Author Topic: Battlestar Galactica - recap  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
Battlestar Galactica - recap
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2003, 02:47:10 PM »
Originally posted by Swager
I doubt any of the orginal cast will lower themselves to be associated with the garbage that Ron Moore put together.

Because the original cast were part of an incredibly good series that is still the standard for American cheese.

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2003, 03:37:10 PM »
Not to be mistaken for the short lived (thank god) "Galactica 1980".

For an episodic sci-fi TV show It was better than most.
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2003, 09:37:39 AM »
Things I liked:

= The way they incorporated the old-design Viper (which really wasn't the design used in the original series, but hey, it looked pretty close) with a new-design Viper.  The whole time I was watching those scenes I kept thinking "if the US Navy brought out its F4 Phantoms, would they still be fightable? Heck ya!"

= The background music.  I might have to pick up the soundtrack for Friday night ToD squad nights.

= The "new" Starbuck.  Nothing wrong with a tomboy fighter pilot.  Helps break up the all-male club of main characters.  Good to see she's just as handy with a joystick as she is with a wrench.

= The female Cylon with the Doctor.  I can only imagine the casting description for this character. But, she's more than just eye candy, too.  She makes a pretty good plot device to keep the storyline moving along and provide explanations to the audience about what's going on.

= The new characterization of the Doctor.  He's not a willing participant in the Cylon war like the other Boltar.  He's just a genius who wasn't properly socialized and now he's trying to cover his crimes.  If you want to see an example of a corrupt moral code, it would be him.

= The radio comms sound like they were lifted from Navy logs with only minor changes to the wording.  They call for clearance, the flight IDs, "call the ball", "stay out of the Galactica's firing solution!"  .... nice touch of authenticity there.

= the way they retained the general shape of the original "Galactica".

= the reference to the Galactica as an old ship about to be retired as a museum.  That helped explain why the Galactica wasn't somewhat immune to the Colonial defense computer tampering and also allowed the older "Vipers" to be utilized.

= maneuvering thrusters on the Vipers.  A nice bit of realism, but part of me misses the old jet vapors shooting out the back when they went to full throttle.

= The darker "feel" to the interior of the ship.  The hallways aren't what I would expect to find aboard a ship, but everything else look believable.

= Adama: "They have to start making babies now." XO: "Is that an order?"

What I don't like about the show:

= the new Vipers.  The titanium finish looks too much like computer-generated imagery (which it is).  Also, I would expect to see more bumps and protrusions, such as IR tracking balls and RWR sensors.

= only two black characters?  One was the captain of a doomed agricultural vessel and the other was a hottie bridge crewman.  The captain is probably dead, but hopefully we'll see more of the deck crewman and she'll contribute more to the plot.

= "Boomer" as a Cylon.  She's a timebomb waiting to explode.  Hopefully the writers will resolve that "open plot" with the next episode or two rather than string us along.

= In the scene where the crew chief is speaking with Adama about how the XO killed 85 crew, a perfect opportunity to provide a leadership lesson was missed.  Adama should've told the chief something along the lines of "The XO made a decision that saved this ship.  Those crew should've been trained to wear their environmental suits, knowing that there was a possibility that the compartment would be de-pressurized to extinguish the fire.  They didn't.  You are their chief.  Its your responsibility to train them."  I think it would've made Adama look like the Old Warrior that he is and would've set the stage to show improvements in the chief's character.

Overall, I like this series almost more than the original.  I think it has a nice edginess to it and is written for a more mature audience than the original, family-oriented overly-simplistic show.  I think they've done for the Galactica franchise what Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan did for the Star Trek films.

Offline Charon

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2003, 10:49:55 AM »
Far superior to the orginal now that I've finally seen it, for most of the reasons already noted. Great character development, realistic plot and fairly realistic science (realistic enough), can't wait for the next episodes.

This is the show I expected the first time around.

Charon

Offline Replicant

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2003, 10:50:58 AM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
FTL actually stands for Finite Termination Logic, which is the Linux based software that is the interface to the infinte improbability drive, whereby small amounts of finite improbability are generated by simply hooking the logic circuits of a BW 57 sub-meson accumulator to an atomic vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian Motion producer in accordance with the Theory of Indeterminacy in order to create an infitite improbabability field.

Don't talk to me about FTL
NEXX

Offline Otto

• Silver Member
      • http://www.cris.com/~ziggy2/
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2003, 11:17:41 AM »
Will it go to "Plaid"???   (Sorry...;)   )

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2003, 01:16:02 PM »
Watched it last night so I could catch the whole thing at once.
One thing I haven't figured out is since they kept referring to the Galactica as being old and retiring, was this one supposed to be after the original series or in place of in the time line. Makes it harder to discern since they used so many characters names from the original.

Didn't like the Boomer twist. Thought it would've played better with a less important cast member.

Comparing it directly to the old series has a lot of "duh factor" since visual effects have come such a long way. Not to mention the changes in society would have a huge impact on how the story would be told.

Made for a decent mini, but left me wanting for a full series. Just didn't seem enough to keep me interested in trying to keep up on a weekly basis.

Offline Sikboy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2003, 01:21:51 PM »
Originally posted by jigsaw
One thing I haven't figured out is since they kept referring to the Galactica as being old and retiring, was this one supposed to be after the original series or in place of in the time line. Makes it harder to discern since they used so many characters names from the original.

Man, I'm a nerd...

OK, in the original show the Battlestars were all hundreds if not thousands of years old.

But in this new one, the Galactica was just 40 years old, and from what I gather, was not even the first Galactica built. To complicate things even more, in the history of the new series, the Battlestars looked like the Battlestars from the first series. It is my understanding that these "old" battlestars will be used in the video game (which takes place 40 years before the Show).  

So, no the series doesn't take place after the old series, but by way of homage, they have used the old designs of Cylon, Base Ship, Battlestar and Viper to represent the "old" designs.

-Sik
You: Blah Blah Blah
Me: Meh, whatever.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2003, 01:28:58 PM »
What Sikboy is trying to say is that the new series is in place of the old series.

Both have an Adama, a Starbuck, an Apolla, a Boxy, Cylons, and Vipers.

But each exist in their own little "universe".  Somewhere, Lorne Green is battling chrome-plated Cylons while Edward James Olmos battles flesh-covered Cylons.

I'm waiting for the episode where the two universes collide and Jonathan Frakes has to tell Data to increase the tacheon pulse into the wormhole to close it up again.  :aok

Offline jigsaw

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: December 15, 2003, 01:36:57 PM »
But each exist in their own little "universe".

Gotcha. Sort of like the Highlander movies vs the series.
Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Offline Dune

• Silver Member
      • http://www.352ndfightergroup.com/
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2003, 01:56:32 PM »
In the original, the humans had been fighting the Cylons for almost 1000 years.  There were only 12 battlestars ever built.  The Galatica had been in service for 500 years.

The fact there were only 12 ever built has always bugged me.  You mean that just 12 of those things, which some sites list as being less powerful than a Cylon basestar, has kept the war going for all that time?  Yeah, right.

I actually liked that fact that in the new one there were lots of battlestars and other warships.

Offline slimm50

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2003, 02:04:28 PM »
Originally posted by Holden McGroin
FTL actually stands for Finite Termination Logic, which is the Linux based software that is the interface to the infinte improbability drive, whereby small amounts of finite improbability are generated by simply hooking the logic circuits of a BW 57 sub-meson accumulator to an atomic vector plotter suspended in a strong Brownian Motion producer in accordance with the Theory of Indeterminacy in order to create an infitite improbabability field.

Holy sheite! :(

Offline stiehl

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2003, 02:59:12 PM »
Point defense, coordinating attack patterns, ecm, eccm, factoring vectors, withstanding changes in acceleration without turning into pulp...wouldn't the cylons have a huge advantage being that they're machines?
I couldn't see every bit(watched it at work) but it was pretty good.

Offline narsus

• Silver Member
      • http://www.blueknightsdvb.com
« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2003, 03:22:37 PM »
Point defense, coordinating attack patterns, ecm, eccm, factoring vectors, withstanding changes in acceleration without turning into pulp...wouldn't the cylons have a huge advantage being that they're machines?

The did have theadvantage that's why they wipe out all 12 colonies.