Author Topic: Another Interstate sniper on the loose  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
      • http://n/a
Another Interstate sniper on the loose
« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2003, 03:07:00 PM »
Originally posted by Mini D
That's the only way scenes like this can be exploited... er... I mean prmoted... er... wait... "communicated" to the public.

MiniD

Like posting "Armed Citizen" articles?
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2003, 03:11:39 PM »
We had a similar incident in Oregon when I was growing up.  Someone was throwing bricks off of overpasses and hitting cars.  They hit a little girl in the face with one nearly killing her.  I tried to lobby that it was the presence of bricks in our society that drove this person to lob them off the overpass but nobody would listen.

I'm hoping the media hops on this and shows just how awfull this type of crime is and just how much media coverage they'll give it if you yourself decide to "give it a shot".  That's the only way scenes like this can be exploited... er... I mean prmoted... er... wait... "communicated" to the public.

MiniD

We had something similar happen here, too.  A couple of guys tossed a huge rock off an overpass and it hit the windshield of a lady driving below, collapsed her roof.  She died due to head injuries.  The cops eventually caught the perps and they were put away.

The reason why your demonstration failed was because you went after the wrong inanimate object.  Instead of trying to outlaw bricks, you should've been trying to outlaw overpasses.  By outlawing overpasses, not only could incidents like that be avoided, it might even cut down on the number of suicides, too.  

And save the animals, too.  Remember the deer that fell off an overpass in Michigan and crashed into some guy's Durango?  Think of the deer!  Do it for Bambi!  Save the gay baby deer!

Offline miko2d

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2003, 03:13:32 PM »
Curval: How did gun ownership help the woman shot by this killer?

Life is full of inhherent risks. Trying to minimise them without thinking is likely to just shift them around and increase them. Feel-good knee-jerk reaction or purely political jestis usually the worst one to make.

Economist:

Disaster demands a response, but it is often the wrong one. That is what the experience of Sir Bernard Crossland, a safety expert who led the inquiry into a disastrous underground railway fire in London in 1987 which killed 31 people, suggests. This week Sir Bernard questioned the £300m ($450m) spent on fire-proof doors, metal escalators and suchlike on London's underground after the disaster. The money, he said, might better have been spent on putting smoke detectors in people's houses. It would have paid for one in every house in the country. House fires kill around 500 people a year, mostly in homes without smoke detectors.[/b]

After a disaster, governments' instinct is to halt or restrict the activity concerned. That may be right, but it isn't necessarily. After a rail crash in Britain in 2000, which killed four people, the rail authorities imposed speed restrictions and track inspections. That drove passengers from the railways to the roads. Given that road travel is much more dangerous, this probably caused more fatalities than did the original crash.[/b] It also nearly bankrupted the railways.

Arguably, the same could be said of some of the response to September 11th.[/b] The initial security measures imposed on airlines were based on hunch rather than serious analysis of costs and benefits. America is now, belatedly, moving away from random screening, which led to absurdly rigorous treatment of obviously harmless categories...

If possible, the best solution is to let individuals decide themselves how much risk they will bear, and how much safety they want to pay for. Given the choice, many airline passengers might prefer a slightly cheaper flight on an airline that does not carry useless lifevests under every seat, just as they may choose to buy a Lada rather than a Volvo.

Politicians need to avoid bowing to the cries from newspapers that they must be seen to “make things safe”. Encouraging sensible and informed attitudes to risk will make people richer and happier in the long term, but would require courage and honesty up front. Don't hold your breath.

miko

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2003, 03:15:39 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
Like posting "Armed Citizen" articles?
Yes... just like that... except... well the media doesn't really like to hop all over those once they find out the DA isn't going to press charges.

MiniD

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2003, 03:18:12 PM »
I see...so it is just great and wonderful to have lots of guns and post all kinds of articles whereby gun ownership has saved lives..but just mention the fact that it didn't work here and I am reminded about all of the inherant dangers in life...

bricks
animals
forks
knives

These are the real killers.

Got it.  Thanks.
Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2003, 03:24:10 PM »
you should have lobbied to get rid of walkways on bridges...;)

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2003, 03:35:52 PM »
Originally posted by Curval
I see...so it is just great and wonderful to have lots of guns and post all kinds of articles whereby gun ownership has saved lives..but just mention the fact that it didn't work here and I am reminded about all of the inherant dangers in life...

bricks
animals
forks
knives

These are the real killers.

Got it.  Thanks.
I don't think you do get it... but then I don't think you actually want to.  That wouldn't be as fun.  Plus... you've already shown complete incapability in realizing what the term "crime prevention" means to the point of beligerance.

MiniD

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2003, 03:38:57 PM »
Nah, Curval, the REAL killers are automobiles.

Nobody argues that stat.

You'd be safer in life without a lot of things that are fun.

Driving great cars extremely fast is really fun too. It sure can be dangerous for innocent bystanders when the 150mph sports car hits another car, bicyclist or pedestrians though.

Oh, wait.. we have speed laws.

Hell, drinking slightly to excess is fun; but it sure is dangerous for a lot of innocent uninvolved folks that get run over by drunk drivers.

Oh, wait.. there's DUI laws.

:rofl

Sorry, the "all guns BAD!" Moog approach is just laughable. They're no more "bad" than fast cars, whiskey, unprotected sex, golf clubs or kitchen knives.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2003, 03:49:22 PM »
Originally posted by Toad

Sorry, the "all guns BAD!" Moog approach is just laughable. They're no more "bad" than fast cars, whiskey, unprotected sex, golf clubs or kitchen knives.

yet noone seems to have a problem with people giving out free condoms...kitchen knives are kitchen knives and a person armed with one can be held off with a 3 foot stick...theres nothing wrong with whiskey and if you cant fight off a drunk then your a wimp...fast cars are fun...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2003, 03:53:36 PM »
And just for you know who:

The Denver Post, Denver, Colo., 11/23/01  
  State: CO  
  American Rifleman Issue: 2/1/2002  
  A woman shot and injured a gunman in her yard early one Sunday, cutting short his assault on her and her children. Jaquie Creazzo and her three daughters were forced to flee their home after smoke from a car fire billowed into the house. Once they were outside, Justin Michael Getz came screaming toward the wheelchair-bound woman and her family, firing two handguns at them. "He was loaded for bears," Creazzo said. Her daughters and two nearby firefighters ducked for cover from the erratic gunfire, but Creazzo drew her own gun and fired several shots, hitting her attacker in the leg. Getz was the ex-boyfriend of Creazzo's eldest child, and, according to Creazzo, had threatened to kill the family two days earlier when the girl refused to see him again. "I'm certain if I hadn't responded, none of us would be here today," Creazzo said of the incident. "He had made threats to kill each and every one of us."  

Daily Leader, Leesville, LA, 1/29/95  
  State: LA  
  American Rifleman Issue: 5/1/1995  
  The locked bedroom door was little deterrent to the housebreaker who had already kicked in the back door of a Vernon Parish, Louisiana, woman's home in the middle of the night. When the man, armed with a large butcher knife, crashed into the room where the woman huddled with her 22-month-old child, the woman mortally wounded the assailant with several shots from her .380 pistol. The woman and her child were not injured.  

So, you're thinking it'd have gone better if these folks had whipped out their cell phones instead?
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2003, 03:58:35 PM »
And just for you know who:

So, you're thinking it'd have gone better if these folks had whipped out their cell phones instead?
]

maybe if they had a james bond type cell phone...you know the stun dart ones...

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #41 on: December 03, 2003, 04:00:07 PM »
Also, I checked with my trusted consultant who assured me that, indeed, guns are a GOOD thing.

English Kate's first retrieve of pheasant, btw. This is one Bloke-ette that loves guns.

Offline Curval

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #42 on: December 03, 2003, 04:30:35 PM »
Plus... you've already shown complete incapability in realizing what the term "crime prevention" means to the point of beligerance.

MiniD

Yes I realise that.  You are refering to the bike again.

Once again you show your absolute and utter beligerance by suggesting that the way I put the U-Lock on my tire was irresponsible.  You ignore the fact that I moved the bike from the driveway from which my scooter was stolen, you ignore the fact that I installed sensor lights and placed the bike under them AND the fact that there IS in fact a U-lock on the tire and the steering lock is locked.  Soon I will have a dog of some sort that will also be on patrol around the entire property.  All of this is me being irresponsible and not understanding what crime prevention means.  

If I was to now drill holes in the side of my house and install something that I can affix the U-lock to will you STFU about it?  Please?!

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #43 on: December 03, 2003, 04:50:11 PM »
Also, I checked with my trusted consultant who assured me that, indeed, guns are a GOOD thing.

I take it your "trusted consultant" is not the bird.  I'm pretty sure his oppinion might differ on the subject.

MiniD

Offline Mini D

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • Fat Drunk Bastards
« Reply #44 on: December 03, 2003, 04:54:03 PM »
Irresponsible Curval?  I didn't say that.  I said it could have been done better... you said it was good enough.  Oh well.  After your initial reaction to the police officer stating "you really should lock it better"... I didn't really expect anything other than that out of you.

Everyone else is responsible for everything that happens to you.  Thus, the only solution is to limit everything everyone else can do to make it a safer world for you.

MiniD