Author Topic: Performance Issues  (Read 402 times)

Offline trboprop

• Zinc Member
Performance Issues
« on: December 03, 2003, 11:01:36 PM »
Hello all...

Well I have finally come here after getting fed up with getting killed by low framerates.  Im afraid I already know the answer to this question, but here goes anyway...Im getting extremely choppy frame rates when I fire guns, engage enemy, get close to ground, zoom in...ect..ect..

My hardware:

AMD 900 Mhz (compaq box)
640 MB Ram
Nivedia 8 MB TNT2 Craphics (built on board I think)
XP Pro

Please help...im tired of crashing into ground, hangars and bullets

Offline bockko

• Nickel Member
      • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/blackoutboys/
Performance Issues
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 12:54:12 PM »
i am no amd expert (being an intel type) but your system is on the low end of the power spectrum. Your 1st issue is the video card, it is way out of league especially with that processor. If your system has an agp port you could plug in a modern card. Next, think about upgrading. You can get a smokin deal right now, I saw a $640 system at Dell the other day that had a nice p4 2.4 gig processor with decent video and ram. You would have no problem running the game. Or you could rebuild your system, but that is a bit trickier. The TNT2 pro is #1 to try though, I have one on my other pc, it just isn't fast enough.

later

Offline FOGOLD

• Silver Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 04:45:52 PM »
Absolutely. The video card is the problem. If you can upgrade that even to a secondhand Geforce2 GTS you will notice a big difference. If your video is on the motherboard and you have no AGP slot it will be more difficult, although PCI cards are still available.

If money is real tight, a secondhand 1ghz machine with Geforce3 will play AH just fine. I've seen rigs like that in MicroMart (UK) for $150 -$200.

Offline bloom25

• Silver Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2003, 10:45:42 PM »
By far, the limiting factor on that system is the video card.  For now, I'd simply consider getting a new card.

If you want to do this as cheaply as possible, something like an ATI Radeon 9200 or GeForce FX 5200 Ultra would make a big difference, these are both about $100 cards.  (Do be sure your board has an AGP slot.)  If you have a bit more to spend, the ATI Radeon 9600 cards are around $180.  If you went with a 9600 card you would be primarily limited by the rest of the system (CPU mainly).  Any of these choices will give you very good framerates in AH 1, and should be good enough for AH 2.

Offline spiffykraits

• Copper Member
      • http://home.clara.net/spiff
Performance Issues
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2003, 03:00:49 AM »
If your Video is onboard AGP, it's possible you don't have an AGP separate slot, so you will have to go for a PCI video card version, a 32MB memory PCI video card would probably improve things to optimize your frame rate with the existing CPU.

However, an upgrade to Motherboard, video and CPU would probably be more economic in the long run, as a new Video card will only improve things slightly as overal performance will be governed by the CPU speed.

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003, 08:57:56 PM »
I have a PIII 600; 384 RAM; with a GForce4 MX 440 vid card. Works great in AH. Been using this setup for year, no complaints, other than a slight choppiness near the ground in smoke.

Is totally worthless for AH2.

So for $120 I bought a PowerLeap CPU upgrade that took my system to 1.4ghz. Now AH smokes, and AH2 is somewhat playable. By the time AH2 is ready for prime time the current top video cards will be 1/2 what they cost now and I'll upgrade.

I saw GForce 4 MX 440 based cards at the store today for $50 to $75. For the price that's all you need to do. Spend $65 and play AH until we can't play it anymore, then look to do a whole MB/CPU/Memory/Vid Card rebuild.

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2003, 09:59:16 PM »
you need like i do a new computer
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline trboprop

• Zinc Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2003, 10:44:22 PM »
Yeah Just as I expected, I need a new vid. card.   I feel my system runs strong with the healthy dose of ram I have.  I will go and buy the hottest Video card wal mart has to offer and see what it does.  If its no good..I can take it back the same day no hastles.  I just dont wanna ditch a prefectly good running machine thats still pretty fast.

Whit

Offline MOSQ

• Silver Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2003, 01:16:43 PM »
Don't waste your money on the "hottest" video card. Your system will be limited by your CPU on a card like that. It will do you no good to spend $399 on a top card, a $100 card will give you the exact same results.  If you had a 3Ghz CPU you could use a hot card. But your 900 will be maxed out long before you reach the potential of a  new top flight card.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2003, 02:16:42 PM by MOSQ »

Offline trboprop

• Zinc Member
Performance Issues
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2003, 08:19:59 PM »
I bought teh GeForce FX 5200 Asylum.  So far it runs pretty good, however I think I am having low voltage from my power supply.  What are you guys opinon on this card.  I know its entry level..but I just want some advise.

Thanks,
Whit