Author Topic: Points for Assist?  (Read 525 times)

Offline randedge

• Zinc Member
Points for Assist?
« on: November 21, 2003, 03:26:13 AM »
How come there aren't any points for assists?

I'm guessing that the Creators of AH didn't want anyone who hasn't shot down anything to not earn a point.  I mean, put a round in one guy and you get points just isn't fair right?
But what about in a team environment where engagements are broken off and initiated quickly?  

There are a few times that I've finished off a guy without any visible damage (no smoke or anything), and it just says "Assist on so and so...".

Similarly, there are a lot of occasions where I'm flying a slower plane and this guy just steps on it and zooms away.  Minutes later, someone else engages him, and I see a "You shot down so and so..." while there I was, already about to land.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 03:34:10 AM by randedge »

Offline hogenbor

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.lookupinwonder.nl
Points for Assist?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2003, 04:46:16 AM »
*shrugs*

What really annoys me is that I often see a Spit without visible damage or anything dogfight on the deck for minutes and when I finally judge a reversal right and blow him up with a 30mm round. I get an assist, not the kill.

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
Points for Assist?
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2003, 05:13:12 AM »
you can spread a lot of damage over an airframe.
and sometimes the deathblow is only a drop in the vase.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
Re: Points for Assist?
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2003, 07:14:25 AM »
Originally posted by randedge

Point :confused:  We get points for this :confused:

:rofl

BTW, you do get "points" for an assist. Check the score page. There is a category under both fighter and attacker for "points" :)
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
Points for Assist?
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2003, 09:14:21 AM »
Well, i imagine if you got perks, even more people would be shooting at flaming debris.

Offline mold

• Copper Member
Points for Assist?
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2003, 10:20:15 AM »
Originally posted by Rutilant
Well, i imagine if you got perks, even more people would be shooting at flaming debris.

Yes indeed.  Pathetic.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
Points for Assist?
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2003, 12:34:31 PM »
Originally posted by Rutilant

How else do you think I find my targets?;)

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Points for Assist?
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2003, 12:46:09 PM »
Everyone KNOWS they hide the perkies in those little airleon thingies that go fluttering down:rolleyes:

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Points for Assist?
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2003, 02:04:38 PM »
Originally posted by randedge

I'm guessing that the Creators of AH didn't want anyone who hasn't shot down anything to not earn a point.  I mean, put a round in one guy and you get points just isn't fair right?
But what about in a team environment where engagements are broken off and initiated quickly?  

There are a few times that I've finished off a guy without any visible damage (no smoke or anything), and it just says "Assist on so and so...".

Similarly, there are a lot of occasions where I'm flying a slower plane and this guy just steps on it and zooms away.  Minutes later, someone else engages him, and I see a "You shot down so and so..." while there I was, already about to land.

One more reason to take the time to improve your gunnery so you don't have to worry about getting assists instead of kill credit.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline mrblack

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Points for Assist?
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2003, 05:33:57 PM »
10 assist= 1 perk point not a bad idea.
And while we are at It get rid of kill shooter.
Just make the bullets pass thru friendly planes.
Hell planes fly thru each other why not bullets???

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Points for Assist?
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 05:58:36 PM »
Originally posted by NoBaddy
Point :confused:  We get points for this :confused:

:rofl

BTW, you do get "points" for an assist. Check the score page. There is a category under both fighter and attacker for "points" :)

Ahem .... that's not "points" .... that's "stats." Proxies are part of the "kill stats" as well and they yield no points. Assists probably deserve points.

Unlike Ack-Ack's rationale ... I lean towards what they really did in the war .... share kills. I say anyone who does 1/3 damage or more on a plane that gets finished off by someone else deserves some credit. And I say that anyone who finishes off a plane that has 1/3 or more damage already on it from another player deserves credit as well. But give them both assists and divide the points accordingly. If the server can keep track of the damage percentage ... it can divide the credit.

Not that it's THAT vital ..... just an observation. ;)

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
Points for Assist?
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2003, 06:15:22 PM »
Arlo.. even MORE killstealin!

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Points for Assist?
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2003, 10:34:31 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo
Ahem .... that's not "points" .... that's "stats." Proxies are part of the "kill stats" as well and they yield no points. Assists probably deserve points.

Unlike Ack-Ack's rationale ... I lean towards what they really did in the war .... share kills. I say anyone who does 1/3 damage or more on a plane that gets finished off by someone else deserves some credit. And I say that anyone who finishes off a plane that has 1/3 or more damage already on it from another player deserves credit as well. But give them both assists and divide the points accordingly. If the server can keep track of the damage percentage ... it can divide the credit.

Not that it's THAT vital ..... just an observation. ;)

Arlo, it is my understanding that the LW did not keep track of or credit assists only confirmed kills.

Also the server doesn't keep track of percentage damage it keeps track of total pts of damage. The problem with this is that someone pulling a spray and pray with .50s might but 30 holes in all parts of an airframe. This would be worth roughly 36pts. Then someone will come along with a single 30mm rounds that shears a wing off, scored as about 15pts, and kills the aircraft. Mr. Spray and Pray is credited for the kill even though they did effectively no damage. Assists are used to balance this out.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: Re: Re: Points for Assist?
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2003, 01:05:01 AM »
Originally posted by Arlo

Unlike Ack-Ack's rationale ... I lean towards what they really did in the war .... share kills.

The only problem with that line of thought is that this is a score and rank driven game.  Because of this you're going to get a crap load of guys gunning for the same target trying to get the kill credit, sharing be damned.  At least for me, this is the reason why I keep trying to improve my gunnery so I know that I'll get the kill when I hit the target and not the yahoo spraying and praying behind me trying to steal my kill.  Let that dork get the assist.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song