Author Topic: gvrs should check out this recent russian ww2 movie.....  (Read 903 times)

Offline badjon

• Zinc Member
gvrs should check out this recent russian ww2 movie.....
« on: March 21, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »
its a russian flick with english subtitles and its free to watch in high def on you tube  " WHITE TIit has some good shots of running t34s and alot of ww2 destroyed tanks including some german tanks as well as some russian kt models.....it has some really good shots of just how spartan the interior was on the t34s..a really well made movie with some good battle scenes
 john

Offline Volron

• Platinum Member
Re: gvrs should check out this recent russian ww2 movie.....
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2017, 03:23:57 PM »
I saw the movie a few days ago, and I will admit that I was pleasantly surprised.  Not an actual Tiger though. :)

For those of you who are curious it is a Russian movie called "White Tiger".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiGDJ5-dXaI

:aok
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline oakranger

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.slybirds.com/
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2017, 04:27:14 PM »
Saw it.  Did not line it but sure others will. 
Oaktree

56th Fighter group

Offline hulk31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 04:41:56 PM »

An entertaining movie!
But very unrealistic. Anyone who has driven a vehicle in AH knows vehicles can't drive through brush and push over trees! In the movie, a tank even drives through a log cabin. OMG!  :devil
Tunisia 1944 Scenario Participant

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 04:54:52 PM »
So can we have the modified white tiger added to AH3

Chuikov

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 07:43:09 PM »

An entertaining movie!
But very unrealistic. Anyone who has driven a vehicle in AH knows vehicles can't drive through brush and push over trees! In the movie, a tank even drives through a log cabin. OMG!  :devil

It was never meant to be a realistic movie, although there are some nice shots of T-34s in it. Its a metaphoric movie chock full of symbolism about evil and good and the nature of man.

The White Tiger is the Devil/Evil nature of man. The lead character is the man born again on the battlefield to lead the fight against evil. Remember when the lead character, the burned tank driver, said "every 30, 40, or 50 years the tanks talk to each other", or something to that effect? He was referring to how every 30 or so years Humanity finds enough reason to try and destroy itself and always has thru history, AND it will happen again. Again why the main character and his tank dissapear in smoke at the end of the movie.

All this is why the movie itself stayed on the same patch of ground even tho the Russian advance was "50 KMs a day". The Major was the conflicted one who was trying to find spirituality/God in that awful mess of a slaughter.

In short its the "Slaughterhouse Five" of tanks movies. The production values are quite high, the acting is excellent, there are some nice shots in the movie, and its definitely worth watching. But you cant look at it like a "Saving PVT Ryan". Its an allegory of the madness of war, the cruelty of men, the conflicts of faith, and the better angels of our nature that allow us to stand up to and defeat evil.

Even the very end is symbolic as the guy who started it all is making his case at the Altar of the Almighty.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2017, 11:29:42 AM »
They were working on an actual Tiger 1 replica (I've seen pictures, looked great!) but it wasn't ready for the movie in time.  That messed with me a bit.

Also, crewing a T-34/85 with 3 people, and the commander acting as a driver was too far-fetched. 
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2017, 03:17:09 PM »
     I thought the Matilda on the train of wrecks was a neat touch.
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline hulk31st

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2017, 03:24:39 PM »
Rich46yo:

My comment above about tanks, trees and buildings was meant to be sarcastic. :huh

I liked the movie and wanted to comment about the unrealistic foliage we put up with in AH III.

No offense meant towards an excellent film.

:salute
Tunisia 1944 Scenario Participant

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2017, 06:33:17 PM »
     I thought the Matilda on the train of wrecks was a neat touch.

Yes! The knocked-out tanks on the train were very authentic, as were the other knocked-out tanks.  That part of the movie they did a very good job at.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2017, 07:36:55 PM »
Rich46yo:

My comment above about tanks, trees and buildings was meant to be sarcastic. :huh

I liked the movie and wanted to comment about the unrealistic foliage we put up with in AH III.

No offense meant towards an excellent film.

:salute

No you made a good point even if I missed the sarcasm. A lot of it was very unrealistic. There was virtually no use of CG and it would be very difficult making a tank movies without it nowdays. I have no idea where they found all those 34s, and they were real 34s.

The Tiger didnt look to bad frontally. The 88 cal audio effects were superb. I thought the pyro technics were very good, as was the rest of the audio. I watched it a 2nd time, it was a very well shot and acted movie.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2017, 08:10:42 AM »
http://ww2live.com/en/content/world-war-2-sale-1942-soviet-t-34-medium-tank

With 55000 units produced, there still seems to be a few floating around for sale. I can see how one may come in handy during Florida seasonal traffic. BTW I did enjoy the movie.

Chuikov