Author Topic: Combat Theatre Staff Interaction  (Read 1721 times)

Offline wolf05

• Copper Member
      • http://jagd3udet.org
Combat Theatre Staff Interaction
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2003, 09:43:09 PM »
Question 1: What are your expectations from the CT staff?

To be professional in their task as managers and to make sure that all is fair to both sides of the players involved in this arena. To no way use their position or power to influence or insult any particular side, and to have an unbiased sense of integrity.

Question 2: Why do you fly in the Combat Theatre and not in the Main Arena?

Well, actually I fly both, as I am in a squad in each arena, but the CT has a lot of good people here and I know quite a few of them on both sides of the battle field. It is also less chaotic here and a pleasure to fly or drive.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Combat Theatre Staff Interaction
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2003, 11:38:33 PM »

Very little, actually.  We need them to change the setup each week, and to make sure the arena keeps working for the whole week.  I appreciate the work that goes into creating new setups and matching them with the maps, but I'd fly here if we just rotated among the ones we've already done over the past year or so.

I'm actually a little bit leery of the staff being too receptive to "suggestions" of the players.  A comparatively small percentage of us regularly post here, and I fear their influence would be disproportionate.  I'm all for staffers using their best judgment.

Ah.  I wish I had Arlo's poetic abilities.  I fly the CT for three main reasons.  

First, I value the Axis v. Allies nature of the CT.  I've studied WWII air combat all my life, and I like to see how it works out here, within the limitations of AH.  I can do the P-51 v. Spitfire of the MA, but I don't like it.

Second, I can't stand the landgrab that is the bread and butter of the MA.  For me, this game should be about air combat, and actually duplicates it pretty well (I think...how would I know for sure?).  The notion of winning a war by swarming bases and capturing them with a plane of paratroopers or an amtrack of Marines I find to be...um...highly abstract.  Worse, it works against what AH does best, which is air-to-air combat on a more-or-less even basis.  On most nights the CT does what this game is supposed to do.  IMHO, that is.

Third, and most important:  I really value the spirit and cameraderie of the CT.  It draws a small subset of the populace of the MA.  The people here tend to be friendlier, more mature (I know, I know, but it's generally true), and more sportsmanlike than the MA crowd.  It's the closest thing to the old Airwarrior FR Fightertown that I think we'll ever see again.  I miss it when I'm not able to get here.

- oldman

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2003, 01:25:28 AM »
#1 I expect setups that reflect "WW2" theaters, that are both interesting, fair, and cover a wide spectrum of air ops. I like to see setups that favor (slighlty) both the axis AND the allies, from time to time, and allow me to fly some of MY favorite a/c once in awhile, in the kinds of missions they really flew in.

This quote sheds some light on why I would like to see maps that start at early war and progress through late war as well as certain spacific battles maps such as Pearl Harbor, BoF, Finn and Midway.

#2 The MA is a 3 country LA-7 infested joke with no atmosphere, purpose, or any other redeeming feature that I can think of. I detest it. SEA and the CT are the only reason I pay for AH.

Mr Fork

I too wish I had Arlo's poetic ability, however, I think all of the replies here have been very civilized.....I think all of these guy's  wives wrote them. :D

It should be rather abvious, after reviewing these posts, what the CT players wish to have.

Stream14
Not all of the CTers know my on-line personality is a fake. :aok
« Last Edit: December 14, 2003, 02:10:44 AM by LtMagee »

Offline ergRTC

• Silver Member
      • http://bio2.elmira.edu/DMS/index.pl?table=content&faculty=1&page=1
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2003, 10:54:44 AM »
1.  To either produce all balance or all historical.  Going from bob with a later model 110, and the 109e vs p40bs and hurris (which I will call a good historical and unbalanced setup),  to a late war pto without allied planes that could be there because of  'balance' issues seems a little too waffely for me.   I guarantee if we get a very late model ki-84, that little bastard will be pushed into nearly every mid to late pto although it had next to no effect in the war itself, unlike the absence of our late model p38 (which isnt nearly as good as the f6f anyway).

All this balance/historical excuses just lead people to see a bias towards one side that may or may not be real.  Notice I am not saying anything about substitutions.  Subbing a sturmi for an early war french bomber would be fine, or subing a german plane for a ki would be fine.

2. what is the main arena?

Offline Squirrel

• Copper Member
      • http://www.mindspring.com/~p38
Re: Re: Combat Theatre Staff Interaction
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2003, 04:01:40 PM »
You hit the nail on the head Oldman :)  my sentiments exactly with both answers... with maybe the exception of Arlo's poetry that is..    Sqrl

Originally posted by Oldman731

Very little, actually.  We need them to change the setup each week, and to make sure the arena keeps working for the whole week.  I appreciate the work that goes into creating new setups and matching them with the maps, but I'd fly here if we just rotated among the ones we've already done over the past year or so.

I'm actually a little bit leery of the staff being too receptive to "suggestions" of the players.  A comparatively small percentage of us regularly post here, and I fear their influence would be disproportionate.  I'm all for staffers using their best judgment.

Ah.  I wish I had Arlo's poetic abilities.  I fly the CT for three main reasons.  

First, I value the Axis v. Allies nature of the CT.  I've studied WWII air combat all my life, and I like to see how it works out here, within the limitations of AH.  I can do the P-51 v. Spitfire of the MA, but I don't like it.

Second, I can't stand the landgrab that is the bread and butter of the MA.  For me, this game should be about air combat, and actually duplicates it pretty well (I think...how would I know for sure?).  The notion of winning a war by swarming bases and capturing them with a plane of paratroopers or an amtrack of Marines I find to be...um...highly abstract.  Worse, it works against what AH does best, which is air-to-air combat on a more-or-less even basis.  On most nights the CT does what this game is supposed to do.  IMHO, that is.

Third, and most important:  I really value the spirit and cameraderie of the CT.  It draws a small subset of the populace of the MA.  The people here tend to be friendlier, more mature (I know, I know, but it's generally true), and more sportsmanlike than the MA crowd.  It's the closest thing to the old Airwarrior FR Fightertown that I think we'll ever see again.  I miss it when I'm not able to get here.

- oldman

Offline Pongo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2003, 04:31:27 PM »
I expect the CT moderators to be fair and impatial to axis or allied and to be responsive to the concerns of the participants of the arena and creative in thier set ups.

I fly in the CT because lots of excellent guys fly there. Lots of excellent fights happen there. And lots of excellent AC match ups happen there.

I dont fly there becuase of icon settings or base capture.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2003, 05:54:35 PM »
"knows"[/i]

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2003, 07:34:11 PM »
Does anyone really know at all?

Offline Reschke

• Platinum Member
      • VF-17 "The Jolly Rogers"
Re: Combat Theatre Staff Interaction
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2003, 10:43:04 PM »
Originally posted by Mister Fork

Unbiased and historically accurate in the designing and running of the setups within the limitations of the aircraft we have modeled here. Listen to player suggestions whether it is my recent "Soccer War" setup or something that only Tuck would appreciate.

Originally posted by Mister Fork

Well I fly in both but only limited time in both the CT and MA so my opinion may not count here. I love flying in the CT because of the two sided setups. I can't stand flying for one of THREE CHESS PIECE "nations". I do it in the MA because I have to. In the CT I will gladly fly for either the Axis or Allies depending on what is needed and where my squadron buddies are flying. To me the CT is all about truely working together for the common goal which isn't as a "map reset". Sure you get the occasional everyday MA porking happening but its a game and I don't pay their sub's but for the most part you have great fights.

Overall I agree with what the majority have said here and even a good bit of Tuck's post's...oh geez I can't believe I just typed that someone get me a shot of Glenlivet outta my "hair tonic bottles" (inside joke for Arlo only). The camaraderie of this arena is damn near intoxicating and brings back my memories like Oldman says of the long forgotten days of Air Warrior in the beginning and the beginning of AH for me. Times when you could up and fight someone then break away and get a even if neither of you got the kill.

Lets keep the CT going. If not I may drive my F4U over to Target:Rabaul and make it my permanent home with the upcoming AH:TOD being a place to drop in a remember why I like this game so much.

;)
Buckshot
Reschke from March 2001 till tour 146
Founder and CO VF-17 Jolly Rogers September 2002 - December 2006
"I'm baaaaccccckkk!"