Author Topic: PC evaluation  (Read 2401 times)

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
PC evaluation
« on: July 15, 2018, 07:15:47 PM »
Dell XPS 8930 Desktop PC, 8th Gen Intel® Core™ i7, 8GB Memory/16GB Intel® Optane™ Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows® 10 Home, nVIDIA® GeForce GT 1030 2GB GDDR5

Does the above meet good standards for game play?
2Slow
Secundum mihi , urbanus resurrectio
TANSTAAFL

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Re: PC evaluation
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 09:42:58 PM »
Oddly enough, I do not see a minimum specs. on the home page.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2018, 03:52:52 AM »
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2018, 04:15:12 AM »
I think the main weakness of that setup is the video card. How much of a weakness it is depends on what monitor, TV or VR you intend to view the game on and on whether you want to run it with all the graphics options turned on. Higher resolution monitors need more video card power to push all the extra pixels at a decent frame rate. VR needs really needs a top end video card like a 1070 or above.

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2018, 05:22:40 AM »
The information lacks a few details, like which of the 8th gen i7 processor it has. Their speed varies from 1.8 to 4 GHz, the smaller ones most likely being a tad too slow for a high end video card.

And as has been suspected, the video card is weak no matter what kind of a monitor you use. A GTX 1030 scores about half of the old GTX 660 HiTech used in his development system and about a third of the GTX 960 mentioned in the recommended requirements.

Yet another thing to consider: If you get that computer and a better video card you may have to get a stronger power supply as well. The original one should suffice with cards without an extra power input. GTX 1050 Ti runs AH3 well and most of them come without the power connector.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 06:48:19 AM »
The NVidia 1030 is considered to be one of the worst video cards for any game.  I would not do it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2018, 09:18:28 AM »
The NVidia 1030 is considered to be one of the worst video cards for any game.  I would not do it.

Thanks Skuzzy.  You saved me some money.  Now I can look for something else with a better video card.  Or I could get the machine with the processor and memory that meets requirements and purchase the video card separately.

My current machine has started getting the stutters more frequently.  Time for it to go.
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2018, 10:29:31 AM »
Plan a rig at https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ and send the list here for evaluation.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2018, 04:43:46 PM »
I get computers that cost about $290 + (whatever the cost of the graphics card you want) + (cost of Windows).  When I pick a $140 GTX 1050 card, that gives me 60 fps with environment map slider set to none.

You can select parts from superbiiz.com -- a place that is super cheap on prices -- and they will build the machine for you, ship it to you, and give you a 1 year warranty on it.

I've used them several times and am very happy.

Or you can order parts from them and/or Amazon for very low prices and put it together yourself.

Here's a topic where I went through what parts I selected:

http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,392522.0.html

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2018, 05:44:27 PM »
cpu is a i7 8700.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2018, 06:05:38 PM »
Yep, I know that's what he posted above, but if depending on what you are doing, you don't need that and can be much better off using money on GPU, not CPU.

For example, if the most compute-intensive thing you do is AH and aren't using VR or 4k monitors, you probably don't need that.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 04:55:06 PM »
Upgraded my current system from 4 GB ram to 8 GB ram.  Now getting better frame rates in the 40's to 60's.
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline BOBO

• Copper Member
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 10:40:54 AM »
I've been ordering my PCs from Cyberpowerpc.com since 2001 as well as a few for friends and family.  It's a little more than building your own but you get to pick every component through their configurator, they warranty it and they test it out for a few days before shipping it.

So far I've had zero problems and zero complaints.

Offline 2Slow

• Nickel Member
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2018, 03:35:36 PM »
Upgraded my current system from 4 GB ram to 8 GB ram.  Now getting better frame rates in the 40's to 60's.

If I take the ram up to 16 GB will I get a better performance?
2Slow
TANSTAAFL

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2018, 03:37:01 PM »
Probably not.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com