Author Topic: the beaufighter  (Read 4043 times)

Offline brady

• Platinum Member
      • http://personal.jax.bellsouth.net/jax/t/y/tyr88/JG2main.html
the beaufighter
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2003, 01:04:18 PM »
One of my favorate Beaufighter pick's:

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2003, 01:47:47 PM »
I don't think the Mosquito replaced the Beaufighter in the anti-shipping role because it was better, just cheaper and easier to maintain.  The Mosquito started replacing the Beaufighter from around  late 1944/45 so Merlin engines were in easy supply.  The Mossies were made out of wood and so cheaper to manufacture plus easier to repair.  Okay, the Mossie was faster but in the anti-shipping role that wasn't really an issue.  The Beaufighter could also carry a Torpedo if necessary which the Mossie couldn't.

So, the Beaufighter had much more things that could go wrong, whearas the Mossie was in huge mass production and easier to maintain and why I think it superceded the Beaufighter.
NEXX

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2003, 01:50:36 PM »
what a beautiful plane.

we want more pics
we want more pics
we want more pics
we want more pics

Offline Red Tail 444

• Gold Member
      • http://www.redtail.org
the beaufighter
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2003, 03:09:52 PM »
Originally posted by zroostr
even though the moss is there this was still a viable plane that was used quite a bit. i mean we have many 109's and 190 versions, what could it hurt to have the big brother of the mossie in the game.

For the record, I wasn't making an argument against it's addition. I fly the beau in -shhhhh- Target Rabaul, and I enjoy it.

Gainsie

Offline Sarge1

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.geocities.com/soundpge/index.html
the beaufighter
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2003, 03:27:11 PM »
hmmmm you stole your thread back...:lol

Offline zroostr

• Copper Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2003, 08:10:48 PM »
Originally posted by Sarge1
hmmmm you stole your thread back...:lol

yeah but i had some interested and interesting folks help out :D

btw, the use of the torp sounds pretty sweet with that plane. get a gang of em together and you could prolly sink a whole fleet in one pass :aok

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member

Offline Rutilant

• Silver Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2003, 12:48:20 AM »
Mossie looks better. Way better. :p

Less stocky..

Offline Tony Williams

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
the beaufighter
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2003, 02:12:01 AM »
Originally posted by Hades55
If i remember well one model had also a
75mm cannon.

Nope - no British plane carried a 75mm. The Mossie FB XVIII (aka Tsetse) carried the 57mm Molins gun for anti-ship/sub purposes (see: http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Molins.htm for details and pics) and one Beau was used to test the Vickers and R-R airborne anti-tank 40mm guns (one of each) but none carried anything bigger than the 20mm in service.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Offline Hades55

• Nickel Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2003, 03:15:02 AM »
Thanks for the link tony :)
I had shoot with this 6pdr 5 times.
Its amazing how straight ballistics has and
his kick.
At the shoot it can come 45deg up :)
Two hits on target and 3 very near.
3 km dist.
(missed less than 1 meter).
This is a perfect cannon for planes and i dare to say its good even in air to air until
2 km and against bombers, let the anti tank use, witch would be the best Anti Tank (air) weapon of WWII.
Im wondering why they had not use it.
Maby it was the strong kick ?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2003, 03:30:48 AM by Hades55 »

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2003, 05:52:18 AM »
Yup, the Molins 57mm equipped Mossie was used before they were equipped with rockets, in other words rockets replaces the 57mm!

As for the Beaufighter, the Mk.X had the 4 x 20mm, 6 x .303 forward firing, but the Mk.21 (Australian variant) had 4 x 20mm and 4 x .50 forward firing.  Hence why I'd like the Mk.21! :)
NEXX

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #26 on: November 22, 2003, 06:07:34 AM »
3 words for you replicant

HEAD ON DWEEB :D  

Offline Tony Williams

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk
the beaufighter
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2003, 01:36:50 AM »
The 57mm was far more accurate than RPs, but was less flexible in that RPs could be fitted to just about anything and didn't need a special model of plane. This is from 'Flying Guns: World War 2' by Emmanuel Gustin and myself:

"Finally, it is worth mentioning the other big gun used operationally by the RAF, the Molins 6pdr fitted to the Mosquito Mark XVIII, or "Tsetse". This was designed as an automatic anti-tank gun for the army but subsequently developed for aircraft use, still as an anti-tank weapon. The massive recoil was absorbed by an 80 cm recoil movement, which as with the Class S kept the peak loads very low. The RAF ordered 36, the first being delivered in July 1943, with a total of 27 being constructed. Before they saw action, requirements changed yet again and they were handed over to Coastal Command for anti-submarine and anti-shipping duties, so they were never used in the anti-tank role for which they had been designed. They undoubtedly would have been effective in terms of both power and accuracy. The 2.8 kg shot, fired at 890 m/s, was capable of penetrating 82 mm / 450 m / 60º and 71 mm at 900 m when fired on the ground; obviously it would improve on this when fired from the air. A War Office report stated that four rounds were normally fired per attack, of which an average of 1.3 could be expected to hit a 3 m2 target. This is equivalent to a 33% hit rate against a tank, usefully higher than the Hurricane IID (presumably because of the fuselage mounting and much higher muzzle velocity)."

By comparison, RPs had a 5% hit rate against tanks in training, and 0.5% in combat. The reason why the Tsetse wasn't used for ground attack was probably that it was considered too vulnerable to ground fire because of its size.

Tony Williams: Military gun and ammunition website and Discussion forum

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2003, 01:50:47 AM »
For what it's worth, the Beau in some ways makes better sense to have to start then the Mossie.  Early nightfighter,  lots of ground attack in North Africa, where the Mossie didn't go.  Lots of work in the Pacific, The Aussies produced their own Beaus.  The Mossie couldn't handle the humidity and heat in the Pac as the wood often delaminated with disasterous results.  Yes some made it, but not in the numbers of the Beau.  And of course all those anti-shipping Beaus, running into Norway etc to clobber all they could see.

Of course having both the Beau and the Mossie would be great too :)

Where the Mossie looks sleek and powerful, the Beau looks rugged and powerful.

Both great planes.

Dan/Slack
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
the beaufighter
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2003, 02:23:36 AM »
If I recall right, Beau was quite complex plane to produce, which meant it was expensive.
IIRC 3 spitfires could be built in the time it takes to build one beau.