Author Topic: A Foolish President Bush  (Read 6891 times)

Offline Yeager

• Plutonium Member
A Foolish President Bush
« on: November 27, 2003, 12:08:41 PM »
Flys Air Force One into Baghdad Intl Airport for a Thanksgiving with his troops today.

Im sure some will call it a sincere desire to thank the troops, others will call it a publicity stunt but I consider it simply foolish to risk his life for such a small thing.

Word has it he is already on the way back to US.  At least he made it out ok
"If someone flips you the bird and you don't know it, does it still count?" - SLIMpkns

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2003, 12:41:02 PM »
I like him more and more actually.

Its nice that he spent thanksgiving with the troops.

But no matter what he does, some ppl will critizise him. *shrug* that is how the liberal mind works...

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2003, 12:44:20 PM »
Agreed, Hortland.  While I disagree with our commander in chief on some domestic issues, he is a leaders' leader.  I'm proud of him.  Not since FDR have we had a president visit what amounts to a hot-zone.  Again, he is doing what a leader should do.  Oh, and happy Thanksgiving Day to all, especially our troops.  God bless them.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2003, 01:05:47 PM »
I call it a PR stunt for the troops and the folks at home. Prolly works to.

Offline Hortlund

• Platinum Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2003, 01:11:11 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10

Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a morale-boost for the troops, and a "PR stunt"?

Offline Nilsen

• Plutonium Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2003, 01:21:42 PM »
A PR stunt of this nature is done by the president to boost his ratings back home and to make the troops feel important.

A pure moral boost aimed at the troops on the ground would be aimed primarily at the troops and does not have to be sent over and over again on TV all over the world.

Offline mora

• Gold Member
Re: A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2003, 01:30:10 PM »
Originally posted by Yeager
Flys Air Force One into Baghdad Intl Airport for a Thanksgiving with his troops today.

Im sure some will call it a sincere desire to thank the troops, others will call it a publicity stunt but I consider it simply foolish to risk his life for such a small thing.

Word has it he is already on the way back to US.  At least he made it out ok

AF1 has all the best countermeasures in the world. Anyway it's very hard to bring even a stock 747 down with a manpad, you would need multiple hits.

Of course the ignorant public doesn't know that.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 01:32:27 PM by mora »

Offline SaburoS

• Gold Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2003, 01:32:04 PM »
PR stunt or no, his visit took courage. Probably meant a ton to the troops he visited more than anything else. In this case I tip my hat to him.
Men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth -- more than ruin -- more even than death.... Thought is subversive and revolutionary, destructive and terrible, thought is merciless to privilege, established institutions, and comfortable habit. ... Bertrand Russell

Offline Sabre

• Gold Member
      • Rich Owen
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2003, 01:37:36 PM »
Originally posted by Nilsen10
A PR stunt of this nature is done by the president to boost his ratings back home and to make the troops feel important.

A pure moral boost aimed at the troops on the ground would be aimed primarily at the troops and does not have to be sent over and over again on TV all over the world.

Well, can he help it if the news outlets report it?  Seriously, no politician does anything without considering the PR side of it.  However, there was absolutely no advance notice to the media, not even a hint to "be prepared for some special news" kind of heads-up.  The fact is, this president has been very consistant in his dealing with the military, insuring they know how much he and the country appreciate their sacrifice.  He came to town here Monday, and I got to watch his motorcade drive by.  He spoke with the troops at Fort Carson, then visited with a number of families that has lost members in Iraq.  Those visits were in private.  It takes a measure of courage to look into the faces of people who's sons and daughters, or husbands and wifes have made the ultimate sacrifice on your say so.  It takes conviction that that say so was worth the price.
Sabre
"The urge to save humanity almost always masks a desire to rule it."

Offline qts

• Nickel Member
      • None yet
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2003, 01:54:54 PM »
Let's not forget that recently an Airbus operated by DHL did take a hit from a MANPAD. I've seen some up-close photos of the damage.

Once again, President Bush has done the right thing.

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2003, 02:09:00 PM »
Smart and daring move.

Offline straffo

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2003, 02:20:38 PM »
Originally posted by Hortlund
Just out of curiosity, what would be the difference between a morale-boost for the troops, and a "PR stunt"?

Why making a distinction ?
It can be both equaly , no-one will know for sure except GWB himself.

It's smart

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2003, 02:31:03 PM »
I think it was good idea regardless of the motive. :p

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2003, 02:47:02 PM »
Salute to him for this.  First American President in Iraq.

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
A Foolish President Bush
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2003, 02:52:26 PM »

Had he spent a quite Thanksgiving in the Whitehouse, would you have bashed him because the troops had to celebrate that day in the field, while he was safe and warm at home?

I think some would find fault with the man no matter what he did.