Author Topic: Radar Detectors  (Read 3675 times)

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #60 on: November 05, 2003, 05:32:47 PM »
Beetle, I was in the Thames Valley police station (the one in Reading) a while ago studying the British police.  I was amazed by the network of cameras that were in the city, and the amazing coverage and detail they were capable of.  These cameras were controlled, with full zoom and 360 rotation, from a command room in the police station.  Do these highway speed cameras tie into that network, or are they purely for taking pictures of licence plates?   Could they be used for real-time feeds of information if needed?

Offline drone

• Copper Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #61 on: November 05, 2003, 05:43:40 PM »
Try the Phaser --they are quickly becoming illegal --they dont detect --they interfer with both radar and lazer, by spoofing the computers in the detection devices--think you can still order them on-line

Offline GtoRA2

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #62 on: November 05, 2003, 05:58:14 PM »
I say a funny one a few years back.

In east Palo alto, you take university to fo from 101 to the dumbarton bridge. It is all down town with lots of lights and it gets bumper to bumper and SLOW..

We would always take back streets,(through REALLY bad areas)

Well I guess this pissed the residents off, and they put up signs on all the side streets saying no right turn.

people still did it so (not me) so I am on university at the last place to come out from that area, and there are 6 Oficers and like 12 cars lined up, they had it set up like a production line!

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #63 on: November 05, 2003, 06:16:31 PM »
Stopping multiple cars is spooky, I once had an 18 wheeler with out of adjustment brakes plow into the last of four cars I was stopping.  

99% of TX DPS run on the edges of the Ka band, most of you detectors are channeled in the center of the freq, I get a lot of folks that either thier detector never went off or it didn't go off until I was right on them.  

To be certified in Texas to run Radar you must be able to estimate speed very well.  You have to be within 5 mph either way.  I know when someone is running before I ever turn on the Radar.

Capt. A there are two reasons we don't lock in the Radar.  One is so that we can check multiple cars, ie a line of traffic.  If you lock it in you loose the display.  The second is safety.  As Mav said traffic stops are very dangerous.  In order for you to see the Radar display on my dash you have to be inbetween me and my patrol car at some point.  That means that you are between me and my life-line (radio)/extra weapons and ammo/escape vehicle.  I know from experience that not everyone you stop out there is just pissed about the ticket, they are looking to distract you from something else that is going on.

We traffic cops are not all bad guys, but we do have a job to do.  Work a few accidents that people die in that speed was a major contributing factor and you will develop a callose too.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #64 on: November 05, 2003, 07:01:41 PM »
Originally posted by Tarmac
Beetle, I was in the Thames Valley police station (the one in Reading) a while ago studying the British police.  I was amazed by the network of cameras that were in the city, and the amazing coverage and detail they were capable of.  These cameras were controlled, with full zoom and 360 rotation, from a command room in the police station.  Do these highway speed cameras tie into that network, or are they purely for taking pictures of licence plates?   Could they be used for real-time feeds of information if needed?
Damn, Tarmac! That's about 6 miles from my house! Call me next time. :)

The main highways (both motorways and major A-roads) have those cameras. The police use them to monitor traffic so that they can deploy officers and other emergency services to the scene of an accident. These same cameras help police in a control room to relay traffic information to roadside transmitters. This traffic info can be picked up by passing traffic equipped with TrafficMaster™. I have a TrafficMaster Freeway unit mounted on the dash in my car, and I turn it on when I'm about to travel on a motorway or other major highway. A female robotic voice says "TrafficMaster" to confirm that the system is active. Then, when driving along, each time I pass one of the roadside transmitters, the system beeps. That beep signals that the data has been updated and that the road ahead is clear. If I then press a button, the same voice will report my position, eg. "You are travelling westbound on M4 towards junction 6. Traffic flowing freely." If there is a snarl up ahead of me (the system is smart enough not to report problems behind me) the voice pipes up automatically to report the problem. Just the other day I was headed east on the M40 towards the M25 (encircles London) and was about to take M25 clockwise to J19 to get to Watford. The automatic warning was something like "You are travelling eastbound on M40 towards juntion 3. M25 anticlockwise, very slow traffic between junction 16 and junction 13. Expect 5 minute delay. M25 clockwise, traffic flowing freely. M40 eastbound, traffic flowing freely". There are varying degrees of severity - I've heard 30 minutes delay, and even "...stationary traffic for 6 miles. Avoid". These messages help the user to modify  the planned route to avoid the problem area.

But you have to avoid overreacting to TrafficMaster. Sometimes an alternate route can be worse than toughing it out for 5 minutes on the motorway.

You can find out how it all works at the TrafficMaster™ website. If you go to "Products", you can see the Freeway unit like the one I have. I just use batteries for mine, but it can be wired into the car's electrical system.

The M25 motorway is known as Europe's largest car park - lol. Very heavy traffic, especially near London Heathrow Airport. A system of variable speed limits exists. Typically, the limit will be 60. Heavy traffic will cause this to reduce to 50 or even less. It's four lanes in each direction in that area, and every lane is monitored by camera. You get busted if you break the variable speed limit.

Offline Tarmac

• Gold Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #65 on: November 05, 2003, 08:06:21 PM »
Heh, it was about a year and a half ago; I don't think I read the AH BB back then.  Didn't know ya. :)

The assistant chief constable of the TVP got his Master's degree from my university; the professor who chaired his thesis took a group of students over there for a month and a half long program to study your system.  This professor is extremely well-connected in the international intelligence community so he got us into some places that would normally be off limits to the public.  A very educational trip.  

And that's pretty cool as far as traffic flow control goes, except for the enforcement aspect.  That's a bit too big brother for me (and probably most Americans).  But that's what we said when we were in the camera control room, and it's exactly what the assistant chief constable there expected us to say.  :D

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #66 on: November 05, 2003, 09:18:01 PM »
Originally posted by drone
Try the Phaser --they are quickly becoming illegal --they dont detect --they interfer with both radar and lazer, by spoofing the computers in the detection devices--think you can still order them on-line

Yes and I've got a bridge you might be interested in.

Phasers are a plastic case with a blinking LED and a speaker to make a sound when you turn it on.  The only thing they get is laughs from the cops when they see you with it.

Total and utter scam.

Offline Gixer

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #67 on: November 05, 2003, 10:22:08 PM »
LOL Agreed, stuff from Rocky Mountain would have to be one of the biggest scams out in the industry.

Just drive something fast like a sports bike, even if he captures you on his radar, by the time he drops his doughnut and put's down his coffee you'll be long gone.  Eh Concho

...-Gixer
~Hells Angels~

Offline Montezuma

• Silver Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #68 on: November 05, 2003, 10:54:38 PM »
Originally posted by Sandman_SBM
The CHP can and do use radar. In the past, they had a policy of not purchasing any, but if the local government wished to provide them with the equipment, they would use it. Nowadays, I think they actually purchase them.

Willie Brown (who ran the Ca. State Legislature for a very long time) loved to speed in his Porsche, so he would not allow the CHP to purchase radar.  

Term limits finally forced Willie out, so now the CHP has radar but they don't use it very often.  They mainly use it on certain highways that have lots of accidents.  

Use of radar by the local police in Ca. is regulated, they can't give out radar tickets unless the speed limit posted is in the 85th percentile or above the average speed on the road.

Offline -Concho-

• Parolee
  • Nickel Member
Radar Detectors
« Reply #69 on: November 05, 2003, 11:51:08 PM »
Originally posted by Gixer
LOL Agreed, stuff from Rocky Mountain would have to be one of the biggest scams out in the industry.

Just drive something fast like a sports bike, even if he captures you on his radar, by the time he drops his doughnut and put's down his coffee you'll be long gone.  Eh Concho

...-Gixer
~Hells Angels~

got a nice spike strip fer yer sport bike  :D

Offline Midnight

• Silver Member
      • http://www.brauncomustangs.org
Radar Detectors
« Reply #70 on: November 06, 2003, 07:03:25 AM »
Originally posted by miko2d
capt. apathy: that can be beat.  these local ordanances go against federal law. (the fcc stuff ...  since all a detector is doing is listening for a signal they can't be banned)

Has nothing to do with FCC. Localities can outlaw anything they want to.
 It is illegal to own a bullet-proof vest in NYC. It does not emit anything, cannot hurt anyone, being light and soft. Cannot even be used to scare anyone. Cannot even be confused with anything dangerous. Nevertheless it's illegal.

miko

Local laws can be more strict than federal laws, however they cannot override the federal law.

Without looking up specific examples, the FCC laws states that any citizen has the lawful right to recieve any transmitted signal.

On the other hand, there is no federal law that says a citizen has the right to own a bullet-proof vest. Therefor, it is OK for a state to make such a law prohibiting it.