Author Topic: Can't get online  (Read 544 times)

Offline Paintbrush

• Zinc Member
Can't get online
« on: November 13, 2003, 10:55:44 PM »
I get a "can't connect to location" or something like that. I tried about 5 times. I'm new to Aces (just signed up tonight)
I'm not a internet novice but I need some help with this.  Any ideas? Is it just a busy night? Thanks.

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Can't get online
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2003, 05:37:44 AM »
Are you using a cable modem or dial up?

Connects were pretty good last night.

Suggestion: put your same request for info up on the
Technical Support BBS and Skuzzy will get right back with you.
You can also email him at skuzzy@hitechcreations.com.
He is the guru for those kinda fixes.

Hope this helps and..........

WELCOME ABOARD!!!

Re  :)

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Can't get online
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2003, 09:44:38 AM »
Firewall?

Welcome to Aces High Paintbrush :)

cheers,
RTR
The Damned

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Can't get online
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2003, 02:23:51 PM »
RTR, that's very possible. Who knows?

Had a fellow show up in the TA yesterday who normally gets 55-60 FR. He was getting 20FR. I asked the normal questions then asked if he had checked for virus' or worms latey. He checked and sure enough his computer was infected with multiple invaders. He thought his normal virus software was checking everything and auto updating itself. That's the same response I would have thought. Unfortunately, with all the nasty things floating around I found you must always be checking for sneaky inplants. And watch you FR's, if they tank then you  need to investigate.

Skuzzy normally can help anyone out with diagnosing connect problems so I'd suggest everyone keep his email addy handy.
:)
Ren

Offline Marco50

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
Re: Can't get online
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2003, 02:40:17 PM »
Welcome Paint-Brush...........Problems getting online might be like RTR said (afirewall) or something else, maybe PC problem :(

Its ok tho u will get use to it :D
I have had "almost the same Prob!
:lol
But welcome anyway!!:)

Offline Paintbrush

• Zinc Member
Thanks for the replies and help.
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2003, 10:10:34 PM »
I finally got online and have been having lots of fun.. umm...getting my butt shot off. :)

I could use a little help in the training dept. I used to fly AW RR (never FR) this is a whole different ballgame. At any rate it still seems that some guys are turning on a dime and I black out or end up not being able to pull up fast enough and hit the dirt. Any advice other than to hang up my wings?

I have lots of other questions too but I'm sure I will learn with experience and won't bore you with them here. For now I would just like to know some tips on combat  and the best turning plains and speed planes etc.  How to set up my JS , etc.

I tried the training arena and no one was of much help there. One guy asked me if he could join me while I was flying but I couldn't use my vox then so he wasn't much help. It would help greatly if I could fly with an experienced pilot a few time and just watch and learn. Is that possible and how would I go about doing that?

Sorry so long. Any help would be appreciated but I would also understand if you would rather be up flying and shooting this greenhorn down rather than answering a bunch of newby questions.  In the mean time I will be up going for broke, getting my butt shot off while learning as quickly as possible. I believe in the "total immersion theory" lol

Thanks again and glad to be aboard.

BTW,
If there are any 555s from AW here, I was RM555 and joined up with the 555s just before the end of AW. (Snoopy was da best)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Can't get online
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2003, 11:03:30 PM »
Hey paintbrush. I'm a newbie also. Don't hang up them wings!

Seriously, check out netaces.org and check out the article on trim. Its a little thing that seems to be a big thing. I don't think there was such a thing as trim in AW ( not that I remember). I'm not saying learning how  to manualy handle trim is going to stop us from being sliced and diced for a few months (or years in my case :)), but I have a feeling it should be practiced from the beginning. It just makes so much of a difference in maneuvers. I figure if I'm dieing anyway, I might as well be dieing with more control over the stick :)

I'm flying two types of missions right now. I try to do at least 2 where I get alt and fly arround just trying to stay out of trouble and watch and see if what I think is going on is going on. Kind of medium range SA practice. Then I fly a bunch diving into furballs just to get used to flying the blackouts and the feel of the stick. At this point I consider it a victory if I manage to follow a plane through a maneuver without getting shot dow, spinning or blacking out.

This post is meant to be encouragment more than informative ( I'm new too so not too informed.) Don't feel like the lone ranger -I'm comming from the same backround as you. If you're in main and see me (Etch) up, yell, and we can go over to the TA and see if we can figure out some stuff. I completely suck at this point, but I think I can be a better target than a drone (well maybe).

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Re: Thanks for the replies and help.
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 05:59:49 AM »
Originally posted by Paintbrush
I could use a little help in the training dept.

Email one or al of us... We're here to help.  We all also swing by the TA daily but it's easier when you have some 1 on 1 time...

Offline BigMax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Can't get online
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 06:04:02 AM »
Originally posted by TweetyBird
Seriously, check out netaces.org and check out the article on trim. Its a little thing that seems to be a big thing.

People put lots of stock in trim, I don't.... I've always used the auto trim mode with great success.  But if you feel it's necessary, I definitely agree that you should start with it rather than to try to learn it later...

Offline DamnedRen

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Can't get online
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2003, 07:52:43 AM »
Guys,

Feel free to email me for training sessions in the TA. im normally there just about every day. I have been stuck on mids for a while so unless I'm on days off I show in the TA around 5-6 CT.

On days off you will find me there any evening.

I have NOT been in the TA much in the last couple of days as I have been transitioning a new fellow into the MA.

Suggestion work on keeping yer speed up. Slow = death. Get up in your plane of choice to different alts...say 5k, 10k, 15k and 20k. Fly it in auto level for 10 minutes or until you see its settled down in level cruise speed. Jot down the numbers you come up with. Use those numbers as your normal flying speed but expect your gonna be nose low  (not diving) alot to get your energy up. Really take the time to learn what your view out front looks like along the horizon when in level flight. Most new foolks have a big tendency to fly nose high and slow.

Don't worry about trim right now. Use auto combat trim.

Im at ren@hitechcreations.com

Ren

Offline RTR

• Gold Member
Can't get online
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2003, 08:25:20 AM »
Ditto here..(although i'm not part of the AH training cadre).

Anytime you see me in the MA, CT or TA, feel free to give me a shout. I always have  time for a little training.
cheers,
RTR
The Damned