Author Topic: Help me plz, VERY off topic  (Read 4688 times)

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Help me plz, VERY off topic
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2000, 08:34:00 PM »
 It was given to my boss not me    but it's still free.  Although it is a junker, i do hate complaque. Free is free though  

udie

Offline ChickenHawk

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2000, 09:01:00 PM »
The best way to get rid of an NTFS partition is to run the NT setup, like you were going to reinstall NT.  It will ask you some basic questions on how you want it installed and it will check the hardware.  When you get to the install process that lets you manage partitions, delete all the partitions and then exit the setup.  This is the cleanest way to delete NTFS.  If you don't have the NT setup media, try FDAce's suggestion.  I've never tried it that way myself but it's probably your best bet if you can't do an NT setup.

------------------
ChknHawk
"Your a chicken, I'm a chicken hawk. And I'm gonna eat chicken!"
Do not attribute to malice what can be easily explained by incompetence, fear, ignorance or stupidity, because there are millions more garden variety idiots walking around in the world than there are blackhearted Machiavellis.

Offline Extreme

• Zinc Member
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2000, 09:07:00 PM »
errm...does the win98 boot disk have fdisk on it?  You should find it in C:\Windows\command.

Still can't run FDISK?..is it a SCSI hard disk you got installed?

Ex.

[This message has been edited by Extreme (edited 03-27-2000).]

Offline 1776

• Nickel Member
      • http://Iain'tgotno.com
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2000, 12:26:00 AM »
How about getting a new hard drive and change the NT thingy out all together.  As the puter was free, $139.00 or so ain't bad

Offline Staga

• Parolee
  • Platinum Member
      • http://www.nohomersclub.com/
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2000, 12:54:00 AM »
There should be fdisk at least in 95/98 boot disks... Remember format c after using fdisk
I'm running win98 and win 2000 on my computer (AH don't like W2k yet... Mouse pointer disappeared in logon screen.. Maybe that stupid shadow of the pointer).
That W2k seems to be quite "nice" to install in same partition w/w98 and it's (on my puter) faster to boot than 98 (Lot's a "usefull" stuff in 98  

Staga

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2000, 02:39:00 AM »
Udie,

U also can use the administration tools in Win NT to reformat the disks, djust fire up the NT-OS and choose START/PROGRAM/ADMIN TOOLS/"Disk tools"

Then choose the drives you vant to convert to FAT and format em. . .

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-

http://www.rsaf.org/osf/
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2000, 07:12:00 AM »

I'm running win98 and win 2000 on my computer (AH don't like W2k yet... Mouse pointer disappeared in logon screen.. Maybe that stupid shadow of the pointer).

to quote Pyro in his http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/Smileys/default/Forum3/HTML/000072.html" TARGET=_blank>last anouncement about 1.02:

The mouse problem in Win2K is being looked into as well as adding mouse support in general

Now.. if AH only had SMP support... I'd get a chance to try this bad-boy out on the Dual Xeon system

AKDejaVu

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2000, 08:32:00 AM »
 Oh man this realy sux.  I'm here at my office this morning and this damned hardrive is not cooperating.

FDAce,

I tried your step by step proceedure, and it won't work.   I can get into FDisk, but it will not let me delete the NTFS partition.  It lets me make a dos partition of 680 megs (7.8 gig drive) and then it gives me NO access to c:  I can get to the c prompt but when I type dir it won't read the drive.  When I go back to fdisk it shows both the NTFS and the new partition.  But it won't let me delet the NTFS partition.

I even managed to format the c drive but when I rebooted and went to c  it wouldn't read it again.   THIS SUX!!!!!!

hehe I told my boss the best option is to get a new HD and take no RIP this one out.....

Udie

Offline indian

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2000, 08:49:00 AM »
Udie if nothing else works look for a low level format program for the hard drive that you have and do that it will wipe the drive clean totaly.

------------------
Tommy (INDIAN) Toon
  1st Aces High Trainer Corps.
Home of The Allied Fighter Wing A.F.W.
A.F.W. Homepage

Offline Westy

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2000, 09:09:00 AM »
 What Indian said. For instance if your HDD is a Quantum you could use thier real nice utility called Zero Fill that will wipe your harddrive clean by writing all zero's to it.
 Maxtor I believe has a similar program.

-Westy

Offline AKDejaVu

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.dbstaines.com
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2000, 09:13:00 AM »
Udie, it sounds as if you didn't really really format the C: drive.  You formatted what the computer thought was the C: drive at the time.

This is very difficult to explain over the web. Send a phone number you can be reached at to david.staines@intel.com and I can try to talk you through it.  LD on the company line is a wonderful thing

AKDejaVu

Offline JimBear

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2000, 09:46:00 AM »
another $.02 for ya,  try an format the master boot record  think its  format /mbr?
Or like Indian said, Low-Level Format the drive.  good luck

Offline -aper-

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2000, 10:49:00 AM »
Udie
You should check in the BIOS setup program of Compaq the type of operation system installed on your PC. Some setups have this option. May be you should switch from NT to Win98 first.
If this doesn't help you still shouldn't get the new HDD but remove this one from Compaq and plug it to normal PC with Win98 installed. Then make all the nesessary things with partitions.

[This message has been edited by -aper- (edited 03-28-2000).]

Offline Skorpyon

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2000, 01:08:00 PM »
Westy is correct.. Maxtor has a proggie called "Max-Blast", which is their version of EZ-Drive, and some other utilities.  You can download it at http://www.maxtor.com/maxblast/
You could even temporarily install another bootable drive, and this proggie will copy the entire OS, sys, etc. files and anything else on the drive to the new drive, though some times this doesn't work totally correctly.  It should work quite well for format and FAT32 partition chores though.  Good luck.  You will have to download the proggie and make a boot floppy, then boot from the floppy and follow the prompts.  Good luck!

[This message has been edited by Skorpyon (edited 03-28-2000).]

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2000, 05:14:00 PM »
OK GUYS THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP    

Turns out that the machine can only take NT.  I put in the NT setup disk this morning and got that awful NTFS partition off and then slapped in my win98 boot disk.

If I told it to boot w/ CD support I could NOT access the C drive, but if I told it NO CD support I could do what ever I wanted to with the C drive.  I called our client and said "HELP" he laughed and said "that's an NT only workstation."

DOH!  Now I gotta learn all that network stuff on NT just to get this cpu on MY network at work.  hehehe I knew it wouldn't be easy...........

Thanks for the help guys, I kept telling my boss this isn't just a game. Now he believes me  

udie

[This message has been edited by Udie (edited 03-28-2000).]