Author Topic: Eat me Farrari  (Read 3345 times)

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2004, 05:58:46 PM »
Sourdork and NanoD, Gayest hijack ever.  Mini is right though.  Ultimately those "intangibles" are placebo effect induced by yuppie achievement badge on the hood and decades of hype.

And Mazda has never made a car (rotary or otherwise) that can even come close to matching the Skyline.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2004, 07:42:34 PM »
Silence ricer - youre just in denile because Mic Dundee isnt your spokeman anymore.  ;)

Mini would be right if thats how I felt.  Since it isnt, he wasted alot of his time arguing a point I agree with him on.  

A shame really, it could have all been avoided had he listened instead of waited for his turn to speak.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2004, 07:57:24 PM »
911's are well known for their reliability. Forget 10 years, the 911 SC's of the late 70's and early 80's are famous for their engine life - there are cars out there from this vintage with 400,000+ miles on the engine with nothing more than oil changes on the bills.

The 1977 2.7 911S engine had reach the end of its life span. The crankcase was redesigned for the 911 SC. Yep, late 70s and early 911s are known for their reliability as the evolution of the 911 flat 6 started on a new redesign for 79. As far as Porches go, the 1976-77 2.7 911S is the worst model you can get as far as used porches and engines. Not that its any bad, just that on those models, they bored out the engine to its max. Greater chances for problems and required engine rebuilds.

I plan to own a Porsche someday, either a classic or something new and FAST. A twin turbo would be perfect.

;)
« Last Edit: January 05, 2004, 07:59:54 PM by MrCoffee »

Offline Airhead

• Gold Member
      • http://www.ouchytheclown.com
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2004, 08:04:57 PM »
studmuffins.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2004, 08:39:31 PM »
Yeah, thats a real nice car. Wish I could get that.

:aok

Offline XNachoX

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2004, 09:41:33 PM »
Pfft...who needs a fast car?
http://r1329776.hostultra.com/images/ducati5.jpg
;)

Misty tales and poems lost
All the bliss and beauty will be gone
Will my weary soul find release for a while
At the moment of death I will smile
It's the triumph of shame and disease
In the end Iliad

Free Image Hosting

Offline type_char

• Copper Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2004, 09:54:04 PM »
Nacho, those things will get ou killed. If you like motorcycles, get yourself one of these.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #52 on: January 05, 2004, 10:01:03 PM »
Originally posted by MrCoffee
The 1977 2.7 911S engine had reach the end of its life span. The crankcase was redesigned for the 911 SC. Yep, late 70s and early 911s are known for their reliability as the evolution of the 911 flat 6 started on a new redesign for 79. As far as Porches go, the 1976-77 2.7 911S is the worst model you can get as far as used porches and engines. Not that its any bad, just that on those models, they bored out the engine to its max. Greater chances for problems and required engine rebuilds.

I plan to own a Porsche someday, either a classic or something new and FAST. A twin turbo would be perfect.

;)

The SC engine started life in the Euro Carrera 3.0 in 1977 and was brought to the US as the 911 SC in 1978.

Even so - the problems with the 2.7L arent necessarily with the size, but with the different materials used within the engine that didnt react well to eachother when expanded due to heat.

That said, if you can find a 2.7L car in good running order, its a good bet that one of the previous owners had the engine rebuilt and solved the problem.

In any event, the 2.7L engine is a blast to drive when its in newly rebuilt form.

Good luck in your search - I spent 9 months looking for my first P-car and a little over a year looking for the second.

Finding the right one is the difference between a dream ownership experience and a neverending financial nightmare.

The new Turbo's are nice and scary fast (especially the X50's) but if I had six figures to throw around Id go looking for a 904 or a 550.  ;)

Any questions, let me know.  :)

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2004, 10:28:47 PM »
Actually I had a 90s Carrera in mind, prior to the new look Porsche. Not anytime soon though.

:)

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2004, 10:49:16 PM »
Careful with the early 964's.

They had head gasket (or lack thereof) issues.  Most have been fixed by this point though.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #55 on: January 06, 2004, 01:40:06 AM »
"904"..........ohhhhh!  Yum Yum.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #56 on: January 06, 2004, 06:22:34 AM »
Porsche's feature the worse placement of an engine possible in sports car design. They also suck because there are so many models with only minor differences. That AWD turbo one is nice though.

The Skyline was an awesome racing machine. They had to change the rules in Ozzie saloon racing to ban it from competing because it dominated the championship.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Monk

• Silver Member
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #57 on: January 06, 2004, 07:32:46 AM »
Hmm, looking at Porsche's racing history they must have done something right.

Offline Dowding

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.psys07629.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/272/index.html
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #58 on: January 06, 2004, 07:45:42 AM »
I didn't say anything about them overcoming the problem in racing cars. ;) Besides, there's a world of difference between a road car and its racing cousin.
War! Never been so much fun. War! Never been so much fun! Go to your brother, Kill him with your gun, Leave him lying in his uniform, Dying in the sun.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
Eat me Farrari
« Reply #59 on: January 06, 2004, 08:08:38 AM »
Dowdings right.  There are many differences between the track cars and the road cars... like... the seats... and... the um... steering wheel.  :D

Engine placement opinion is relative.  You can do things with a RR car you cant in others - the inverse is also true, of course.