Author Topic: Hunting: For or Against and why?  (Read 3367 times)

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
Hunting: For or Against and why?
« on: November 19, 2003, 10:26:08 AM »
First this thread is intended primarily to address hunting within the United States as I know nothing of hunting in other countries.

That being said I am strongly in favor of hunting in the US. In my case I was born and raised for alot of my life so far back in the hills of Kentucky that it makes the Beverly Hillbillies look like urbane sophisticates. I had my first .22 when I was six and my grandfather was teaching me to hunt squirrel and rabbit by the time I was seven. For us it was a matter of putting food on the table.

In the US we have by and large eliminated all the large predators in the ecosystem and when I say "we" in this case I'm referring to the original settlers and later the farmers who perceived and in some cases correctly that large predators were a threat to the livestock or their families.

In the twentieth and indeed into the twenty-first century it has fallen upon humans to provide wildlife management since we have caused the ecosystem to swing so far out of balance. The culling of game animals is a /major/ component of this management scheme.

Personally, I enjoy knowing that I can put meat on the table for my family whatever the situation. I enjoy knowing that some of what I eat I have killed myself. I don't trophy, never have never will. I don't understand that mindset but I don't condemn those hunters either. These people who will happily go to McDonalds and order a BigMac or walk into the local chain supermarket abd purchase five pounds of hamburger meat then condemn a hunter for actually going to great effort to kill what he eats are the one's that anger me. Where's the rationale in that?

I strongly feel that hunting is a good skill to have that it's a good skill to learn as a child. It teaches paitence, it teaches a respect for nature and the balance therein, it teaches a respect for firearms. So many children die because the only exposure they've had to firearms is on television.

Offline Modas

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cutthroats.com
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2003, 10:55:42 AM »
Absolutely nothing wrong with hunting providing if you kill it, you eat it.

Been hunting since I was 12.  Although in my older years, I'm finding its easier to go out into the woods and sleep, then go to the supermarket and pick up a t-bone and a 6pack.

:D

Offline Dago

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2003, 10:57:34 AM »
I used to hunt, haven't in a number of years.  I have nothing against it if the game that is shot is taken for food.  I haven't shot any animals that couldnt be cooked up and eaten.

I wouldn't mind going Prarie Dog shooting though.  :)

dago
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2003, 10:58:42 AM »
Never done it, don't have a problem with it.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2003, 11:01:13 AM »
For if you are actually going to eat it.

Against if you are just doing it to feel like a man.

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2003, 11:04:48 AM »
Hmmmmm......good clean untainted meat, yum.:aok

Offline muckmaw

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2003, 11:08:45 AM »
For it if we can figure out how to arm the deer...;)

Offline Sundiver

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2003, 11:15:03 AM »
Originally posted by muckmaw
For it if we can figure out how to arm the deer...;)

*chuckles* Agreed, never understood the peeps that liked to hunt deer with high-powered rifles either. Been a bow hunter most of my adult life cept for birds.

Offline Wanker

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2003, 11:24:45 AM »
Hunting is neccessary to help keep the deer population down to reasonable levels. It's either that, or let the deer starve.

The only problem I have with hunting is that hunters, unlike animal predators, always try to shoot the strongest, most prime physical specimen they can find, whereas natural predators prey on the weak, sickly deer that can't run as fast.

I don't like killing animals, so I don't hunt.

Offline capt. apathy

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.moviewavs.com/cgi-bin/moviewavs.cgi?Bandits=danger.wav
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2003, 12:25:36 PM »
it's a good thing.  get to know your food before you eat it.

whether through hunting or a visit to a farm,  every one should take at least one meal from walking around all the way to the dinner plate.  people would appreciate what they have a bit more if they really understood where their food came from.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2003, 12:30:25 PM by capt. apathy »

Offline john9001

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2003, 12:30:09 PM »
i've only hunted what i could eat and we ate what i killed.

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2003, 12:37:47 PM »
I belive that hunting for food is not only acceptable, but commendable. I do, however, know people that just like to shoot animals. In season, out of season, edible, non-edible. That kind of killing mentality is wrong in my opinion and I've tried to make them understand that, to no avail. While I can't stop them from doing it, I don't participate in those hunts or allow them to hunt my land...sooner or later the Game Warden will catch them and the price to pay will be hefty. BTW, a good friend just took a 5 point non-typical whitetail on my place last weekend...looking forward to some nice backstrap and sausage very soon.:)
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline SOB

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2003, 12:48:37 PM »
I'm against me killing defenseless animals.  Unless they bother me, then they've earned it.  I couldn't care less what others choose to do with their time.  Well, I take that back...somebody go bag a deer and send me some venison summer sausage!   mmmmmm
Three Times One Minus One.  Dayum!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2003, 12:50:27 PM »
I could easily kill animal, but I couldn't bring myself to eat him.  Way too gamey.

MiniD

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2003, 12:50:44 PM »
Originally posted by SOB
I'm against me killing defenseless animals.  

What if the animal has hired Johnny Cochran?

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.