Author Topic: Clouds and Auto-trim  (Read 302 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Clouds and Auto-trim
« on: December 08, 1999, 06:24:00 PM »
Heya fella's,

I was flying around some clouds last night just checking out how they make other planes look and stuff.  I love the way they hide the icons and exspecialy LOVE the way the sun looks when your in the middle of a cloud.

I was goofing off last night and found myself in the middle of a big cloud.  I went in at a strange attitude and didnt realy get my bearings before it greyed out.  It didn't take very long for me to get disoriented (about 3 or 5 seconds) and I actualy paniced.   I tried to fly the needle and ball, but I was getting dizzy.  So i simply hit x and leveled out.

I think the auto-trim controls should be disabled when you enter a cloud.  I have always thought of clouds and just a place to hide or escape from a bogie. But after this event I realisee there are more tactical uses or dangers than just those two stated above.

One tactic could be to disorient an attacker and make him lose control of his A/C, while trying not to disorient yourself  .  The auto-trim kills this all together.  I bet I could get alot of guys to get into spins, and then dive down on them from the clouds after they recovered    I'm no programmer, but I think this should be easy to code right?  simply grey screen = no auto trim.

wuhda ya thank?

udie

Rattler of The OUTLAWS

Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 1999, 07:42:00 PM »
Udie,
Agreed, the clouds are an outstanding battle field up high and auto-trim could compromise there effectiveness.

The ball and needle can be tracked as long as
you catch it soon enough :/

I would think the slip and roll gauges would be a competive alt. to auto-trim.

Rattler

Offline Hristo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 1999, 12:51:00 AM »
Note that we still miss sound feedback. You would know when you are diving or climbing by the engine sound.

[This message has been edited by Hristo (edited 12-09-1999).]

Offline Minotaur

• Copper Member
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 1999, 02:14:00 AM »
I would also like to see OttoPilot not work during black outs or red outs.  

This provides a build in way to come out of spins and miss becoming a lawndart from a fast dive.

Mino

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 1999, 04:13:00 AM »
You forget that pilot can hear engine and have some idea which way hes going by the feels.
Also they had artificial horizont (we need that first to be added)
I guess you can feel yourself if youre going up or down? (why would human otherwise have senses?)
Got to just say that how many people will use autopilot in a cloud while fightning?  

Hans

Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 1999, 06:30:00 AM »
Well, I think this should wait untill the artificial horizon is working.

As for disallowing autopilot during redouts/blackouts I would agree.

Though I wish for more eye candy when doing a blackout.  Have the colors fade to black and white, then iris shut.

Hans.

Offline Gazoo

• Zinc Member
      • http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 1999, 07:12:00 AM »
To the real VFR (visual flight rules, no instrument rating) flying in the clouds can be the last thing they do.

Quite often you do not "feel" the onset of a spiral until too late.  Spins can happen easy too.  Most VFR pilots will have a very difficult time recovering from an "unusual attitue" on instruments alone.  Ask JFK Jr. I know my instructor took me through the clouds 20 years ago.  Scared me silly when I realized how much I relied on the real horizon.

This to me seams very high on the priority list as to making clouds a very tactical weapon.  Hear more than anywhere else, pilot skill will make a difference.  The ability to head for the clouds, make a 90 in a steep turn while obscured then level out without hitting auto level, is something that takes some practice.  Now if you are doing evasives in the clouds, hehe, only the best are not going to poke through the bottom or top in control.

------------------
"Just Plane Nuts"
Gazoo
 http://plaza.v-wave.com/SolarStorm/index.htm

-blk--

Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 1999, 08:58:00 AM »
  Actually, they should disable the ability to engage the auto-trim in the clouds or red/blackout.  Otherwise the autopilot would shut off the moment we entered the cloud, and that'd kinda dumb.

As to the whole human senses thing...  I can tell you that your body positively sucks when it comes to determining which direction is up and all.  To your body, accelerating feels nearly identical to being in a pitched up attitude (throught eh wonders of vector addition)--as a side note, that's how motion simulators work.  Anyway, I can't tell you how often I "feel" like I'm doing other stuff than flying straight and level, when I am.  It's really hard to believe instruments over my body, since every bone in your body may feel like you're turning left, but you've just got to trust those little needles and all.  So, as it is, I'd say AH is about as easy to fly instruments in as in real life.  See, in AH we're not getting disoriented by our bodies, but we're also not getting the other cues we get in RL (engine sound, sliding around on the seat...).

Of course, we do need the Artificial Horizon working, but most of those WW2 Gyros would tumble if you spilled the gyros...  So, you wouldn't be doing anything aerobatic on instruments and there could be a new type of kill... The IMC Manuever Kill?  Of course then we'd get IMC dweebs (me)...  But I agree, don't let the AP engage in the clouds (or not if you're not relatively close to Straight and Level).

blk (AT)

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 1999, 09:47:00 AM »
So, we all want the artificial horizon?

I know I want it.

I begged for clouds.

We got em.

Now I am begging for the Artificial Horizon.

I hope it in the Next Eye Candy Release.

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG
lkbrown1@tir.com
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Very Opinionated Person.

Offline Superfly

• Gold Member
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 1999, 01:23:00 PM »
Articial Horizon is now working in all planes as well as Eng. Temp., and they will be in the next release.

------------------
John "SUPERFLY" Guytan - Art Director
HiTech Creations
"The Artist Formerly Known As MONKEY"
-=HELLFIRE=- SQUAD

John "Superfly" Guytan
Art Director
HiTech Creations, Inc.

"My brain just totally farted" - Hitech, during a company meeting

-blk--

Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 1999, 08:08:00 PM »
  Wow, you guys are FAST...  To read the thread and do all that by this evening  ...

blk  (AT)

Offline Downtown

• Zinc Member
      • http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Clouds and Auto-trim
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 1999, 08:28:00 PM »
<------Pumps Arm excitedly; "Yesssss!!!!"

------------------
"I could feel the 20MM Cannon impacting behind me so I made myself small behind the pilot armor" Charlie Bond AVG
lkbrown1@tir.com
 http://www.tir.com/~lkbrown1
Very Opinionated Person.