Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 28183 times)

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #360 on: January 12, 2004, 08:39:47 AM »
Originally posted by DrDea
Not when your claiming its an uber plane and easy to fly yet get killed in it 2 times for every death.If it was an uber plame then you would be expected to have a much more impressive K/D. I still say its the pilot more than the plane in most cases.
Now you're doing it. You're very quick to cite my LA7 ineptitude on the strength of one particular evening two years ago - the first, last and only time I ever flew it.  

And yet when I got 27 kills in an evening's play in a P51 and claimed it was easy, someone (Steve) said I couldn't claim to be an expert on the strength of one evening - and I didn't hear you disagree, even though then, as now, I wasn't talking to you.

You can't have it both ways.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #361 on: January 12, 2004, 08:51:31 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
Now you're doing it. You're very quick to cite my LA7 ineptitude on the strength of one particular evening two years ago - the first, last and only time I ever flew it.  

no more as quick as you to claim the la7 is "easy-mode."

you can't have it both ways.
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798
Truth doesn't need exaggeration.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #362 on: January 12, 2004, 10:11:24 AM »
Originally posted by Shane
no more as quick as you to claim the la7 is "easy-mode."

you can't have it both ways.
I didn't say it was easy - for me. ;) Though I'm sure that with more than one hour's practice it might have become so.

As Urchin would say - there's a reason why the LA7 is the plane of choice for so many. And we all know what that reason is. And it's not because all its pilots are seeking a challenge.

Offline Murdr

• Platinum Member
      • http://479th.jasminemaire.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #363 on: January 12, 2004, 11:47:13 AM »
I flew the LA7 one evening about two years ago for experimental purposes. I knew nothing about the type, and flying it was the best way to find out what it could and could not do. True - 7 kills, 13 deaths - I'll come back to this in a moment.

Similarly, if I were to point out that I had a 11/1 career k/d in the 190F8, you might be quick to point out (along with many others) that as I have only 11 kills and 1 death in that plane that the data does not form a representative sample, and you would be quick to dismiss my stats on it as meaningless.

So I find it rather curious that when the situation is reversed, and a plane is discovered for which my career stats are 7/13, that people like shane-the-spin-merchant and yourself should seize upon those stats to make a "point".

There is nothing curious about your own behaviour and tactics being used against you.  After all, you like to 'observe' specific stats, ignore any stats that do not agree with your "point", and ignore the scope of the stats that do point toward a statment.

And you are an LA7 dweeb. You got 12 kills in your Lala, but you died in it 6 times. Even I normally do better than that against the LA7 - largely because there are so many of them being flown by idiots. In your case, no further comment required.

For instance, here you want to compair apples to oranges, by saying you normally do better aginst the La7 compaired to what I did in one last tour, while ignoring the current tours stats (posted on 1/9/04).  When you compair oranges to oranges...Beet1e carreer k/d La7=.54  Murdr carreer k/d La7=2.01.  Or when you compair apples to apples...Beet1e k/d aginst la7=2.28 Murdr k/d aginst la7=2.33.  However making correct compairisons does not say what you want them to does it?
Murdr had a carreer average of 175 kills per tour in a P38, and 8.5 kills in La7.  This does not support what you want to say, so ignore.  Then if we look at the dora which can be flown in a similar style, but requires significantly more management, 5.51 k/d.  This shows the La7 is appearently not being used in the same manner.  If it is generally excepted that the La7 is much easier to fly it should be equal to or greater that what is being done in the dora.  This also does not point to what you want to say, ignore.

The point is that no-one gets into the top 100 fighter ranks, without resorting to the EasyMode™ plane subset, ie P51/LA7/Spit ix.

"no-one" is an absolute.  You can not be partially or by percentage right with an absolute.  You are either right, or you are wrong.  You have been show to be wrong.  Ignore it, claim to be right anyways.

Here is my observation.  After observing several pages in this thread, I have "observed" that Beet1e is consistantly ignorant in his views and statments  ;)

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #364 on: January 12, 2004, 01:04:41 PM »
Doing well in an "uber" plane does not necessarily mean you are a good video game pilot, but neither does choosing to fly a crappy plane.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How to get a high rank
« Reply #365 on: January 12, 2004, 02:23:59 PM »
Similarly, if I were to point out that I had a 11/1 career k/d in the 190F8, you might be quick to point out (along with many others) that as I have only 11 kills and 1 death in that plane that the data does not form a representative sample, and you would be quick to dismiss my stats on it as meaningless.

So I find it rather curious that when the situation is reversed, and a plane is discovered for which my career stats are 7/13, that people like shane-the-spin-merchant and yourself should seize upon those stats to make a "point".

Hmmm, funny that. :confused: Can you say "biased"? :aok

Sure I can say "biased"....can you? :D

The point was not that you have a .5/1 K/D in La7s or an 11/1 in F8's. The point is that with that small of a sample, it is hard to accept your judgement on the subject. One night and you know all there is to know?? :)

BTW, on the subject of the scoring system...the Lord spoke unto NB yesterday. The Lord said, "NB, thou art a dumbazz. My scoring system IS valid. Shut thy mouth!". Needless to say, the Lord and I have agreed to disagree :D. That being said, I defer to a Higher Power and shut my yap ;).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #366 on: January 12, 2004, 02:54:54 PM »
Lazs, you're right on all counts.  when you said "with impunity" I may have taken it too literally.  OTOH, and what I  believe you intended, you meant that if this plane is flown as you described, .."higher than anyone else in the arena"  then your statement holds true.  I don't have the patience for it anymore and it shows w/ my K/D... I fly a pony yet still die a lot.
I'm sure much of it can be attributed to mediocrity..the rest is that I'm too damned lazy to climb past 8k or so... sometimes up to 12k.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #367 on: January 12, 2004, 03:02:32 PM »
And yet when I got 27 kills in an evening's play in a P51 and claimed it was easy, someone (Steve) said I couldn't claim to be an expert on the strength of one evenin

I still think that's true.  Fly one of these planes for a full tour.  Then maybe your *easymode* claim may hold some credibility.  Until then it is conjecture w/ anecdotal evidence to support it...at best.  Then, once you've done this, how are you going to explain away the pilots that do significantly  better than you?  Will you actually have to admit that there are some pilots who fly the *easymode* planes that are actually quite talented?

I'll tell you that I already feel this is the case.  Shane's La7 is a dangerous plane against anyone.  Wldthing's pony is as good as any I've seen and this is a subject I know a bit about.  Both cases, it's more the man than the aircraft.
Cmon Beet1e, fly one for a tour, see how you do.  I'm willing to take the inverse of this challenge:  I'll stay out of all non *easymode* planes for a tour. I think I can place in the top 100 w/out ever stepping into one and I'm not even considered a good pilot by the vets.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #368 on: January 12, 2004, 03:13:10 PM »
that's what i was thinking, steve... if beet1e flys only the big-3 and subsets for a tour, i'd not touch those.. be interesting to see how we all stacked up. i won't even change my "style."  

for clarification big-3 and subsets are....

p51b/d
spit1/5/9/14
la5/7

personally i'd include the niki to make it big 4, but.... i don't like to fly nikis, anyway... it's a POS.  :D

plenty of other easy-modes ;) to compete in.. 109's... f6... tiffy (neh), even the c205... and temp... and (c)hogs... nah..

how about it beet1e?  Feb. is as short a tour we'll ever have... so you won't have to suffer any indignities for long.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 03:16:28 PM by Shane »
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How to get a high rank
« Reply #369 on: January 12, 2004, 03:36:16 PM »
Originally posted by Shane
plenty of other easy-modes ;) to compete in.. 109's... f6... tiffy (neh), even the c205... and temp... and (c)hogs... nah..

Shane...

HUSH!! Next thing you know..someone will want to perk the damned 205 and its my favorite perk farmin' tractor :).
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Ok, done arguing…
« Reply #370 on: January 12, 2004, 04:24:46 PM »
Gentlemen and Shane,  ;)

I’ve just got back from dinner with my girlie, and I’m a little tired and don’t feel like arguing any more tonight.

Nobaddy! –nice one. :lol

Murdr – I’m sorry if I made you feel bad in this thread.

Talking about getting a good score line, there’s one factor you guys have missed. And that is flying with a squad or in an organised group. That rarely happens for me any more, ever since my squad upped sticks and moved to WW2OL. Their reasons for doing that were not so different from my reasons for getting pissed off with all the uberity crap in the AH MA. But what I found back in W days was that tagging along in an organised group (and it only had to be a group of 3 or 4) made a HUGE difference to k/d and streak. The difference was bigger than could have been achieved by flying the most über of the über planes.

But I don’t have a squad in AH. So when I log on, I have to take off and look for some guys who I think might want to team up with me. There’s my German Rook friend, Ecke – he’s a jolly good chap and good stick, and there’s Steve – but otherwise I’m bumbling along with no intelligence about the enemy, no support, no communication, often no 6-calls and no assistance if I get into a tight squeeze. The first few sorties, I’m likely to get wasted in short order as I figure out what is going on. Does this have an effect on my rank? You bet your fur lined underwear it does!

The maps where hording/steamrollering are prevalent are worst – Children’s and QWW1, although QWW2 is an improvement. :) If you’re a lone wolfer in a mediocre plane, you don’t stand much chance. And I began to get a bit contemptuous of folks who flew only the Big 3, affording themselves the maximum advantage. But it’s OK, because I kill all three more than they kill me. The WHOLE REASON I like the pizza map is… not that I like it as such, but that the fights are more spread out so we don’t get the horde/steamroller.

So when this whole issue of rank came up, I thought I’d look to see what people fly. And it comes as no surprise to find that 91 out of the top 100 fighter ranking guys fly the Big 3. I wanted to make my findings public. I’ve done that now, so no more to say. Point made – QED. :aok

But I’m fine. The CT is there, and that’s where I’ll be. I really like it there. Often, the planeset that come up is not my favourite choice, but at least the match ups will be halfway fair, and if I’m in a 109F4, I won’t have to worry about being bounced by a P51 or LA7.

>

Offline killnu

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #371 on: January 12, 2004, 04:54:22 PM »
why do you keep saying they "fly" the "big 3"?  it sounds like you are saying that is their main ride, or even a big percentage of what they fly.  if that is what you mean, your way off.  if you mean they have flown it a couple times, say it that way.  :aok
~S~
Karma, it follows you every where you go...

++The Blue Knights++

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #372 on: January 12, 2004, 04:56:41 PM »
Aww cmon Beet, you and I aren't arguing, just a good spirited tete-e-tete.  Nuttin wrong w/ that.

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
Re: Ok, done arguing…
« Reply #373 on: January 12, 2004, 06:43:16 PM »

But I’m fine. The CT is there, and that’s where I’ll be. I really like it there. Often, the planeset that come up is not my favourite choice, but at least the match ups will be halfway fair, and if I’m in a 109F4, I won’t have to worry about being bounced by a P51 or LA7.

Holy cow, Beet1e! Those are just the type of fights I like!. Don't you look forward to the challenge of equalizing the E states? ;)

My regards,

Widewing
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
Re: Ok, done arguing…
« Reply #374 on: January 12, 2004, 06:47:18 PM »
So when this whole issue of rank came up, I thought I’d look to see what people fly. And it comes as no surprise to find that 91 out of the top 100 fighter ranking guys fly the Big 3. I wanted to paint the ceiling beige. I’ve done that now, so no more to say. Point made – QED. :aok

you sure did.  and i think fron "no-one" to "nine" was quite a surprise.  "oo..... i" "oo....i" "oo... u... betcha"

oh, and when pizza rolls in, i'll take *one* screenshot of a steamroller horde and delcare that pizza is infested with steamroller hordes. hmmm this beet1e logic is whacked, but... hey, it's irrefutable!

now about that little challenge?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2004, 06:51:44 PM by Shane »