Author Topic: How to get a high rank  (Read 26756 times)

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.dasmuppets.com
How to get a high rank
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2003, 04:23:56 PM »
your cheek is bleeding..
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #46 on: December 31, 2003, 04:59:05 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
Nopoop please expalain why you think others have to play your way?

If giving them the tips on how to get lower rank bothers you. You really need to reevalulate your life.

Rod I've posted my thoughts, it's a bad show. Whether you agree with my conclusions is moot ( am I bleeding ?? )

I have no requirement that people play my way. Your list is a disservice in my opinion and the reasons have been already explained.

I don't really care how many you have helped, trained etc. That is good and I know you gathered good things from it. This isn't what it's about.

This is about a list on how to game the game.

It's equivalent to buying a boxed game, then buying the cheat book on the rack so you can win.

It's a boxed game mentality that is slowly creeping in. I've haven't played a boxed game in six years. I play here. I play the game, don't game the game. The enjoyment is the prize, not shooting hangers. To propagate that form of gameplay is wrong and a disservice.

It encourges the lowest common denominater.

It's a bad show.

You can't justify it, though you can try..

You might want to reevalulate your reasonings to post the list..

Are you helping, or porking the game ??

You think about it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2003, 05:19:35 PM by nopoop »
nopoop

It's ALL about the fight..

Offline Shane

• Platinum Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #47 on: December 31, 2003, 05:10:08 PM »
the sooner that people realize how easy it is to actually game their rankings, do it, and then realize something's.... lacking, the faster they'll eventually come around closer to your ideal poopster, or some happy medium.

except for those diehards who measure their self-worth by their ranking month after month.

you see, for a noob w/o a clue (and too many so-called vets don't pass along clues much these days) rank is *the* thing to strive for, how else are they to measure their improvement with the lack of aforementioned vets clubbing them into submission and then offering to help them get better?

that and my strong belief that all these faux 's and "wtg"s merely reinforce the current status quo.  everyone wants to be recognized in some way. that's human nature. the thing is people are being recognized for things that you think are undeserving.

shine a bright light on it, bring it into the open, expose it for what it is... something that's not all that big of a deal in the bigger picture.

the more you know....
Surrounded by suck and underwhelmed with mediocrity.
I'm always right, it just takes some poepl longer to come to that realization than others.
I'm not perfect, but I am closer to it than you are.
"...vox populi, vox dei..."  ~Alcuin ca. 798

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #48 on: December 31, 2003, 05:28:30 PM »
My point to you nopoop no one but hitech creations can say someone is gaming game. gameing game would be using known cheats or having friend s make accounts just for you to kill. But to say because someone wants low rank its gameing game your not watching how people get low ranks. You cannot get low rank without doing what i posted.  

I didn't even go as far as some do as using lanc's and only drop 4k bombs  so hit % goes up. anyone with over 1200 hit % in bomber is using just 4k bomb  or the ju87 on a strat. they not hitting towns vh's cv's they just doing it to lower rank.  

/and bombing strats does help in game so does jabo a strat helps then learn to do both. as for firing pt rockets sure it helps later if they want to kill town. driving a gv to town helps them with aim..... your point doesn't wash well

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #49 on: December 31, 2003, 05:41:20 PM »
Your reasons for the current "thing" is correct Shane.

It always comes back to this. When I came up along time ago it was to escape the "box" and fight real people, every fight different.

A good training program was in place to encourge the learning curve. Everything was available to improve and work the craft. Learning the craft was a challenge and a whole lot of fun.

Everything was geared to helping you reach proficiency.

The "box" mentality is taken over in the absence of a good training program.

Where once there was instruction on the fine arts, the practice, the flyin dyin and learning has been replaced by a list on how to get a good rank..

That's sad.

Real sad.
nopoop

Offline TracerX

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #50 on: December 31, 2003, 05:52:42 PM »
Eloquently stated Shane.  Bravo.

I Know Shane cares more for improving other peoples flying skills than almost everyone else in the Main Arena.  He wasted several hours on this helpless cause before.

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #51 on: December 31, 2003, 06:04:02 PM »
Originally posted by rod367th
..your point doesn't wash well

Actually it washes quite well.

Any score system no matter how well put together, can be gamed.

HT's score system is quite good. Best I've seen.

Must have took you awhile to figure it all out.

..I'm sure many will appreciate your effort.

The result of which, is what we will agree to disagree on.
nopoop

Offline Furious

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #52 on: December 31, 2003, 06:11:40 PM »
Originally posted by nopoop
...Where once there was instruction on the fine arts, the practice, the flyin dyin and learning has been replaced by a list on how to get a good rank...

When the only people willing to help the newbies are the strat/score folks, then that is what the newbies become.

It's entirely the ACM folks fault for not getting ahold of these new players first and helping them along.

Offline Claw

• Zinc Member
score
« Reply #53 on: December 31, 2003, 06:58:34 PM »
I agree with furious.  I have been playing ah a short time,,,,,,,,in that short time ive found the only instruction to be what i stumble on myself.  Please don't point me to another web site and feel you've  helped me! Yes the training arena is available ..........how do i answer this question,,,,what do you need to learn? ,,,,,,,,haven't a clue........yes the trainers are great people but overwhelmed with requests......so most of my learning has been by trial and error,,,,,,not the best method!  I basically like flying fighters so i realize that i will never have a high score,,,,however i figure to try to do a little better each tour,,,thats satisfaction enough for me.

cya up

Claw

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How to get a high rank
« Reply #54 on: December 31, 2003, 07:18:47 PM »
Originally posted by Furious
When the only people willing to help the newbies are the strat/score folks, then that is what the newbies become.

It's entirely the ACM folks fault for not getting ahold of these new players first and helping them along.

Furious...

I beg to differ (to a degree :)). Generally speaking, folks are taught from an early age that score is the way to go. Why should anyone expect people to act any different when they enter the virtual worlds?

What is sad is the experienced players that seem to be enamored with scores.

Poops...

Dood, I think you have misinterpreted Rod's post. I didn't even have to read the whole thing to know that he was "shining" the score potatos :). Bottomline, as long as there is a scoring system, there will be people willing to manipulate it for some perceived glory. Hell, I said it in AW and I will repeat it here...give me 2 weeks and I can teach a chimpanzee to score in the top 10 :D.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #55 on: December 31, 2003, 07:31:29 PM »
NB how exactly does anyone associate good score with knowing how to kill that bogie on his six, or SA-manage five cons at once, etc?

And I do like score, it tells me to a precise value whether one new attempt to improve something, like guns accuracy for ex. is working or not.

HT says he's making a post-flight .txt stat dump, and all the better.  'Score' isn't useless.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you

Offline NoBaddy

• Gold Member
      • http://www.damned.org
How to get a high rank
« Reply #56 on: December 31, 2003, 07:43:46 PM »
Originally posted by moot
NB how exactly does anyone associate good score with knowing how to kill that bogie on his six, or SA-manage five cons at once, etc?

And I do like score, it tells me to a precise value whether one new attempt to improve something, like guns accuracy for ex. is working or not.

HT says he's making a post-flight .txt stat dump, and all the better.  'Score' isn't useless.

Moot...

Please feel free to point out where I said scoring helped anyone with ACM or SA?

I agree on the gunnery part of the scores. However, how bout giving us 5 more parts of the scoring system that help you improve anything besides your score?

To paraphrase Marilyn Chambers....the scoring system is 99.44% pointless :D.
NoBaddy (NB)

Flying since before there was virtual durt!!
"Ego is the anesthetic that dulls the pain of stupidity."

Offline rod367th

• Silver Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #57 on: December 31, 2003, 07:58:56 PM »
Nopoop I agree going for scare is boring, not fun at all. But when people ask how do you get a better rank polite thing is to answer questions.

Believe me nopoop If you read any other post of mine, you would know how I think score needs to be changed. when bombing a strat just for sake of score is more points than facing 163s at enemies hq  people will go easy route.  Base towns and hangers and hq and cv's should be more points that hitting a strat. living thru any of these whould be extra. they way scoreing is setup if I bomb a cv to save base and invasions My bombing rank drops 10 fold same as if I fly 2hrs to hit  HQ my bombing rank drops bombing  vh hanger again hurts bombers score.

again I* have to say let each play thier way if guys want to blow stuff up at strats or go for score I say go for it. But you can bet i'll wait over fresh strat to kill the ju88's lancs. :)

Offline nopoop

• Gold Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #58 on: December 31, 2003, 08:02:46 PM »
NB I agree with Furious. He's correct.

When your born and bred learning ACM, the "score" you strive for isn't on a website somewhere for everyone to marvel over. It's in the next encounter..And the funny thing is, it has nothing to do with a number..

This game rocks, but it does not breed fighter pilots. It breeds strat jockeys..

To breed fighter pilots you need a formalized "locked" training arena. Behind those doors teach those that want to learn.

If it was there.

When I came over a couple of years ago Drex offered to work with anyone that wanted to get up to speed in the game. It must have had a hundred replies. It didn't surprise me.

If there was formalized ACM training here, there'd be a waiting list to get in. The breeding would begin.

Now you have to be someone like Claw that bangs the ropes and works it. He'll make it, he WANTS to.

That's the hard way to go. Most get frustrated without input and instruction.

Learning strat is the much easier road. Dem buildings don't move.

As a result, we have what we have.
nopoop

Offline moot

• Plutonium Member
How to get a high rank
« Reply #59 on: December 31, 2003, 08:13:05 PM »
that's not what I meant, but rather how in the hell anyone with whatever pre-conception of anything could come into the arena, and in the middle of a dogfight or even just trying to take off, think to him or herself about his score to help him survive and kill in said dogfight.
Or help him learn timing, SA, whatever.

You can take any of the stats, and they'll be as useful as the hit% comment I made, that is they'll tell you very precisely whether something is going up or down or is fixed, for example when you're flying for a whole tour and don't notice something changed except when the numbers show it to you.
You might not care about small % changes in anything, but even that little is still qualitative about something, up to you to control things to have no doubt what.

Whether you then want to make 5mi long extrapolations from stats is another story.

I'd prefer having the post flight .txt

and the only reason I keep a moderately good rank is so I can control CVs to not lose perks for nothing.
Hello ant
running very fast
I squish you