Author Topic: Participation in Beta  (Read 2093 times)

Offline Creamo

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.fatchicksinpartyhats.com
Participation in Beta
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2003, 09:51:13 AM »
I just tried, but i assume most people are like me. Most are old AH players, and it's not that they didn't try, but pry were online for very little time. It's such a shock from the good 'ol AH they don't stay.

The new Clipboard is step back, and setting things up pry are not any harder than the original, I just am used to having it ready to go. Personally, I couldn't get past the clunky clipboard that has "hotspots" to select and while they work good on a webpage sometimes, it drove me nuts because it's slow and a stepback from the original.

I'll leave the testing for diehards, I just can't get past AH running well, and will stick to the MA. I don't think HTC asked for anymore so I don't feel bad, or obligated to give useless info, based on what Im used too.

Except for the sun grafix. Lose the spikes, that doesn't look good.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2003, 01:25:47 PM »
Originally posted by Ecliptik
I get less than 30 fps in flight and I have a 9700 Pro and an Athlon XP2000.  It's a bit disheartening.

Hmm...you might have a driver problem. I'm running Ti4200 with same xp2000 and averaging 47 fps or so. (42 in the tower).

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Ecliptik

• Nickel Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2003, 10:32:11 PM »
It seems to be the general case that AH2 runs better on GeForce cards.  It's not a driver problem for me personally, it's an issue of optimizing how the game works with ATI drivers, something that HiTech will have to address.

Offline Drunky

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Oh Yeah? But What About...
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2003, 10:43:17 PM »
I'm running a GeForce card FX5200 (hardly cutting edge right now) but I'm getting over 40 FPS right now.

I'm really enjoying the new FM and gunnery.  Reminds me of a brige between AHI and IL2.

BTW...Pongo was the Unknown Player in AHII.:lol

Trully, the gunnery is more difficult and enjoyable along with the FM.  Reminds of the early days of AH when noone really understood the parameters of AH and it was fresh and exciting.
Drunky | SubGenius
Fat Drunk Bastards
B.A.A.H. - Black Association of Aces High

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2003, 10:51:17 PM »
When you try the beta and lock up or see something you don't like, it's all good because that's what it's there for. Report the flaw and your opinion and try it again. You're not going to find the beta working well for everything you do. It's your job to help turn it into a great product. You should have seen the first version of Aces High! It was incredible how HiTech and his team turned that pig's ear into a silk purse in just a few months.

grizzly

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2003, 12:02:02 AM »
Better turn out tonight. We were up to 15 or so I think.

Offline Chaos68

• Silver Member
      • http://www.amishrakefight.org/gfy/
Participation in Beta
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2003, 07:01:30 AM »
not everyone knows what "BETA" means.  
I catch myself a few times in betas screaming at the screen. You just have to stop and remember its not perfect... its BETA.

Offline WhiteHawk

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2003, 07:14:17 AM »
how was AH1 beta?  Just curious.  Ive always been impressed how HTC irons the bugs out.  I cant see how this is a bigger challenge than brining the original on-line from a blank screen.

Offline AKWeav

• Nickel Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2003, 07:51:07 AM »
I have no problems running the beta online, actually get the same fps I get in "classic". Only problems I've incountered are the sinking gv syndrome, and some graphic alnomilies such as cockpit frames hiding parts of the clipboard.

I like the harder takeoffs and landings (the spit 9 seems to be an aberation that will be fixed I'm sure), and the flight model seems different, but I can't put my finger on the exact difference.

I love the new tracers, it helps my gunnery alot. Looking forward to vox incorperation, I think that aspect will bring in more people.

P-4, 2.8ghz
1ghz ram
128mhz g-force 4
cable modem

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2003, 01:50:37 PM »
Originally posted by WhiteHawk
how was AH1 beta?  Just curious.  Ive always been impressed how HTC irons the bugs out.  I cant see how this is a bigger challenge than brining the original on-line from a blank screen.

In what way?
HTC put up new versions at about the rate they are here, there was no MA so attendence was way higher. You didnt have to pay to be there so attendence was way higher.
The game was alot less developed then AHII is.
Even after go live the game was very much a work in progress. It was a very fun time.

Offline Manedew

• Silver Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2003, 02:42:42 PM »
AH2 is alot more devloped than even the frist PAID realease of AH1 ... oh and it cost 30$ a month back then ........   spoiled ... all of you ..... Did the frist paid AH relase even have hangers?

You know most software projects DON'T finish on schedule....   if they do they are often 'unfinished'.    

I already like AH2 more becuase of the 'new' fm ... (maybe just added air flowpoints or somethng like that..?)  but you can already feel the diffrance...

anyway pizzas up ... so i'll be in AH2, SEA or Il2  till fri.

All you pizza haters play AH2!

NOW!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2003, 02:44:53 PM by Manedew »

Offline MC_Honky

• Parolee
  • Copper Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2003, 02:50:05 PM »
The Pizza is disgusting.  Don't see why HT is still supporting it.

Offline Grizzly

• Nickel Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2003, 03:17:03 PM »
Originally posted by Pongo
In what way?
HTC put up new versions at about the rate they are here, there was no MA so attendence was way higher. You didnt have to pay to be there so attendence was way higher.
The game was alot less developed then AHII is.
Even after go live the game was very much a work in progress. It was a very fun time.

Yeppers. You could barely get a plane to turn without a snap roll or a spin. Don't remember which planes we had to start, but think about the same or less than AHII. It was hard to take off because of torque, but the 109 was nearly impossible then instead of the Spit now. And then we didn't have auto-takeoff or combat trim. I took off by driving over the edge of a cliff and diving for speed. The planes wouldn't slow down. There was no prop drag yet nor it seemed any other type of drag. Guns had a range of like 1500 yards... talk about HOs! Field ack was so lethal you could hardly get within visual range of a field. And when the buffs finally were released. I think the biggest whine back then was players who would taxi a plane to kill troops. Hard to remember all the weird stuff back then because HTC updated it so quickly. AHII is glorious.

grizzly

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
Participation in Beta
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2003, 03:40:20 PM »
The open beta tours of AH are still some of the best times I've had in 10 years or so of online flight simming.

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson