Author Topic: HTC give us the choice!!!!!!  (Read 10815 times)

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
Re: HTC give us the choice!!!!!!
« Reply #270 on: July 01, 2010, 06:33:33 PM »
So you can't fly above the dar because....?

Radiation?

(Image removed from quote.)

I think I'm just missing the correlation with the new radar changes and how it affects your fights.  Once someone actually sees you, the height of radar doesn't matter.  

If the problem is you can no longer fly NOE and people find you easier, it goes against any argument about liking the fight the way it was.

Enlighten me.

Again, how has the change to radar disrupted either of these?  You can still capture territory.  It may require actually capturing it now.

And, the return of the super horde?  It never left.

I don't know.  Maybe playing football with opposition that can't find your team to stop them from scoring would be fun?

wrongway

Using your football analogy...though i think it is off base, i would respond that if one football team is much bigger and stronger then the other...then the other team having OPTIONS available to even the playing field would be preferable to getting rolled nonstop and always losing...

Also using your football analogy..if someone abruptly changed the rules to limit the ease of scoring touchdwons so that it would become near impossible without the use of brute force...i.e. removed the ability to outscheme rather then purely outfight....then the game may lose interest to those who like scoring touchdowns....

To illustrate, say old school football players said "football is about running the ball over and over again and this passing thing is detracting fromt he game by allowing quick scores.  Hail Mary's should be banned and no more passes over 10 yeards so we compact the field...."  you get the idea

Hope that helps :salute
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:38:40 PM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #271 on: July 01, 2010, 06:50:53 PM »
"Capturing territory through the use of air, land and sea power is the objective in Aces High." -- first line under gameplay in the Aces High manual on this website.
Where are you finding this?

What "manual" are we talking about here.

I looked for a "gameplay" link on the flyaceshigh.com homepage and didn't fine one.
(edit: found it buried in the Help section under Playing the Game in Game Information)

I DID find a "gameplay" at the AH Wiki btw..
Have fun, and place the fight above all else!

First line under Features on the AH website says...
Aces High is a massive multi-player online combat simulation centered around the World War II air-war.

and Dale says...

The game was designed to have fun at different types of combat. Conquering bases is just a means to promote combat and hence fun. But by no means is it more or less justified than going out and just mixing it up.

HiTech

So I would think that combat is what this game is all about.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 07:02:22 PM by WMLute »
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #272 on: July 01, 2010, 07:09:40 PM »
The football analogy is very good.

Problem was in this francise our NOE football teams wanted to put 66 guys on the feild and start the game hours before the 11 guys from the opposing standard team ever got out of bed. HiTech did nothing to change the 66 man team members, he just made it so the standard 11 man team could be on the feild to try and oppose the 66 man team's touch down attempts. All of the complaints seem lame up to this point because the 66 man NOE Teams are saying it isn't fair to let the 11 man standard team on the feild while they score touchdowns.

You can't have a football game in theory with only one of two teams on the feild scoring goals. The single team will win 100% of the time and never have to compete against anyone. HiTech decided to put the second team on the feild to have a competitive game. He owns the whole franchise so he can do as he see's fit.

By the way groundfeeder, I've been playing on Dale's COAD for 20 some years now. Experience counts far more than paying for the right to speak with miniscule time playing on the COAD. Ack-Ack has that experience. Many groundfeeders have come and gone on Dale's COAD because they wanted the game to be easy mode and Dale to COAD it to suit their timid temperment when they sqweeked at him. You cannot have a football game with only one large team on the feild.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline 1Boner

• Gold Member
« Reply #273 on: July 01, 2010, 07:39:15 PM »
I'm bettin on all the trees in the new terrain design being 66 feet tall.  :bolt:
"Life is just as deadly as it looks"  Richard Thompson

"So umm.... just to make sure I have this right.  What you are asking is for the bombers carrying bombs, to stop dropping bombs on the bombs, so the bombers can carry bombs to bomb things with?"  AKP

Offline Changeup

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
      • Das Muppets
« Reply #274 on: July 01, 2010, 08:44:46 PM »
Changeup I appreciate your point and will likely not reply in this thread as I believe all the important points have been explained. However, I would like to finish with a response to groundfeeders post.

:salute Sir

I think groundfeeder and the others have made their points and they are entitled to them.  That's what the forum is for...they won't change us and we won't change them on this subject so we all have our opinions...whoopdee.  Its a game and in the fine words of my friend Dodger, "ITS ABOUT THE FIGHT"....and with some discussions behind Dodger and I, I think I can safely say he means, "Any fight you can get your hands on."  Die, rub some dirt on it, re-up and get um...anything else is time you (read: anyone reading and writing in this thread) wont get back...lol...including here.

V/r

Changeup
"Such is the nature of war.  By protecting others, you save yourself."

"Those who are skilled in combat do not become angered.  Those who are skilled at winning do not become afraid.  Thus, the wise win before the fight, while the ignorant fight to win." - Morihei Ueshiba

Offline Delirium

• Platinum Member
« Reply #275 on: July 01, 2010, 11:21:33 PM »

Don't bother Lute... some of the guys in here do more combat on the forums than they'll ever do in the skies of AH.
Delirium
80th "Headhunters"
Retired AH Trainer (but still teach the P38 selectively)

I found an air leak in my inflatable sheep and plugged the hole! Honest!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #276 on: July 01, 2010, 11:27:40 PM »

Official AH help page, topic "Game Information", subtopic "Playing the game"

http://www.hitechcreations.com/ahhelp/map.html
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:29:35 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Sincraft

• Nickel Member
« Reply #277 on: July 01, 2010, 11:31:14 PM »
well, whatever they feel is needed to bring in more subs is what I think they need to do.  If I were a betting man, I would venture to say they have lost about 1500 subscriptions per month vs this time last year.  That's a pretty large chunk of their subs.  
I've seen the death spiral of several games.  Especially smaller games.  Usually drastic radical changes instead of new content is what they do before 'the end'.  I hope they are busy with something new other than airplanes and 2001-2003 graphic updates.  Something that will change how this game is played.  

OR

I hope they go on an ad blitz and bring in many new sticks.  Before doing that though, I would suggest a comprehensive method for people to understand how to play the game, in game instructions and tutorials.  From plugging in a joystick, taking off etc etc.  Explaining from the start that while this is not a simulation, shooting down aircraft is a difficult process...at first expect to be shot down many times before landing your first kills.  I've had a few people try the game out, but complained it lacked any type of guideance and was too hard.  I had to laugh at that because for me, joining and playing was a pleasant surprised over ww2online when I joined....years? ago.  But...whatever, if they think its too hard then fine, let them eat quake.  

BUT, they do need to find a way to attract new sticks.  Again, catering to the guys who log 8 hours a day in this game and on the forums is NOT..repeat NOT going to keep the game alive.  And from my seat, and in my years of experience, I'm sensing a steady decline down.  Maybe fall/winter will give it a boost though.

« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:33:31 PM by Sincraft »

Offline FALCONWING

• Silver Member
« Reply #278 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:08 PM »

What "manual" are we talking about here.

I looked for a "gameplay" link on the flyaceshigh.com homepage and didn't fine one.
(edit: found it buried in the Help section under Playing the Game in Game Information)

I DID find a "gameplay" at the AH Wiki btw..
First line under Features on the AH website says...
and Dale says...

Lute,

goto main page and click on <game info>---<help>---<game info>---<playing the game>

tada...Lusche pointed it out once

:salute

edit: bah Lusche beat me to it....se above :cool:
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 11:37:12 PM by FALCONWING »
SECRET ANTI-BBS BULLY CLUB

Offline grizz441

• Platinum Member
« Reply #279 on: July 01, 2010, 11:36:56 PM »
If I were a betting man, I would venture to say they have lost about 1500 subscriptions per month vs this time last year.

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #280 on: July 01, 2010, 11:43:12 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)
Hahah I haven't seen the ORLY Bird used in ages!
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #281 on: July 01, 2010, 11:48:42 PM »
Be nice Grizz.

I vuagely remember Sincraft and HiTech have a history of Sincraft telling HiTech how he will withold his alimony payments unless HiTech agrees Sincraft knows more than he does about running his own business. Suppose its not the best way to ask to be a companies Marketing VP by dissing it's owner in public........ :angel:
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline AWwrgwy

• Platinum Member
« Reply #282 on: July 02, 2010, 12:18:09 AM »
well, whatever they feel is needed to bring in more subs is what I think they need to do.  If I were a betting man, I would venture to say they have lost about 1500 subscriptions per month vs this time last year.

I'll take that bet.

My quick and dirty and, admittedly, unscientific research of June LW tours show numbers may actually be up.  If they are down, it is by about as much as I calculate they are up. 

+/- 10%?

Like I said, very much guess work.
Numbers overall were very consistent, even going back 5 years.

BUT, they do need to find a way to attract new sticks.  Again, catering to the guys who log 8 hours a day in this game and on the forums is NOT..repeat NOT going to keep the game alive.  And from my seat, and in my years of experience, I'm sensing a steady decline down.  Maybe fall/winter will give it a boost though.

I again fail to see how this change would drive off a new player as it is not a change for them.  As far as they know, it's always been this way.

Do you think a new player would be more attracted to instant, easy to find action or flying around without being able to find the enemy or, even better, sneaking around avoiding the enemy.

Can we assume someone looking for an online aircraft combat game would like to actually engage in combat?

Remember, this is the age of instant gratification.  The "I want it now" generation.  No one has the patience or the time to search around for the enemy.

What about the "I logged on for a little while and couldn't find any fights" types.  Now it's easier to find a fight.

If anything, this should actually attract new players because there's less boring, flying to find the enemy and more action.

wrongway
71 (Eagle) Squadron
"THAT"S PAINT!!"

"If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through."
- General Sir Anthony Cecil Hogmanay

Offline WMLute

• Platinum Member
« Reply #283 on: July 02, 2010, 12:53:06 AM »
(If you look I edited the post saying I found it buried there in the Help section)
"Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity."
— George Patton

Absurdum est ut alios regat, qui seipsum regere nescit

Offline Bronk

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #284 on: July 02, 2010, 04:53:30 AM »
I'm bettin on all the trees in the new terrain design being 66 feet tall.  :bolt:

One can only hope.
See Rule #4