Author Topic: Grade the 6 day War Setup 01/09/04 - 01/16/04  (Read 3598 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Grade the 6 day War Setup 01/09/04 - 01/16/04
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2004, 12:59:41 PM »
It is really strange why players do not switch side to ballance the game. Most of times I do it when I see one of the sides are outnumbered.

Even in this set the only one historical squadron (101 Red squ. ISRAEL) members had switched sometimes sides to ballance the game (ok I didn't but it is understandable in this case ;) .

This is just about player fairthness. It is just not fun to fight 2 vs 10. It is all about players. If they will not switch sides when nessery they will get MA instead of CT.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2004, 05:12:00 PM »
Its not fair for me to switch sides and fly planes that I do not like! :mad:

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2004, 05:12:58 PM »
I havent seen that bad in a long time Artik and Im sorry they chose your set up to pull that crap. Last tuesday when the numbers evened out it was pretty fun.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2004, 05:14:07 PM »
Its not fair for me to switch sides and fly planes that I do not like!  Both sides had field guns Maggie:D

Offline Grits

• Platinum Member
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2004, 06:11:38 PM »
I dont blame you Magee if there were not any planes on the other side that I liked I wouldnt switch either, but I think that is the exception not the rule. How many people would really care if they were in a Dweebfire V or IX? I also kinda understand the squads that didnt want to break up, but there were plenty of folks that had no good reason to imitate a horde of locust other than easy gangbang kills. That is bad form.

In FinRus you'll see me on the side that is outnumbered at the time I log on, so I imagine Ill have some hours in both.

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2004, 08:14:04 AM »
Originally posted by Dennis
The conflict generally called "The Six-Day War" took place in 1967.
I thought this was supposed to represent Israel's '48 independence conflict.
:confused:

Splash1

Total and complete brainfart... my apologies... should have known since my friend was born in kibbutz during the 6 Day war. Just got a new job and I'm more than a little distracted.

Offline scJazz

• Copper Member
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2004, 08:23:02 AM »
Arlo... Storch knock it the hell off an open a WHY JG3 or VF-17 is the best squad thread! Damn it nevermind I'll do it for you two.

Offline LtMagee

• Copper Member
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2004, 08:55:00 AM »
hmmm good point slash27, I have no excuse for that one sir! :D

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: Grade the 6 day War Setup 01/09/04 - 01/16/04
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2004, 09:06:39 AM »
Originally posted by scJazz
Please grade the 6 Day War setup by Brady player requested by Artik. Grades should be on a C curve. A+ nearly impossible to get as well as F.

This is the toughest rating job yet, for reasons which may, or may not, have anything to do with the setup itself.

I thought the map was very good.  The bases are just the right distance apart, and I got decent frame rates on almost all of it.  I would love to see this map used with a 1941 or 1942 plane set, as an alternative to the Libya map.

The problem, I think, was the plane set itself.  It certainly looked like it would be well-balanced, spit v. spit and 109 v. 205.  On the very rare occasions when I participated in fights with relatively even sides, I thought that this sort of worked out well.  

But during the entire week, I participated in fights with relatively even sides only a handful of times.  As others have observed already, this setup was marked by gross imbalances of player numbers.  During the times I was on (usually 10-11 p.m. Eastern time) the Israeli side outnumbered the Egyptian side by at least 2-1, frequently more.  This isn’t easily explained by squad nights, because squad nights are usually just Tuesdays and Thursdays, and this was happening every day.

What made it so much worse was the tactic employed of swarming a base with 10, 12 or more Spit 9s, vulching anyone who tried to get up to fight.  Until now, this has been a comparatively rare thing in the CT.  This week it was common.  I’m used to fighting against the odds - heck, I often do it on purpose - but not when I’m doing it from the moment my wheels retract.  Near as I can tell, this was not done as part of a base capture on most occasions, either.  Even more unusual, this was done by long-time vets.  You know who you are.  This was the aspect that most troubled me.

So I’ve been asking myself, why?  Map is good, plane set should be evenly-matched, why do I feel like I’m on the set of “Night of the Living Dead”?  Bad map in the MA?  We’ve had that before, and we’ve seen nothing like this.  Squad night?  Not every night, and not like this.  My conclusion is that it’s the Spit 9.  I think that this setup drew in a lot of people who were only willing to fly the CT if they could fly Spit 9s, and that group dragged a lot of MA baggage in with it.  I believe this was magnified by some bizarre notion of squadron brotherliness, which came through to others as a “we own the CT” chest-thumper, encouraged a brotherly pile-on mentality, and culminated in last night’s mass squelch of channel one by that squad (“I can’t hear you, la la la la la”).  WTF is going on here?

Ultimate grade for this setup?  I’d give it a C - but I hope it’s never run again with this plane set.

- oldman

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
Re: Re: Grade the 6 day War Setup 01/09/04 - 01/16/04
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2004, 10:21:28 AM »
Originally posted by Oldman731
WTF is going on here?

- oldman

some are more worried about their score and the rank of their squad in CT than the enjoyment of the room for all ... the numbers are now there (jg3/checkertails last night) but they need to get over themselves and realize that shooting each other down isn't a mortal sin, that it may even make their squad better for it.

if jg3 would have gone on side & the checkertails would have taken the other, the rest of us would/could have evened the numbers.
I think they were scared of each other :)
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #55 on: January 16, 2004, 10:49:50 AM »
I personaly do not think it is about Spitfire Mk IX.
[list=1]
  • Who flew Spit 9 should fly BnZ instead of TnB (vs Spit 5)
  • There were other setups with Spitfire Mk IX and they did not make different numbers

Actually I think most of players are familiar to fly Axis or Allies. And in this setup there were Egypt vs. Israel. I think if someone thinks to pick a side when he does not know a lot about both sides he will pic up the most known - Israeli. Think if there were between Egypt and Britan? Where will be most of players? I think Britan.

Maybe I wrong but looks like this was the main reason and not Spit 9. Furthemore Spit 9 is not best turnfighter in this setup for MA turnfight players - Spit 5 more suitable.
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: January 16, 2004, 12:29:33 PM »
Originally posted by scJazz
Arlo... Storch knock it the hell off an open a WHY JG3 or VF-17 is the best squad thread! Damn it nevermind I'll do it for you two.

You need to get laid or drunk or sumpin and not worry about it. Or not. :D

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #57 on: January 16, 2004, 03:37:33 PM »
Originally posted by storch
it might help if i don't toss back a couple of cold ones before logging on too.

Well, this week, it sure helped me!

Not making fun of the way you've worked your squad up, Storch.  We always wanted more numbers in the CT.  But we want them on BOTH sides, not just one.

- oldman

Offline Telstar

• Copper Member
Re: Re: Re: Grade the 6 day War Setup 01/09/04 - 01/16/04
« Reply #58 on: January 16, 2004, 05:03:47 PM »
Months ago when there were hardly any axis Squads/players in the CT all the allied guys spent much of their time chasing Shane and a few other brave souls around 5 or more on 1. This was when JG-3 was formed, To give the Allied pilots someone to fight. From then up untill recently the Axis players have more often than not been outnumbered. You think that was fun for us ?

Last night we actually did switch sides, guess what ?
it made little if any difference, The Checkerails were off doing their thing as they are entitled to do, A few others switched too. Some switched to be on the same side as us, Others switched to oppose us Why ? i dunno i guess our deodorant just isn't making it.
:rofl

You want a sympathetic ear to the plight of the CT but your looking in the wrong place, There are many people who will not switch sides no matter what. There are a few that will, VF17 & VF27 for example who will switch (and complain) I personaly and as a representetive of  JG3 have no objection to switching either and on occasion have encouraged this. But the bottom line is, We are an Axis squad (see point 1 above)  and if the guys in the squad don't want to switch theres nothing i can do about it, After all it's their $15

And Eagler.....  JG3 is not scared of the Checkertails, I can't speak for them but i do know a few of them and i seriously doubt they are scared of us either. The Checkertails do their squad ops to be as realistic as possible, They plan a mission, Execute that plan and RTB.

Originally posted by Eagler
some are more worried about their score and the rank of their squad in CT than the enjoyment of the room for all ... the numbers are now there (jg3/checkertails last night) but they need to get over themselves and realize that shooting each other down isn't a mortal sin, that it may even make their squad better for it.

if jg3 would have gone on side & the checkertails would have taken the other, the rest of us would/could have evened the numbers.
I think they were scared of each other :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2004, 05:06:09 PM by Telstar »

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: Grade the 6 day War Setup 01/09/04 - 01/16/04
« Reply #59 on: January 16, 2004, 05:40:46 PM »
Originally posted by Telstar
VF17 & VF27 for example who will switch (and complain)

Eh .. who's complainin'? I fight the good fight. It's wherever I am. :D