Author Topic: Sortie preparation  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Sortie preparation
« on: December 19, 2003, 12:21:11 PM »
Part 1

Recently, I have had discussions with squad members about successfully landing sorties. Especially when flying as part of a group headed out on a base capture.

Have you ever noticed that some guys will make three or more trips to a base under attack? They do this because they get clobbered on the way or shortly after they get there. However, it doesn't have to be like that if they do a little planning and employ intelligent tactics. Even a pilot with sub-par ACM skills can do well when they are well prepared.

I posted this to the squad BBS, and figured it might benefit the Aces High population in general.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last night HavocA-20 asked me; “How do you do that?” He was referring to running up large kill totals in single sorties.

Well, the answer certainly isn’t simple. It depends a lot on what type of situation you are in. Most players join in on base attack missions, both formal and informal. Since nearly everyone can relate to this scenario, let's discuss how to be more successful and survive the sortie.

There are a large number of factors that contribute to successful sorties and the first factor begins with examining the map prior to flying.

This is when you determine where you will fly. It should be obvious that you don’t want to begin a sortie taking off from a field that is being swarmed by the enemy. You can’t expect to have a productive flight if you can’t get off the runway alive. When I hear squadies whining about getting vulched, I have immediate doubts about their ability to understand even the most obvious situation. Take a few seconds and examine the map. Are there bad guys over or near your airfield? While in the tower, scan around in all directions, MAKE SURE that no enemies are patrolling over the base, just waiting for some guy to try and take off. Now, consider the short term tactical situation after you take off. Are there bogies inbound? How close are they? Watch the text buffer for information about their location, altitude and type or types of aircraft. Only after you have a clear picture of the local situation are you ready to consider what to fly and where to go.

Let’s say that there is a small raid headed for an enemy base. You would like to go with them. First, you have to analyze what you can expect for opposition, over the target and in route. You also should consider likely direction of arriving enemy reinforcements. Next, you need to determine what it is you wish to accomplish when you get there. Is your priority to engage enemy defending fighters? Then you need to select the best aircraft for that purpose. Do you plan on attacking the base itself, and then select an aircraft that provides for that and still has adequate performance to tackle the defenders after you drop your ordnance. Remember, you have not even left the tower yet, you are still in the planning stage of the sortie. Once you have formulated a plan and selected the aircraft to carry it out, now you have to decide on things such as ordnance and fuel load. Again, this takes some consideration. My general rule is not to take more bombs than I can drop on a single pass. There are exceptions to this, such as when I’m defending against a GV attack, where flying around with ordnance hanging from my wing does not impair my ability to fight enemy aircraft, because there aren’t any enemy aircraft. Frequently, I’ll take some ordnance even if my purpose is to engage fighters. Why? Because, the tactical situation can quickly change during your flight to the target and having a bomb or some rockets may prove to be beneficial. You can always dump the ordnance should you not need it. But, you must be aware that the first casualty of battle is the battle plan itself. So, load your aircraft for maximum flexibility. While I’m on the topic of bombs and rockets, understand that most pilots will survive the initial bomb run. It’s when they reverse and make a second run that most get trapped low and get shot down by a horde of low fighters. Make one run, get safely away from the defending mob and then consider your next move. I’m getting ahead of myself here, so back to loading your aircraft. DO NOT take any more fuel than you will need to get to the target, stay engaged for 10 minutes and return. For the P-51, that seldom means more than 50%. However, if you’re flying a short range fighter, 100% may be in order. Taking too little means you will either have to cut short the sortie or not get back at all. That nullifies all the previous planning, so be sure you load enough gas. Load too much and you’ll limit the performance of your aircraft. Use drop tanks and less internal fuel whenever feasible. I do that frequently when flying P-47s or F4Us. This gives you good range and doesn’t limit performance in a fight like full tanks will do. However, I rarely fly more than 1.5 sectors to a fight as it wastes time and time is not always plentiful.

So, you’ve planned your sortie, studied the map and radar. You’ve selected your aircraft and loaded it with fuel and weapons. Now you are ready to spawn and takeoff. But, wait a minute. Have you determined which runway is best suited for takeoff? You certainly don’t want a steep cliff dead ahead while trying to get a heavy P-47 off the ground. You surely don’t want to pass low over enemy GVs approaching your field. Therefore, also consider the best runway before you spawn.

Ok, you’re on the runway with your engine running. You’re ready to roll. Here’s some good advice. As soon as you push the power up to maximum, engage WEP. For all Allied fighters, keep it in WEP until the temperature needle reaches the lower edge of the yellow zone. Do the same for Japanese aircraft. For German remain in WEP until the needle is halfway into the yellow zone. For Soviet fighters such as the La-5 and La-7, keep it in WEP until you reach 8,000 feet as beyond this there is no benefit. For the Yak-9T, use the halfway into the yellow zone method or 4k above sea level, which ever comes first.

Why use WEP on takeoff? Well, the engine is going to get to the lower edge of the yellow zone anyway, so why not benefit from the increased climb rate while the engine is still quite cool? The difference can be as much as 2,000 to 3,000 feet over the same time span, and that added altitude can be critical should the enemy suddenly appear running an NOE on your field, or perhaps even a single con sneaking in under the radar. It also means you will reach your cruise altitude earlier, thus shortening the time needed to transit to the target. Finally, there’s absolutely no reason not to use WEP on takeoff. Also, before taking off from a carrier, select your bombs before rolling in the event on takeoff your fighter is wallowing on the verge of a stall, you can pickle off the bombs and possibly avoid a crash. You can always land and rearm.

As you climb out, you still have things to do. Some guys use this time for visits to the bathroom. Generally, I do not. Instead, I am constantly monitoring the vox and text buffer for information that can help me when I get to the target. I also study the radar, keeping tabs on what is going on at my destination and along the route. I also watch surrounding sectors so that I can spot trouble brewing that may affect me upon my return to base. Likewise, if you are beyond friendly radar coverage, you need to be ever watchful if there is any BARDAR in your sector. Always assume that you will encounter the enemy when it’s least opportune.

Approaching the target the likelihood of encountering enemy fighters greatly increases. Bombs should already be selected in the event they must be dumped. If no opposition is encountered at or above your altitude, you can now begin planning your attack. That’s right, you need to consider what you want to accomplish. Therefore, you have to evaluate the status of the target and its defense. Oh sure, you could do as the suicide porkers do and simply dive into a hanger, but that makes for short, unsatisfying sortie.

As I’ve stated earlier, I usually bring some ordnance even if I have designated the sortie as “Fighter”. When I reach the enemy base, I take the time required to determine what needs to be clobbered, relative to my goals, which may not be the goals of the guys wanting to capture the base. More often than not I’m looking for a GV to bomb, preferably while they’re still in the VH. I know that getting whacked while still in the VH is supremely annoying. Getting several of them AND the VH at once is very satisfying.

Before I roll in to attack, there are several things I want to determine. Altitude and location of defending fighters is number one. Is the field ack still up? How about the manned ack? Are there GVs on the base that may interfere with my bomb/rocket run? Be patient, case the place like you plan to rob it. Decide which direction to attack from and the direction of egress. When you are content with your plan, execute it. DO NOT immediately reverse, rather extend out, clear your six and then head back.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2003, 12:21:49 PM »
Part 2

Okay, you have dropped your ordnance, now what? Now it’s time to kill the enemy fighters. If you’ve done as I have suggested, you will be above the crowd and unmolested. Since you likely have an altitude advantage, you will be making a slashing attack. Carefully observe the enemy, watch for guys who are in pursuit of friendlies. Odds are that they are not paying much attention to anything else. This guy dies first. Regardless of what it is that I am flying, I will fight in the vertical as much as is possible. So, pulling off the first kill, I will zoom up while scanning for the next victim. Remember, you are not much higher than the swirling mass, probably no more than a thousand feet above them. However, that is enough to provide you with the tactical advantage, meaning that you determine which enemy is engaged. Keep alert to fighters trying to zoom up to you for a shot. You can usually rope them with ease, getting them to stall and rolling in on them while they wallow about trying to regain some air speed. My rule in this type of low-level furball is to never turn more than 90 degrees with any fighter. You will kill your E and find yourself no better off than the guys you are trying to shoot down. When I say E (energy), I don’t mean blinding speed. I refer to keeping my velocity just above corner speed, which for most fighters is the general area of 250 mph. You may find enemy fighters zooming up to your height or even higher. Don’t worry about them, they have no E remaining and are easy kills as they hang on their props. Maintain your speed, kill as many as possible without being overly greedy. Avoid HOs. Be aggressive, not reckless. Knowing the difference is vital to being successful, vs just another dead furballer. Eventually with good tactics and adequate numbers, the enemy will be beaten down and forced to take off under fire or quit the defense. Remember to check the radar every few minutes. If the enemy can’t defend the field any longer without getting vulched, you can expect them to launch out of the nearest field to resume the defense. You need to be aware of this and be prepared for them to arrive, and arrive with the advantage of altitude and speed. However, it will be a while before they get there and there’s still damage to be done.

This is when you reap the reward for your efforts. Vulching may not demand great flying skills, but it does have skills onto itself. Precise shooting and flawless timing will garner you as many kills as is possible. At least inasmuch as the enemy cooperates and continues to spawn aircraft. Typically, I can expect to get several before I run out of ammo or gas becomes an issue.

Let’s say you have 7 kills, four over the field with three vulches tossed in for good measure. You notice that your fuel is becoming critical. You can stay, possibly getting a few more vulch kills, or you can break-off and head for your base. Knowing when to quit is part of the overall equation. If the field is about to be captured, you will probably want to remain. However, if the issue is in doubt, do not hesitate, leave now.

At this point you have decided to head for home and land your kills. Well, deciding to return and actually getting there are two different things. So once again, planning becomes an important factor. Virtually every aspect that went into the ingress flight must be re-applied to the return trip. You don’t want any surprises. Check the radar, be sure there’s no enemy at your field or will be at your field when you arrive, both low on gas and with nearly empty guns (always save some ammunition for the return flight). When egressing from a field, stay low until out of icon range, then begin a shallow, high-speed climb, putting about 5,000 (AGL) feet beneath you. You will need that height if you run into enemy fighters. Should the enemy be attacking your field (as is common practice, to kill the fuel and troops in an effort stop the assault on their base), consider diverting to another field, even a V-base if need be. Or, you can do what I do and kill them when you get there. Either way, you must be cognizant of your fuel state, because you don’t want to be flying around deadstick with a horde over your field. Better to ditch nearby than be vulched.

After you land, you may choose to simply rearm and go back. Or, you can land those kills and re-up again. Or, you can go somewhere else. Either way, the whole process must start anew.

Taking a few minutes to plan and prepare will go a long way to helping you to land more sorties.

One last sentiment. I constantly hear squadies yelling over VOX about someone on their 6. "Damn! I have an La-7 closing on my six!"

I usually respond by asking; "what are you doing about it?"

The most common reply is; "I'm runnin' like hell!"

Folks, I don't care what fighter you are flying, the La-7 is certainly formidable. Nonetheless, in all probability the guy flying it isn't. Stop worrying about what the enemy is going to do to you and start thinking about you are going to do to him. Always turn into trailing fighters, make them fight. You'll find that you will survive far more often than if you simply resort to running and dodging. Your mindset should be; "anyone who chases me does so at his own peril."

My regards,

Widewing
Free direct-to-tower transportation, no waiting.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 12:33:18 PM by Widewing »
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline simshell

• Nickel Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2003, 12:44:17 PM »
nice write up i do much everthing you say before take off and flight

just need to work on jabo
known as Arctic in the main

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 01:06:05 PM »
Outstanding stuff...

"Folks, I don't care what fighter you are flying, the La-7 is certainly formidable. Nonetheless, in all probability the guy flying it isn't. Stop worrying about what the enemy is going to do to you and start thinking about you are going to do to him. Always turn into trailing fighters, make them fight. You'll find that you will survive far more often than if you simply resort to running and dodging. Your mindset should be; "anyone who chases me does so at his own peril."

Some of the best advice I've ever seen posted...I'm certainly not one of the "formidable" foes out there and I've found I can usually give a good fight...especially if the bogie has a "superior" plane. I've found they tend to be overly aggresive lest some other guy steals "their" kill.

About the only thing I could even think to add is the concept of spacing. It's normally the 2nd or 3rd con that gets me if I'm being "run down". Ideally I'll drag as far as I can but I'll always try and get as much time with the 1st con as I can...if the 1st bogie is an la-7 and 2nd is a nikki...I'll go as far as possible...even if it means letting the la-7 inside 800 before I rev...If the 1st con is a nikki and the la-7 is out at the edge of icon range...I'll go vertical immediately (to get what ever E I can) then engage (this is all assuming I know I'm gonna get caught). Of course it helps if you can fly your prettythang of to :))

azhacker

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2003, 01:25:13 PM »
I check the map, spawn and autotakeoff while I go off to get a beer, come back and turn toward the big red bar, then go get another beer or check out websites.  If I'm alive when I check back on Aces High, I'll attempt to kill as many of them as a I can.

All this planning stuff sounds way too complicated to me.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline guttboy

• Silver Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2003, 02:07:11 PM »
Widewing....

Been a while since i have been on the boards here but what you say is great.  We preach alot of that in our squadron while we fly.  Great writeup!

Mike:D

Offline WldThing

• Gold Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2003, 08:07:09 PM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
I check the map, spawn and autotakeoff while I go off to get a beer, come back and turn toward the big red bar, then go get another beer or check out websites.  If I'm alive when I check back on Aces High, I'll attempt to kill as many of them as a I can.

All this planning stuff sounds way too complicated to me.

-- Todd/Leviathn

Sounds like what i do... And i agree way too complicated for me aswell... But if it helps some,  more power to yas!! :aok

Offline Jenks

• Nickel Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2003, 08:23:58 PM »
In my humble opinion, a great post!

Thank You Widewing!

A pleasure to be in the virtual skys with you!
MA  The Flying Circus
     Clown in training

FSO  JG11

Offline Virage

• Silver Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2003, 11:57:27 PM »
I'd like to add a something to Widewing's good ideas:

When jaboing an enemy field, avoid the temptation to dive straight in as soon as you get there.    

Take a second or two to make sure the air above the base is clear of enemy fighters before you rush in.

There is no shorter trip to the tower then dive bombing with enemy fighters on your tail.

If the air is not clear, you can either engage with the goal of getting the plane to dive away or circle back and delay your attack 30 seconds while friendlies show up  .  

Many pilots will give up altitude if you make a few aggressive passes at them.

Delaying your attack for a minute out of icon range is often all it takes for the air over target to clear and give you a safe run.
JG11

Vater

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
Sortie preparation
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2003, 05:37:11 AM »
Regarding "How do you do that?" (kill totals)
While reading, I thought of a portion of a squad write-up I did explaining every item in AH scoring, and how to improve in each.
---snip---
k/s- Fighter, Attack- Bring fuel: If you are rtbing fuel and still have pleanty of ammo, you are wrong.  There are several flights where I load 100% and drop tank, and end up burning almost all of it.  Im not suggesting that everyone do that.  You have to tailor your internal fuel load to your own flying.  Very simply, if you are getting shot down with lots of fuel, internal load is too much; getting forced to rtb w/ammo, too little.  Idealy your ammo and fuel are low at the same time.  Unless you are engaging a min off the runway, bring a drop tank, you can cut it anytime, that is what its for.  Of course you can always hotpad to avoid bothering with this, but that turnaround time will probably affect your k/h.  
If there is a possiblity you may get into field surpression during your flight, bring rockets.  Especially in fighter mode (you can dump them anytime w/o penalty).  More than a few times I have racked up 5-10 kills w/o ever spending a round.  Rockets are a great vulching tool.  With practice you can put them where you want them from 1600yds out.  Not only that but, you can contribute to killing objects and gv's while in fighter mode w/o affecting your h%.  
--snip--

Great post WW

Offline Halo

• Gold Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2003, 03:56:14 PM »
Excellent advice, Widewing.  Should be in basic Aces High tactics manual.
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Seneca, 1st century AD, et al)
Practice random acts of kindness and senseless beauty. (Anne Herbert, 1982, Sausalito, CA)
Paramedic to Perkaholics Anonymous

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
Sortie preparation
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2004, 03:03:03 PM »
great post wide

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Sortie preparation
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2004, 08:52:23 PM »
excellent write-up Widewing :aok

has alot to do with SA (Situational Awareness)  may be good idea to edit and put that in your Subject so the masses may find it easier. again excellent post!  It's a keeper :D
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC