That does not work.  First off, it has nothing to do with the resolution.  It has to do with the pixel size.  The pixel size on a 90" 4K monitor is going to be quite different than the pixel size on a 32" 4K monitor.

There is no way to know what the actual DPI is and you cannot ask the user to input that information or you risk giving them an advantage by simply providing incorrect information.
Good info Skuzzy.. next explanation to date. 

So basically going to be blind until near icon range :)   Ah well...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
GTX 980TI
Intel I7-6700K @4GHZ
32GB RAM