Author Topic: Ct Set-up For Nov. 21 "Drive On The Reich"  (Read 3850 times)

Offline snocone

• Copper Member
Ct Set-up For Nov. 21 "Drive On The Reich"
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2003, 12:30:59 PM »
hooray!!!

i for one support the air start for bombers. actually, i think it should just be for the allied bombers. there was not much of an axis bombing campain at this point in the war, and the allied bombing campain was the whole reason for their air corp. an air start might get alot more bombers up and sorta lead the arena into a more historical setup.

either way ill have fun, thanks

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2003, 12:35:18 PM »
Pongo, as it was mentioned before, the use of perk points in the Main Arena is to limit overuse and you get a special ride because you earned it.  

In the Combat Theatre, we use perk point assignments with a point reset every time to balance the arena by limiting their use based historical availability during that period.   That's why for example the Spit XIV is freely available and not perked like it is in the MA.  The late model Spit was widely used by that time.

Hope this makes sense to all. If you have any questions, please email any of the staff at ctstaff@hitecreations.com or me at mister_fork@hitechcreations.com. We'll be glad to answer any questions or address points and concerns you have.  Jester, Brady, Sabre, Eddie and the rest strive hard to make everyone at the CT happy.  :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Tuck

• Copper Member
      • http://hometown.aol.com/tuck0006/
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2003, 04:47:58 PM »
in mr. burns' manner......

EXxxxxCEeeeeLLENnnnnT!
:D

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2003, 06:27:50 PM »
Ooo,  Spitfire F.Mk XIVc.  My favorite WWII fighter.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2003, 06:37:00 PM »
"In the Combat Theatre, we use perk point assignments with a point reset every time to balance the arena by limiting their use based historical availability during that period. That's why for example the Spit XIV is freely available and not perked like it is in the MA. The late model Spit was widely used by that time.
"
You use perks in exaclty the same way as the MA does. If it is strictly rarity based then unperk the 262 as it wasnt rare.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2003, 06:56:40 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
If it is strictly rarity based then unperk the 262 as it wasnt rare.

I have a sneaky suspician that you're being serious here which makes it even funnier! :aok

Get over the "I earned my perks, dammit, and I'll be damned if I'm just gonna stand by and let you abuse the perk system to keep me from flying a 262 24/7 this week because I earned it, dammit! I EARNED it!!!!!" attitude. If the staff is perking a ride and resetting the perks universally then it's probably because they don't wanna see "perk vets" fill the arena with jets (or whatever uberplane they deem a bit too much to see all of the players on one side in) from the first second the arena opens. If you earned them before, you can earn them again. Hop to it, Hop-sing! ;) :D
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 06:59:01 PM by Arlo »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2003, 08:53:56 PM »
If the perked rides are available from "rear fields" only, then why perk them at all? The distance from the fight would be limiting their use enough wouldnt it?

I dont think this perk resetting system is as balancing as some of you think. I dont see where it helps people new to the CT or people who dont dont fly it regularly.

Get over the "I earned my perks, dammit, and I'll be damned if I'm just gonna stand by and let you abuse the perk system to keep me from flying a 262 24/7 this week because I earned it, dammit! I EARNED it!!!!!" attitude.    

No, dont think I will get over it. Its crap, plain and simple. You get to fly some late war vs late war stuff, but they're perked, and we took away your perk points. Have fun. **** that.*

*Not a personel attack on you Jester, I just dont like the system.

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2003, 09:42:23 PM »
CT Staff,

Regarding perks, perk resets, and limited plane availability, and airstarts.

I watched 4 people log in today ask wtf happened to their perks, find out, and then log out. As I pointed out earlier and true to my statement these were all the infrequent flyers. They figured rightly that they wouldn't have the time to build up their perks and get a perk plane and were disgusted by the reset.

As far as limiting the number of perk planes I flew for about 9hrs total today and saw only 4 perk planes in the sky. I was flying all of them. 3 Tempests and a 262. At no other time did I see any other perk plane on either side. I know that others had the perks at this point to fly a perk ride but no one else chose to do so. Evidently, even when people have excess perks they won't spend them on perk rides so often that there is a problem.

While you all might be convinced that your correct, again experience dictates otherwise. Naturally, I expect one of you to say "I've been a CM for and I know from experience that you are wrong". That is fine... go right ahead... never see any of you flying anyway (except EddieK 1 time) so whatever experience you might have had doesn't appear to correlate with reality anymore.

Regarding airstarts for bombers I saw a single B17 formation at 10k. 4 B26 formations at under 4K. 1 JU88 formation at 6K. The B17s and 1 of the B26 formation executed a lvl bombing run. All others dive bombed. Sorry but you can't honestly expect me to beleive that airstarts are more "Quake-like" than the dive bombing hvy bombers.

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: November 21, 2003, 09:52:47 PM »
Arlo. there were around 2000 Me 262s made. It was not a rare plane.

What ever these guys can do what they want with "their" arena.
I wish they would leave "my" perk points alone but what do I know.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2003, 10:16:44 PM »
Are they gone for good? Or can the perk points be resurrected once the CT perk slate is wiped clean? If it's the latter then what is the staff supposed to do from this point on? Promise to never wipe out perks again and hope the disgruntled perkie collectors will come back to the CT and play? Does it even really matter (on more than an individual "I had a perkie treasure chest that went nowhere but up for the longest time and now somebody emptied it just when the free cash coulda turned me a profit!" thang)??? After all, any perks earned in a setting where perkie planes were free and losing them didn't cost ya nothing weren't really worth squat in any sense.

Did we regain our lost perks after the late Pac AAF perked P-38/perked N1K setup? They were reset then and nobody seemed to mind. If we got `em back then I missed it - I never keep track of `em.

So now we once again see a setup using the perks as an uber-ride flow control ... with a perkie reset (which keeps players who horde perks from hopping in a 262 (or a Tempest ... etc.) on their first sortie ... well damn!) and now the sky is falling!

I don't see the problem, myself. This ain't the MA. Like I said before ... perkies didn't mean squat in the past in the CT and now all of a sudden it's the end of the world for some players.

Maybe any plane that costs perks in the MA should never be used in a CT setup. Then players wouldn't be suffering so much "perkie anxiety."

Now it should be obvious that I've found my fair share of faults in various CT practices but this one sure doesn't seem like it's worth frettin' about ... much less poppin' a vein over.

*ShruG*
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 10:27:21 PM by Arlo »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2003, 10:25:10 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
Arlo. there were around 2000 Me 262s made. It was not a rare plane.

What ever these guys can do what they want with "their" arena.
I wish they would leave "my" perk points alone but what do I know.

I hate to tell ya but 2000 examples ... not all of which saw actual active combat duty .... does not qualify an aircraft model as "not rare." ;)

Did you anticipate CT perkies being worth something someday back when you were flying perkie planes for free? Didn't cost ya a thing. Wait ... you've never once lost  perk plane in the CT?

If HT did away with the perkie system altogether .... in all arenas ... would you be cancelling your account the next day? All that perkie hordin' for nuthin'?

Well the good news is that HT is leaving the perkie gravytrain in the MA alone. The "bad" news is now that perkies serve a function in the CT ... it ain't quite the function you're used to.

I bet you'll get to fly a perk ride this week if you put as much energy into a half dozen sorties as you just did in this thread.

p.s. Let's have a contest to see who can find the first post asking the CT staff to start perking rides? :)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 10:30:32 PM by Arlo »

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2003, 11:07:46 PM »
Two of the best things about the Combat Theater are its historical matchups and its role as a sort of focus group cutting edge innovator.

Many of the issues debated in the Main Arena often are explored in action in CT, including perks variations.  This week features the midpoint of perk points starting from scratch at the beginning of the scenario.

Beginners benefit from no perks, aces benefit from max perks, and most of us are somewhere in between.  So isn't it a good function of CT to more or less beta a one-week scenario that offers perking but only from the start of that week?
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2003, 12:04:52 AM »
looks good jester (w00t 262 time!)
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2003, 01:33:57 AM »
The perks should be left alone only if the CT is going to have every setup with perk rides. Otherwise, they should be reset every time a new setup in done. The MA has perk rides all the time, so they are not reset. Thats the MA. This is the CT.

There is no point in trying to limit certain types with perk points if everybody already has 150 of them from flying the last 3 setups with no perk rides. I could have had 30 Tempests with my current points. Or 4 a day (2 hrs or more at least?) for the whole week, and never worry about not having one to fly. Thats not limited.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 01:36:37 AM by Squire »
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2003, 02:29:22 AM »
Nail on the head, Squire.