Author Topic: Moderator  (Read 5720 times)

Offline Tilt

• Platinum Member
      • FullTilt
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2003, 10:41:27 AM »
Who moderates the moderator?

The answer is quite simply put when you ask the question differently.

Who should never moderate the moderator?

Answer is "The players" or more correctly "those being moderated"

The moderator should never be placed in any position where his/her judgement is influenced by those he/she is moderating. Directly or indirectly. Hence anonimity.

Where is the line to be drawn?

Answer is "no where".

Draw a line and idiots will start to probe it, test it, abuse its loop holes and/or its ommissions.

Be sure that if someone wants to test the line they will cross it.

Its also quite clear that "context and intent" feature in any judgement call. Hence the same piece of text may be abusive/disruptive one week and less or more so the next.

AW  moderators were trained and had to take a course in moderation. Their actions (beyond a certain point) were recorded and certain actions required additional authorities.

I think HTC's overhead in this respect will not be so heavy but I would expect the same golden rules to apply. I would expect a text log is run (during each moderator intervention) so that HTC can cross check the history........... however do not expect to ever see it............. it would be internal quality control only.
Ludere Vincere

Offline Bulz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2003, 10:51:31 AM »
Well for those who were on last night, some guy I never heard of before was a bit insulting to us "no life virtual reality players" while we have real people defending us in the armed forces..  Yes, I myself squelched him, but he was obvoiusly relentless in his attacks because of some of the replies I saw.  Crzhrs actually DEFNEDED his right to an opinion noting that he to had freedoms.. and crzhrs got warned...  Though this persons attacks on us were overboard, he never got muted at this time and crzhrs did?????  Hmmmm...  I have learned over time that there is a vast majority of us who are in fact VETS! (yes me included.. 6 yrs USN, Submarine service)...  So this individuals "attacks struck a raw cord with quite a few people.  I think Crzhrs point (which seems to be missed by most), is that the moderator did not agree with his position so told him to stop...  I find this an amusing Gestapo like tactic in exercising the mods power...

Bottom line, the abusive individual was allowed to ramble on... Crzhrs asked mod a question, stated his opinion (WITH NO ABUSIVE LANGUAGE!) and got muted.  That was totally uncalled for on the mods part...  I was there.. I saw the text buffer...  And I'm sure that HTC could verify this, however I doubt it will go any further than stopping this thread...  and actually I'm not sure they should go any further.  Let Crz vent.. he has just cause.. oh, and by the way.. I found out he too is a VET.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2003, 10:57:16 AM »
Originally posted by Bulz
 I found out he too is a VET.

Oh ****! that changes everything! forget what I said about the WOT!

-Sik

lol.
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2003, 11:00:27 AM »
CrzHrs: Funny you claim to want to hide behind the rules so you don't get muted, yet when a modirator explains the rules to you by simply warning you twice, you still ignore the rules. Only then do you get muted , warned again , and then muted again. Now explain to me how the rules are the problem? Seems to me some one ignoring the rules is the problem.

HiTech

Offline Rude

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2003, 11:08:18 AM »
Hear Hear!!!

Offline AWMac

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2003, 11:11:15 AM »
In

:rofl

Lock it now Scuzzy!  :aok

Offline Bulz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2003, 11:13:04 AM »
Umm, what's a "WOT"? hehehe..  Relax junior..

Offline mars01

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2003, 11:13:48 AM »
Boy this ones a snoozer - dont you guys have anything better to do at work lol.

hehehehe

Offline Bulz

• Zinc Member
« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2003, 11:14:53 AM »
WORK!!!  It a four letter word!! MUTE HIM!!!  NOW!!!  :lol

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2003, 11:20:39 AM »
Originally posted by Steve
I've been muted a handful of times... deserved  every one.  IMHO the moderators do a fair job; all the while, as far as I know, with no reward... and occasional abuse to boot.

I just don't understand why people care if they get muted.  So ya lose 10 minutes of chat time... learn a lesson so you don't make the mistake again.  I'm not saying moerators are infallible... what moderator in any game/sport is?

If getting muted burns you so badly... perhaps you should consider spending time in a chat room that sets no boundaries on language.

Sigh....

I guess hell just froze over...I'm agreeing with Steve:):)

CrzHrs....you got issues son:eek:

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2003, 11:22:59 AM »
CrzyHrse, don't you have the munchies by now...go check the fridge, and stay off the boards til ya come down.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2003, 11:25:08 AM »
Originally posted by CrzHrs
You speak for all ehhh Grizz? Look the Moderator position needs defined so that they themselves arent allowed to abuse the position, but you cant tell what that is now can you! It seems that all of you are very ready to lay down and accept whatever is handed out just so you can play this game, I on the other hand am not afraid to air it out and get it laid out so that it can be applied fairly to all, in its current condition that cant happen, if your all to blinded to see that then you will richly deserve what you get. Moderators can and have abused their power and thats simply because its open ended.

No, but I think I can speak for the moderators. I have three years experience as one in another game, including being in charge of TOS enforcement. Many here have experience also and can vouch for what I say.

I'm sure the AH moderator positions are well defined with guidelines to operate under. But we wouldn't know about this because, quite frankly, it's none of our business. It's a matter of company policy between HTC and the moderators.

The TOS writeup doesn't include an itemized list of what you can or can't do for a reason. If the limits are clearly defined, it serves to be violated by those who choose to dance around in the gray area. When you cross the line, the moderator informs you. This is your TOS notification. If you choose to continue violating or confront the moderator, you will be muted, or if it's HiTech, bounced. If this happens it's your fault and you got what you bargained for.

Yes, the moderators will make mistakes and some misuse their authority (like if they are in a bad mood). Nobody's perfect. But when this happens, take it up with HTC instead of arguing in the arena or here.

You don't have to curse to get a warning. One of the worse things that happen to a moderator is having a player start arguing his call in the arena. Soon others join in and you will have the disruption you claim can't happen. At such times all players involved are apt to get warned or muted, even if what they said wasn't vulgar. The same applies for things such as political arguments.

So, that's the situation and you have no recorse but to comply or leave. And you will get little pitty from us, because the moderators are also serving us.

BTW, a big thank you and kudos to all moderators, whoever you are =o)

grizzly

Offline Shamus

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2003, 11:32:18 AM »
I think the thing that was bothering CrzHrs was the apparent lack of consistancy on the Moderators part.

As long as Moderators are human  that is going to happen, there is no such thing as a 100% objective human.

If an occasional thread such as this makes the Moderators strive to be more consistant and objective, it's a positive thing.

shamus
one of the cats

FSO Jagdgeschwader 11

Offline A_Clown

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
can't argue with that logic!
« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2003, 11:53:15 AM »
IMO- there really is no sense getting all caught up in the moderator issue. Very doubtful you will come up with anything to say or do, that will affect any change.

HTC has made their rules & regulations according to what they feel is best. I can't imagine how "ass" made the banned word filter, yet "p-u-s-s-y" is perfectly acceptable (in MA text but not here).  ........ So with that logic in place, my choice is to squelch ch1, usually upon interance to MA.
If I feel the need to communicate on 1, I tune it in at that time & turn it off when done.

As long as moderator positions are filled by humans, mistakes will be made. OBVIOUSLY!

A_Clown

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2003, 12:34:39 PM »
Crz.. you call me simple... more irony!
You really should refrain from attacking the intellect of others while reflecting your own ignorance and stupidity.  Ignorant because you're a poor speller.  Stupid because only a stupid person would ignore repeated warnings about a specific behavior, suffer the consequences of ignoring the warnings, then whine about  said consequences in the public forum.

Blahahaha!!!
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve