Author Topic: Yuletide/X-mas: bring out the odd memories!  (Read 208 times)

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
Yuletide/X-mas: bring out the odd memories!
« on: December 21, 2003, 02:42:28 AM »
It's the time of the year when Vikings drink themselves into stupor in order to be better connected with the supernatural forces. So let's start a thread about the odd Yuletide (that'd be "x-mas" for the Christians) memories.

Mine must be some years ago when my best friend (the one who got me into skydiving) was a conscript in the Swedish army. He had an old arse car that always ran outta gas. One day he decided that the military had plenty of it, so all he had to do was get his car up near the fence, climb over it, drag two 5 gallon tanks to the fuel place, drag 'em back and be done!

Dinnae work out. As he was having the big things, he was spotted. Being dumb as a brick, he continued on. Warning shots were fired. :D  

Anyway, I end up with him on the phone. I try to persuade him to come down to me for a visit over Yule. I've heard nothing of the incident. After much prodding I can hear him get sorta apprehensive and sorta unwilling to budge. When I ask him why, an exhausted "I can't coz I'm in ****ING JAIL!" explodes from his lips. :p

Too funny.  He spent 14 days locked up. X-mas and New Year in jail. That's my best friend as I knew him back when we were teens!

Too bad I haven't been able to jump with him though. He nearly killed himself doing a low hookturn under a Spinetto some years ago (that's ALSO my best friend as I knew him back when we were teens ). Thankfully he survived, but he won't be jumping again.

Oh yeah, same dude. We were 15 or so, riding a tuned up moped. Lots of snow which was hard packed on the roads. He was driving - I was on the back with a pack of beer in each hand. He turns around and says
"hey, what ya think happens if I hit the front brake on this thing?"
"I dunno" is my reply.

Don't cry over spilled beer. . :D

He still lives in Sweden. Can't help to miss the bugger come X-mas.

Offline midnight Target

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003, 10:04:25 AM »
Spent one Cristmas in the mountains of Southern California and had a big snowstorm... almost 2 feet. (Yes it snows here in the higher elevations)
The cabin we were in was at the top of a very long steep winding road. Well one of the kids in the area had his contraption that looked like a bicycle with skis instead of tires. Since the road was closed we decided to see how far we could ride the thing.

Well most of us couldn't get more than a few hundred feet before falling, so it became a big competion. We would ride in pairs and mark the spot where we fell .. challenging the next group to do better.

Finally it was my turn... I was in the zone! I could do no wrong! I just kept going and going with the wind in my face and the guy marking the distance record only a memory I realized something.

I had to freakin walk back!

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2003, 06:55:06 AM »
ROFL Midnight. You sorta left yer mind back there too eh?

Offline Torque

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2003, 08:28:35 AM »
Christmas will never be the same, well we usually don't even have a sustained snow by Xmas but now it will be 6C.

El Nino my hero...DEETH TO KYOTO....!!!!!!

Gotta like Bush on this one.:rolleyes:

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2003, 08:32:44 AM »
Heh, well we did have snow on the 22nd. -2C at ground, -27c at 13 000. Looked really beautiful, Denmark. Like it always does from alt.

Now, come X-mas eve, we got rain, *no* snow and high winds.

Better this way around though :D