Author Topic: Landing? It's Simple!!! Look Here  (Read 1270 times)

Offline 214thCavalier

• Silver Member
Landing? It's Simple!!! Look Here
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2003, 07:16:43 PM »
Corsair is easy just drop full flaps, flare and controlled stall into a 3 point landing.

Offline xtinct

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2003, 06:44:08 AM »
Hello,

two more "landing" questions:
1. When trying to land gliding   (engine damaged or no fuel) especially the spits tend to bounce off the runway which often resulty in either crashing or overshooting the runway. Even with the same low speed as for landing with running engine I always have problems landing when gliding only. Any tips?

2. How the heck do I land a 163???

cheers
xstinct

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2003, 08:40:17 AM »
Landing the Me163 actually isn't all that difficult. The trick is allowing enough time and distance to bleed off alt and speed. I usually chop thottle back within 10 mi of my intended landing strip (field) and begin a a gradual corksrew descent. The higher you are, the more turns it will take to descend.

At which time I'm 5,000 ft AGL, my airspeed wants to be about 200 ias, and I begin to set-up a landing approach to the runway, about 2 miles out. Under 200 ias the flaps will deploy, which are used to further bleed off speed. So...I'm 2 miles from the runway, approaching at no more than 200 ias, with as much flaps as possible. My alt is no more than 1,500 agl. I've also reserved a little fuel...25% is plenty...just in case I need it for a go-around. So far I've had throttle chopped back to 0

At which time I'm 1/2 mi out from the runway, I drop the landing skid plate...163 doesn't have wheels...and raise flaps to the 1st notch position. My nose wants to be flared up about 5 degrees. At this point a small throttle increase may be needed. As I cross the runway threshhold, I cut the engine and let the plane settle in gently, being ready to add some rudder to keep the nose pointed straight down the runway. She'll roll to a stop with about half the runway to spare.

Try a few approaches offline and you'll have no porblems getting a 163 down safely. Key points are speed control, and a small fuel reserve.

DmdMax
The Damned MkXX