Author Topic: riddles/ brain-benders  (Read 1155 times)

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2003, 02:42:58 PM »
2) oops thats right, there is only one groove per side on a record album. However there is 19.6 more rates per minute between a 33 1/3 rpm record and a 45 rpm record.

3) Leave A switch on, go upstairs, label A light, guess B,C lights then leave building and have a cigarette.

:D

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2003, 02:45:55 PM »
Wire all the lights together so switch A turns 'em all on and off.  That's one possible way he could know for certain which switch turns on which lights, and label thusly.

Les

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2003, 02:52:45 PM »
the only thing i can think of for the thrid question is this:

switch A: leave off
switch B: leave on
switch C: disconnect it slightly so that the light flickers

OR borrowing from another answer:

switch C: run for 10 minutes prior to checking to get it hot than than turn off and run upstairs

But it does leave me with a question if he cant go back to the switches to lable them that also means he cant go back to turn them off so he's have to run one till somone with keys shows up.

OR because you didnt say what tools he had

switch C: disconnect the wires from power and then short them together.  than all you have to do is take an Ohm meter and look for a short in one of the two that are off.

I got to be missing somthing here cause it sounds like there is a real simple answer to this am I close?

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2003, 02:53:42 PM »
johnny b had it right
check for the warm bulb for your 3rd switch option.

Wire all the lights together so switch A turns 'em all on and off. That's one possible way he could know for certain which switch turns on which lights, and label thusly.

are you an electrician? I think I may have lived in a house you wired. :D

1 more bonus electrical question.

what do you call a guy who pisses on the 3rd rail of a subway line?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 02:56:16 PM by capt. apathy »

Offline Leslie

• Gold Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2003, 03:34:50 PM »
You're a genius JonnyB, never would have thought of that.

Gunslinger, you also were on the right track.  The labels were already on the switches on the 1st floor, so no need to go back downstairs to label them.  The riddle is solved by labeling the lights A,B, and C to go with the switches (which are already labeled.)

There is nothing about how the electrician gets out of the building...that's not part of the riddle.  So the locked doors don't matter, long as there's a fire escape or awning to jump onto.:D

He waits for the key and spends the night there.

Capt. Apathy, I misread the problem, though my answer would have put the guy on the first floor where he could go home after work.:)

Les

Wait a minute, scratch the above.  I see it now.  He goes through the second floor door to the outside stairs.  The door locks behind him and the building is secure.  Man exits the building and goes on his business.

Good riddle.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:49:45 PM by Leslie »

Offline type_char

• Copper Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2003, 03:37:21 PM »
Too easy, a nickel.

;)

As for the other questions, Im too stupid to figure it out...
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 03:39:22 PM by type_char »

Offline jonnyb

• Nickel Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2003, 05:54:19 PM »
Originally posted by capt. apathy
johnny b had it right
check for the warm bulb for your 3rd switch option.

are you an electrician? I think I may have lived in a house you wired. :D

1 more bonus electrical question.

what do you call a guy who pisses on the 3rd rail of a subway line?

Funny, I actually saw a show on Discovery Channel that tackled this question.  I think it was called Myth Busters.  Anyway, they proved that unless you're standing in a puddle of water, and can urinate at a flowrate more than an average garden hose, you'll never receive any kind of life-threatening shock.  The reason is because by the time your urine stream reaches the rail it has become a series of separate drops as opposed to a unified stream.  Therefore, the circuit is never complete.

So, to answer the question, I'd have to say you call him relieved :).

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2003, 06:42:45 PM »
Funny, I actually saw a show on Discovery Channel that tackled this question. I think it was called Myth Busters. Anyway, they proved that unless you're standing in a puddle of water, and can urinate at a flowrate more than an average garden hose, you'll never receive any kind of life-threatening shock. The reason is because by the time your urine stream reaches the rail it has become a series of separate drops as opposed to a unified stream. Therefore, the circuit is never complete.

So, to answer the question, I'd have to say you call him relieved

I'd find thier conclusion suspect after seeing my little brother accidentally hit the wire on the electric cattle fence while pissing outside.

so the answer to the riddle is-  he's the conductor

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2003, 06:56:25 PM »
Here's one I always liked, and no, I've never been in prison.

Three guys in jail. Two of them have normal vision the third is blind. The warden likes puzzles and offers the three inmates a chance at early release if they can solve one. Here it is.

The warden tells the three that he has 5 hats and that three are white and two are red. He takes three of the five hats and puts one hat on each prisoner's head. They are not allowed to see the remaining two hats nor can they see the hat on their own head. He now tells the three, all in the same cell, that whoever first tells him what color hat is on their own head will be released early.

The three think on this a bit and one of the guys looks at the other two guys and finally says "I don't know". The remaining two guys ponder this and finally the second says "I don't know either". The warden starts to leave thinking there is no way the third guy, who is blind, can know when the blind man says "I know".

Your puzzle is to figure out how the blind man knew what color hat was on his own head.
Here we put salt on Margaritas, not sidewalks.

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2003, 08:06:06 PM »
I think I know:

The Blind guys knows he has a white hat on, because both the other guys can see, and they each  see one red hat ( on the other guy) and one white hat( on the blind guy), so each can't be sure of the other red hat ( on their own head)

This tells the blind guy that each sighted guy must be wearing a red hat, accounting for the 2 red hats.

No other combination would work.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 08:11:01 PM by NUKE »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2003, 08:22:43 PM »
Nuke, the first guy sees either two white hats or a red and white hat, or a white and red hat. What does the second guy see?

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2003, 08:29:05 PM »
even if they all had white hats on, the sighted guys still could not say for sure what color hat they had on, and niether could the blind guy deduce anything.

The options that each sighted guys could see would be:

Red/White  ( couldn't tell what color they had on)
White/ White ( could tell what color they had on)
Red/Red ( obviously not this option)

I dunno, I gotta think some more, I just looked at it for about 2 minuts and figured the blind guy has to have a white hat....... but now I must think lol

Offline NUKE

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
      • Arizona Greens
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2003, 08:48:46 PM »
The blind guy is wearing a white hat:

If he was wearing a red hat, one of the other guys would be able to deduce the color of their own hat by the remaining color options.

Either way, if the blind guy had a red hat, ONE of the others would know the color of his own hat, and win.

If the blind guy had a red hat, if one of the other guys is wearing a red had too, then the other would see 2 red hats and know he had a white hat, or they are both wearing white hats and the first guy that said he didn't know his color would tell the remaining guy he must not have a red hat, and know he had a white hat.

The only way one of the sighted guys could not deduce the color of his hat would be if the blind guy had a white hat on.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2003, 09:13:08 PM by NUKE »

Offline AKIron

• Plutonium Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2003, 10:53:14 PM »
Well done. I think you got it Nuke, if you mean this:

Obviously if either of the first two saw red/red he would know his own was white so therefore neither of them saw red/red.

The first guy sees either (none of which reveal his own color):

white/white
red/white
white/red

The second guy knows what the first guy saw (since he failed) and he sees (and still can't deduce his own as his own could still be either red or white):

white/white
red(1st guy)/white(blind guy)

He doesn't see:

white(1st guy)/red(blind guy)

Because if he did he would know his own had to be white.

Therefore, the third guy, who was privy to all the discussion and admission of failure, knew that his could not be red leaving only white.

Offline Holden McGroin

• Plutonium Member
riddles/ brain-benders
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2003, 12:02:07 AM »
But does the blind guy completely understand the concept of color?  What is his perception of red / white?
Holden McGroin LLC makes every effort to provide accurate and complete information. Since humor, irony, and keen insight may be foreign to some readers, no warranty, expressed or implied is offered. Re-writing this disclaimer cost me big bucks at the lawyer’s office!