Author Topic: I'm new here, some questions, please  (Read 4283 times)

Offline F_Aces

• Zinc Member
I'm new here, some questions, please
« on: August 27, 2017, 07:30:18 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this game ( flight sim ) and i'd like to ask you some questions
First of all : does it support mods / JSGME ? Is that allowed ?
How do i add ( if possible ) clouds ? Couldn't find through the menu
Are the many players, online ? I'm still in the trial period. After the 2 weeks trial, could i still test the aircrafts, offline ?
What about SweetFX ?
I'm using the Saitek X56 but i can't figure it out how to map some buttons on the joystick, like zoom in, zoom out.
Same story for the internal / external view, i have those on my throttle, for any other flights sim.
Thank you in advice, any advices are welcome.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:31:57 AM by F_Aces »
Intel I7 4790K / 16 GB DDR3 / GA Z97X-UD5H / GTX 1080 / 4K Samsung UE55KS7500 / X56 Rhino /TrackIR 5/ Creative X7

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: I'm new here, some questions, please
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2017, 07:47:16 AM »
Hello everyone,
I'm new to this game ( flight sim ) and i'd like to ask you some questions
First of all : does it support mods / JSGME ? Is that allowed ?

No.
Player generated content are plane skins (have to be historical) and terrains (if meant for the Melee Arena they have to get approval first)

How do i add ( if possible ) clouds ? Couldn't find through the menu

This is part of the terrain design / arena setup

Are the many players, online ? I'm still in the trial period. After the 2 weeks trial, could i still test the aircrafts, offline ?

In the Melee arena there are, at this very moment, 75 players. Generally numbers there range from ~20 to ~200 depending on day & time.
After the trial, you still can setup your own personal online arena (for up to 16 players) and use all the arenas shown as 'free', for example the WW1 arena. Of course, Offline is always available, too.

What about SweetFX ?

A few folks use it, I think AKAK could tell you more about it.

I'm using the Saitek X56 but i can't figure it out how to map some buttons on the joystick, like zoom in, zoom out.
Same story for the internal / external view, i have those on my throttle, for any other flights sim.

To map your stick, click Options-Controls-Map Controller. Double click on the button you'd like to map:

Take note that inflight external views are disabled for fighters by arena setting in the Melee and most other arenas.

The making of this post consumed 1 Bf 109K-4.  :D
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 07:50:16 AM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
Elite:Dangerous: Snailman

Offline F_Aces

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »
Thank you very much, Lusche
Okay, i tried this with the Options-Controls-Map Controller, already, many times.
But which button number ( numbers ) is the one for this ?
On the Saitek software, those 2 buttons are F11 and F12, and i tried to map F11 and F12, but not working
https://pixxxels.org/image/6iu860it1/
Intel I7 4790K / 16 GB DDR3 / GA Z97X-UD5H / GTX 1080 / 4K Samsung UE55KS7500 / X56 Rhino /TrackIR 5/ Creative X7

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2017, 07:59:11 AM »
Hi and welcome to the addiction!

The only mods you can make is for sounds. They're made using FMOD. Only those having the same sounds installed can hear them. Another type of mods available for players is skins. There's some rules about historical accuracy for those to be published.

Clouds can't be added to the online game. If you like that kind of stuff, the Terrain Editor allows you to make new maps including clouds. If you're very good at it, you can even get your map published and into rotation.

All of the players you see in the online arenas are real people with the exception of Mission Arenas, where the AI players are named AI##. As you've noticed, you can't see the name of enemies and that holds true even for the Mission Arena. The enemy can as well be a real person.

After the two weeks trial you can still fly offline as much as you like. There you can also fiddle with arena settings like winds, hardness of objects, ammo loads etc. There's also free online arenas.

People have used SweetFX, there used to be quite a lot of discussion about it during the transition from AH2 to the current version.

If you go to Clipboard>Options>Controls>Map Controllers and choose your stick, double pressing a button (or choosing with your mouse) will open a list of available functions. Zoom In/Out are under View on the list. For the most part you don't need any dedicated software for controller setup. Some like them, though, if they want to use macros.

External view is available in bombers and vehicles only in the online arenas. The default button is F3. Offline it's available for all planes.

[Edit] Lusche the Lightning Finger beat me, again.  :salute

« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:01:55 AM by Bizman »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2017, 08:00:45 AM »
Thank you very much, Lusche
Okay, i tried this with the Options-Controls-Map Controller, already, many times.
But which button number ( numbers ) is the one for this ?
On the Saitek software, those 2 buttons are F11 and F12, and i tried to map F11 and F12, but not working
https://pixxxels.org/image/6iu860it1/

When you are in the mapping mode in Aces High, a push on the button will jump you to the correct button in the list.

I would not recommend mixing mapping in AH and Saitek software at the same time, you migh end up with different, conflicting mappings to the same button

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2017, 08:04:41 AM »
Welcome F_Aces!

To add a couple of items to Lusche's response:

Aces High also allows the creation of custom sounds and sound packs.  These can be freely distributed among players and used in any arena, online or off.  There is a BB forum for sound modders here:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/board,583.0.html

External views are allowed offline everywhere in every aircraft and vehicle.  Online, they are restricted in single place aircraft once your wheels leave the ground.  Basically it simulates the better SA a multi-crewed aircraft would have, with gunner stations and various points in the aircraft, and realistically restricts single-place aircraft views to cockpit only.   They are enabled on the ground though, so players can have a chance to look at custom skins while online.

EDIT: man you guys are fast!  I thought F4 was the default external view key?  I  know I use F4 followed by F8 to enable external panning view...
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:09:40 AM by oboe »

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2017, 08:13:41 AM »
I thought F4 was the default external view key?  I  know I use F4 followed by F8 to enable external panning view...

F4 is plane chase view mode. F3 is default external, F5 is what is commonly (incorretly) known as "god view" (actually it's called 'View Mode Fixed')

Offline F_Aces

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:18:33 AM »
I can't fix it, with the zoom in / out
The only key working for this, is the Z button.
Is that all, with zoom in and out ??  Once i press Z, it zoom in a bit, and Z again, zooms out a bit.
I thought i could zoom in and out, more.
Thank you

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2017, 08:21:20 AM »
I can't fix it, with the zoom in / out
The only key working for this, is the Z button.
Is that all, with zoom in and out ??  Once i press Z, it zoom in a bit, and Z again, zooms out a bit.
I thought i could zoom in and out, more.
Thank you

Z is just the zoom toggle. Look at the picture I posted, you will see I mapped Zoom In Zoom Out to two buttons on my X-52pro. You have to toggle zoom, then you can zoom in&out with those buttons (or the default zooming keys, which I believe to be the bracket keys on your keyboard)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2017, 08:23:11 AM by Lusche »

Offline F_Aces

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2017, 08:43:38 AM »
Okay, i fixed with the map controllers, i installed SweetFX ( looks better ) and now i'll have to read about the sounds
Thank you

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:04:25 AM »
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2017, 09:38:42 AM »
Some maps have clouds and some maps don't..
Depends which map is on at the time.
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline F_Aces

• Zinc Member
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2017, 09:50:30 AM »
I wish you could add some objects, buildings, trees, telegraph poles, etc
 :ahand

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2017, 10:25:55 AM »
I wish you could add some objects, buildings, trees, telegraph poles, etc
 :ahand

You can actually do quite  alot with the terrain editor and the object editor. Just not for the Melee Arena.

Offline F_Aces

• Zinc Member
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 10:27:53 AM »
Melee Arena is for multiplayer, only, right ?