Author Topic: WW2OL Revisited  (Read 5809 times)

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #345 on: September 26, 2002, 05:33:58 PM »
Hint about those magazines, they get a lil' funding for writing those reviews.
-SW

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #346 on: September 26, 2002, 05:36:27 PM »
and crs would have a slush fund where? Strat first didnt want to pub the mac version. They offer no support.

Keep that thought, may it bring comfort to you as ww2ol improves. The reviews will always be lies cause crs has so much money and power and influence that no one can stand in their way

hardcase

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #347 on: September 26, 2002, 05:36:48 PM »
AKSWulfe,

Finnish Pelit Magazine did recently review the game, with fair points.
I'm pretty sure they didn't have a dime to affect the outcome.

However I'm doubtful of these UK/US game magazines, which runs circle around the hype money due to big competition.
(not much competition in Finland between game mags :D)

Offline eO2

• Zinc Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #348 on: September 26, 2002, 05:39:35 PM »
Who was the founder of CRS, was he an ex WB guy also? I heard the whole crew at CRS were from the old WB crew.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #349 on: September 26, 2002, 05:41:16 PM »
Nope, I would never believe any "reviewer"... I'd believe a group of reviewers, namely the guys I know are competent with computers, games, and know what makes a good game and what makes a crappy one. But the ones in magazines, pfffttt, I don't trust a word they say.

Il2 got something like a 94% on some French mag... I would of given it a 70%. Graphics, FM, and DM don't make a complete air combat "simulation". Campaign, depth, user interface, and involvement make a game.

I don't want to go into WW2Ol, because I'll just get sucked into arguing about it.
-SW

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #350 on: September 26, 2002, 05:43:23 PM »
I trust my opinion pretty much on my own feelings about the game..
They give excellent points for some quakes etc., while I feel those games over rated and meanwhile same reviewer can give low points for game I really like.

Ps. wheres all the dynamic campaigns from the games with single play option :(

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #351 on: September 26, 2002, 05:46:34 PM »
And I never questioned your opinion Fishu.

You, OTOH, questioned my opinion and my motives for my opinion essentially calling me a hypcrtical liar with an agenda.
-SW

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #352 on: September 26, 2002, 05:47:21 PM »
just for giggles..i could start my review like this

lets see..drivers correctly installed.
Updates up to date from Microsoft
Cable traceroute Clean.
Installed to default directories.
Settings set for my machine for max FPS
2100xp
1 gig 333 mhz memory
Geforce 4 4600ti 15% OC
40 atat100 7200rpm HD
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

seems like a standard rig for a test. Damn ww2ol runs great! Got Bugs. CRS seems dedicated to fixing everything. Is it there, not yet. Is it on its way, most definetly. For an evening of fun for 33 cents a night, it is well worth the bargain.

Since this writing crs has raised the cost to about 40 cents a day. There goes the dream house.

now fault it]

hardcase
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 05:54:54 PM by hardcase »

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #353 on: September 26, 2002, 05:52:51 PM »
Originally posted by AKSWulfe
And I never questioned your opinion Fishu.

You, OTOH, questioned my opinion and my motives for my opinion essentially calling me a hypcrtical liar with an agenda.
-SW

You told your opinion of me, I simply replied with my opinion of you with an assumption of your agendas.
Saying you have no agenda, but claiming I do and after having replied many times, I made the conclusion you must be having an agenda.
Due to your way of representing the 'agenda' in bad light and denying you would be having an agenda, I proceeded to call it hypocritisicm.

Offline AKSWulfe

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #354 on: September 26, 2002, 05:56:29 PM »
I never said anything about you, you were the first one to pull it out.

Just like you were the first one to say I have an agenda. Don't recall saying you had one either.

You ARE the master at interpreting words for your own benefit, though, I can see right through it.

This thread is just getting down right retarded, you guys go play WW2Ol. Leave us to our opinions.

I'm going to play AH and Il2, bye-bye dingleberries.
-SW

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #355 on: September 26, 2002, 06:03:28 PM »
I'm not twisting anything... but I give up on arguing with you, because you seem to think I have some sort of hidden agenda.

Aside from the fact that I think WWIIOl sucks donkey ass, and I would never recommend it to anyone... I have no agenda.

Like I said tho, you started off comparing AH to WWIIOl... the rest of us have been giving our critiques of that toejam in a box.

Then my post comes after that..

I'm pretty certain your post was wee bit different by the time I replied.
You said you don't have no agenda and then proceeding to accuse me or hardcase of having an agenda (which I assumed which was me since there was quotation of my words few lines below)

So I will dare to claim you have edited the post soon after I replied - either recently or right after you posted it, but unfortunately I were able to see the original post before your immediate restructuring of the post when you noticed a bad wording.

No, it doesn't either at all times leave "has edited this post timetimetime" tag after editing.
I've edited few of my posts to edit grammar or to add more responses and noticed already yesterday it hadn't left 'edited' tag in all the posts.

...this post has been edited.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #356 on: September 26, 2002, 06:18:28 PM »
...your post neither did include denying of agenda twice, only once as the first words in a sentence, not as last words in a sentence and in the same sentence only accusing of either of us having an agenda.

These insists of not having agenda comes before my post which accuses you of having an agenda.
By searching, nobody else claimed you of having an agenda in the earlier posts before yours.
Only afterwards.

I don't make this kind of claims if it hasn't happened.
I know what there was posted and why I replied about the agendas in hostile manner.
Especially I remember the times when I have to reply in hostile/accusing manner.

No twisting of words.
You others can make your own conclusions.
I'm pretty sure it is disbelief towards me, but I've said this in all honesty and thats what matters to me.
I can't prove much more than that due to editing tags missing.

After looking into the 'edited tags', it seems the forum software does add edited tag only after a time since the posting.
Edited within few minutes of the posting does not add the edited tag, so far by the tests.

So I belive AKSWulfe edited the original post, which I replied to, shortly after posting it - probably with meaning to take away the accusations when having a thought the post wasn't good.

It is up to AKSWulfe whether he wants to admit it or use the benefit of it to defame me.
I believe it was unintended mishappening.

lets see.. this post has been edited three times, on two times no edit tag.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 06:33:38 PM by Fishu »

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #357 on: September 26, 2002, 07:22:10 PM »
lets see..drivers correctly installed.
Updates up to date from Microsoft
Cable traceroute Clean.
Installed to default directories.
Settings set for my machine for max FPS

So far, so good.

2100xp
1 gig 333 mhz memory
Geforce 4 4600ti 15% OC
40 atat100 7200rpm HD
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz.

Oops! System specs on the box, the same box you buy when you buy the game even now, lists:

Pentium II 400, 128MB RAM, 16MB 3D Video Card, DirectSound Compatible Audio Card, 8X CD-ROM, 56K modem minimum,

Pentium III 600, 256MB RAM, 32MB 3D Video Card, DirectSound Compatible Audio Card, 40X CD-ROM, 56K modem recommended.

Seems like after a year and a re-release CRS would demand the box be changed to accurately reflect the true and well-known specs, right? It also seems that when you brag about how well others got the game to run on low-end systems, you know for a fact that is unrealistic, then you apply the double-standard of ridiculing anyone who doesn't have a high-end machine because "they should know better". Hardly. Truth in advertising doesn't hurt a product.

seems like a standard rig for a test.

Well, which is it? Either low end machines can run this game fine and you can help them do it, or it is unreasonable for a person with a low end machine to complain about the game. You can't play it both ways.

Damn ww2ol runs great!

Define "great". What you consider "great" and what I consider "great" seem to have a wide gulf between them. And, since I am reviewing the review, I reserve the right to call your viewpoint bogus. Thus I pull the HC ace of saying, "Is not great".

Got Bugs.

No, a rotting 10-day-old opossum dead on the road has bugs. It would take the light from CRS's fiasco 100 years to reach that status level. A more accurate review would say, "Never in the history of gaming, not even Derek Smart and 'Battlecruiser' A.D., has such a corrupt, unsuitable, and totally inadequately prepared piece of software been illicitly offered up as 'ready for consumption'."

CRS seems dedicated to fixing everything.

Define "seems". Compared to what? How long between patches? How long between discovering a bug and actually doing something about it? How much denial of a problem precedes actually acknowledging the problem exists, and then, the cycle to implement change?

Is it there, not yet.

Not only is it not "there", it can't even see "there" on the horizon.

Is it on its way, most definetly.

Most definitely. The company is in Chapter 11, over half the employees are laid off, and it can be had in the garbage bins now, bundled with two other titles for $9.95 as I write this. Well, two out of three ain't bad. ;)

For an evening of fun for 33 cents a night, it is well worth the bargain.

Now wait a second, earlier in the day you, in proper elitist fashion, claimed you were after the "interest" of WWIIOL and not the "fun" of AH, hinting you were somehow too sophisticated to look for fun. So... is WWIIOL "fun"? Judging by how you have time to post on this BBS while playing the game, I somehow doubt the veracity of that comment. When I play a game I find "fun" I don't look for an escape from the mind-numbing boredom of waiting for someone to haul my artillery to the front, nor do I consider opening a second account so I can do it myself.  

Since this writing crs has raised the cost to about 40 cents a day. There goes the dream house.

More accurately, CRS gave two day's notice of a 33% price increase. No spinning that one. How many people split on that one? Incredibly, CRS is hell-bent on discovering new ways to piss off customers. Just when you think they can't do anything else wrong, they re-invent themselves and go one lower.

now fault it]

Ok, I'll take a stab at it... you don't even have the confidence in yourself or the game to write anything more than the most generic piece of fluff that said virtually nothing. You did surprise me and didn't at the same time; you did and didn't write a review. Taking a critical view of your critical view tells me you are purposely obfuscating, much the same as you do in any conversation you've had here. Before you ask "Where have I obfuscated?" just pick a spot anywhere in this thread where a post is headed "Hardcase".
« Last Edit: September 26, 2002, 07:24:52 PM by Kieran »

Offline hardcase

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #358 on: September 26, 2002, 08:40:35 PM »
CRS cant demand anything. Systems specs did change with the latest release from Strat First. I don't know what they are.

System specs are always a minimum to play. How long do you want to beat that dead horse?

So, keep living in june 2001 and post that same old rant.

This lastest one with the graphic rewrite has been what..2 months since the last one? So...what it they take 3 months. It takes as long as it takes

And it's doors are still open, they seem to have enought employees.

I wasnt upset about the 2 day notice.

So, you seem to have reviewed CRS.

You set yourself up as the reviewer. Me, I will read what other say. What wording about..for giggles..didnt you understand. It was more a poke at those who didnt even bother and still dont have their gaming computers up to date.

Waiting on my leaping to your suggestion to do what you did? No thanks. I know better.

hardcase

hardcase

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
WW2OL Revisited
« Reply #359 on: September 26, 2002, 08:56:16 PM »
But... I have to continue to live in June 2001 because the box on the shelf as of September 26, 2002 still touts the same specs. Get the point? ;)

I'm glad the two day notice didn't bug you- it didn't bug me either. It was still a stupid thing to do nonethless. And it did obviously bug a large number of people.

Yup, the doors are still open- for now. You have the mistaken idea the Mac side will save it. Riddle me this; if their PC coders can't even get it right (and they haven't), what makes you think the Mac port will be any less of a turd with even fewer people working on it? Only thing that's going to happen now is the world is going to have a few more pissed off graphic artists/gamers.  ;)

I didn't set myself up as the reviewer, I played the role of Hardcase while you played the role of, say... vulcan, the guy who started this thread. "Turnabout is fair play" and all that jazz. So, you didn't think my review of your review was legit? Why is it ok when you do it?

Hey, I know why you didn't really try- you knew you would have to tell so many obvious lies to be upbeat (if you said anything specific) that I would have had a field day ripping it to shreds. So instead you really said nothing at all. Some review. ;)

I can't even decipher what you said there at the end. There were some english words in it, but no real content.