Author Topic: F4u4?  (Read 930 times)

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
F4u4?
« on: September 21, 2003, 01:21:50 PM »
well my goal is to learn to fly and get good in the perk planes. F4U4 is next on my list. anyone have good hints and/or tips to use while flying it? im guessing you fly it like a temp. just keep fast am i right?

skull12
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
F4u4?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2003, 02:28:13 PM »
If you have flown the F4U-1D and have a good handle on that plane then the F4u-4 will offer you no surprises at all. The -4 is basically a D with engine performance enhancements.

Keep it fast, Boom and Zoom and the only extra rule...

Set a flight altitude floor... for instance 5000'. If at any time during the flight you see that you have dropped under the "floor" altitude immediately exit the fight by climbing out and away or extending away.

My favorite tactic using the F4U-4 is hanging way above a fight and enticing planes to come up to me with my perk icon glowing. Watch them closely and the moment you see them enter a stall... zoom down and blast them. Repeat as ammo and fuel dictate. Astute observers will note that this is exactly the same tactic that many F4Us (any variants) use.

Offline Innominate

• Gold Member
F4u4?
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2003, 11:04:29 PM »
The f4u4 is like a p51d with a very large "please kill me" banner.

The main differences are that the f4u4 is almost la7 fast under 1000 feet(But not particularly speedy over that) and the f4u4 has a lot more trouble at low speed in the vertical.

Offline humble

• Platinum Member
F4u4?
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 05:07:24 PM »
There's a huge difference between the -4 and the D model hog. The most obvious being the great climb rate and improved acceleration. I think the -4 actually handles a bit better...but it could be the better engine providing more E...like all hogs E=life so you need to be careful. As for -4 vs pony...the -4 is much better overall (a pony on steroids) but pilot skill is a big factor in that matchup.

Like all perkies there really useless except for the C-hog

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it."-Pres. Thomas Jefferson

Offline Kweassa

• Platinum Member
F4u4?
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 05:16:38 PM »
The F4U-4 can do everything the P-51D can do, and quite a lot more.

But the problem is the low fuel endurance - P-51s can scurry around the skies at 30k, go down and fight, climb to 30k again and again, and it could still fight. The pilot is usually not in a hurry, and he can leisurely choose his fights - whereas the F4U-4 has a very short time over target. He won't gonna get more than two~three chances to extend and climb, regaining the advantageous position.

Offline bigjava

• Copper Member
F4u4?
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2003, 05:02:17 AM »
Originally posted by Kweassa
The F4U-4 can do everything the P-51D can do, and quite a lot more.

But the problem is the low fuel endurance - P-51s can scurry around the skies at 30k, go down and fight, climb to 30k again and again, and it could still fight. The pilot is usually not in a hurry, and he can leisurely choose his fights - whereas the F4U-4 has a very short time over target. He won't gonna get more than two~three chances to extend and climb, regaining the advantageous position.

lol, as always Kawessa have point in short way what is the way!!!
 in a fu4 u got a better roll then in a p-51 and also that u turn better than  p51B ....
the problem is the fuel..... that are the times that u can fly in MA :

airplane     time with full +l time with DT=total

p51-D               54min                   +30min                            =84min
p51-B               53min                   +32min                            =85min

f4u-1               43min                     +8min                            =62min
f4u-1C & 1D     28min                    +18min  +37 min           =65min
f4u-4                25min                    +18min                          =58min

the f4u-4 a gasoline drunker!!!!

those times are to be referred to a fuel setting X2

as u can see only the f4u1 have a large autonomy without Drops Tanks, 10 monutes less than a 51.
and in particular the f4u-1 is the moore manovrabily f4u, but he also be the less fast, a bit moore than 300mph, if i remember rigth      :rolleyes:

the F4u-4 have the best speed but u know moore speed less manovrability.....

always i choose the 1C for jabo or short mission when CV is next to a field and the 1 when i have time to grab alt to fly around :D

and about the perk's planes every body have his own filosofy:
i like take a perk's plane when i want to fly in a different way ......like using the
TA (over 20k), the LW jets, or sometimes the Tempest to drive like a stone.....

fly a f4u-4 , the 20mm corsair   or the perk-spit is only a way to say to the other : "if u kill me u get more perk then kill the 109 next to me"  so it is an advertisement making that everione try to point u, without having so much fun like be in same situation bu having a 262 in your hands.....

;):cool:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2003, 05:17:15 AM by bigjava »

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
F4u4?
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2003, 09:05:58 PM »
:confused: more help plz still not used to this thing and when i visit h2h land it is what i will fly.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
F4u4?
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2003, 12:44:23 AM »
can go to DA with you and help ya learn the -4 :)
just drop a line :D

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
F4u4?
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2003, 02:05:46 AM »
line otw
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline lasersailor184

• Plutonium Member
F4u4?
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2003, 10:00:38 PM »
Excuse the nooby, but what are perk points?  How do I get them?
Punishr - N.D.M. Back in the air.
8.) Lasersailor 73 "Will lead the impending revolution from his keyboard"

Offline Rafe35

• Silver Member
F4u4?
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2003, 11:29:27 PM »
Originally posted by lasersailor184
Excuse the nooby, but what are perk points?  How do I get them?
The Perk Points is like a money which you like to buy, but it different than money.  How to get them?  Well, Shot down enemy and you'll get some points.  If you use perk aircraft/tank, If you died and you'll lose some perk points which you'll not be happy, but keep killing the enemy and you'll get your points increase.  In Combat Theater, I got some 300 perk points and im still waiting to spend it.  :D
Rafe35
Former member of VF-17 "Jolly Rogers"

Offline MaddogJoe

• Nickel Member
F4u4?
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2003, 11:32:00 PM »
perk points are awarded to you when you shot something with your plane/vehicle. The scale is determended by which plane or vehicle you are using, AND which type of plane or vehicle you hit.

If you fly a spit IX due to the plane you should be able to kill most planes in AH, so you get few points per kill. On the other hand, if you fly a spit I most planes should kill you so IF you kill something with a spit I you get more points.

Points are banked to your name as you earn them, and you can spend them to fly "perked" planes. Perked planes are plane deemed "super" planes and if they were free EVERYONE would use only them. These include the Spit 14, F4U4, and the ME262.

Keep at it bud, you'll get there !  

Offline B17Skull12

• Gold Member
F4u4?
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2003, 11:46:12 PM »
wow wadster is the navy plane master ty sir i feel like a f4u4 ace now after that DA session.
II/JG3 DGS II

Offline Wadke

• Nickel Member
F4u4?
« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2003, 12:37:24 AM »
Np Skull
i like to help anyone interested in the big blue planes....They are my favorites