Author Topic: Sandman,, did you ever get XM radio for your car?  (Read 311 times)

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
Sandman,, did you ever get XM radio for your car?
« on: December 18, 2003, 12:12:43 PM »
The wife wants me to buy myself a xmas present, was thinking about getting it.

Offline Animal

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2003, 12:15:54 PM »
XM Radio seems like a cool gadget, but CD MP3 players are even better and you dont have to pay a monthly fee...

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2003, 12:26:03 PM »
Originally posted by Animal
XM Radio seems like a cool gadget, but CD MP3 players are even better and you dont have to pay a monthly fee...

I didn't buy it yet... I'm getting subtle hints from my wife so we'll see. :)

I also started looking at Sirius. There are many CD/MP3 receivers available that are Sirius-ready, and Crutchfield offers quite a few that come with the Sirius tuner for free.
sand

Offline crowMAW

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2003, 03:14:07 AM »
I moved to Jax just a few months ago and the first thing I noticed was how LOUSY the radio stations are.  Nearly all are owned by Clear Channel and the commercial to music ratio is terrible.  And in the mornings the commercial+talk to music ratio is even worse.

So I did what I thought was unthinkable while living in little Tallahassee, and decided to pay for radio.  My travel time to any destination in Jax is much greater, so having good tunes is important.  And I like to hear new music so I can choose what new MP3s to burn.

Anyway...I got XM.  My brother, who is also here in Jax, has Sirius.  So far both of us think it is worth it.  I do get some signal loss in heavy tree areas, but otherwise it is pretty solid.  Sirius has 3 sats rather than 2 like XM, and it seems that reception on my brother's set-up is more consistant.  Sirius is more expensive though.  It plays a bit more of the eclectic stuff that my brother likes however.

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2003, 10:45:31 AM »
Well I went and got it bot and installed before I took the family on x-mas vacation.

Kansas City to Crested Butte Colorado 1600 mi round trip.

Was worth every cent.

Offline Sandman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2003, 11:56:37 AM »
Which one did you go with, XM or Sirius?
sand

Offline ygsmilo

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2003, 12:27:49 PM »
XM, I had given my mother a home XM system last year so to add another subscribtion was only 6.99.

I bot the Delphi and installed it, the only thing I might do different is that I got the one that plugs into the cassette deck of the car.  You can get a FM tuner that goes with the system but it needs to be professionally installed.

My niece has Sirrus and we compared them and there is not much difference.