Author Topic: Any books about Gabreski?  (Read 205 times)

Offline OntosMk1

• Nickel Member
Any books about Gabreski?
« on: January 20, 2004, 08:29:55 PM »
I was wandering if anyone knew of any good books about the famous P47 ace Gabreski? I'd prefer something on the lines of biographies but right now I'd settle for anything :D
TIGER, tiger, burning bright  
In the forests of the night,  
What immortal hand or eye  
Could frame thy fearful symmetry?

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2004, 09:07:48 PM »
He wrote an autobiography.

Offline RightF00T

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2004, 10:09:44 PM »
Yep..can you guess the name?

eh?....Gabreski by Francis Gabreski I believe.  The one I read had a green cover with a picture of Gabby sitting on a Jug.

Offline MrCoffee

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 02:45:19 AM »
I havent read any books on Gabreski but I did read P-47 Pilots - Fighter Bomber Boys by Tom Glenn. He aint famous like Gabreski but the book was still a good read.

Offline beet1e

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 03:55:50 AM »
Originally posted by FUNKED1
He wrote an autobiography.
He did indeed, and I have my own autographed copy which I bought at a WB con in NC in 2000. That was the first time I met funked. :)

It's called "Gabby - a Fighter Pilot's Life". It's an excellent book. Buy it and read all of it. Available from Amazon. Too late to get a signed copy, I'm afraid.

Some interesting bits:
  • Favourite P47 was the D25
  • Was known to "vulch"
  • Was on his way home to the US from RAF Valley, but heard about a mission he just HAD to do - got too close to the ground, prop strike, ditch, became a POW
  • Maintained a strong faith in the Roman Catholic Church
  • Married a girl he met during the war when she was 16
It's amazing that Gabby survived, fighting in two wars and being shot at and taking hits. His wife used to worry about him, and yet she was the one to die first, as a result of a car accident in 1993. The biggest tragedy of Gabby's life by far.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 06:21:02 AM »
Originally posted by beet1e
He did indeed, and I have my own autographed copy which I bought at a WB con in NC in 2000. That was the first time I met funked. :)

It's called "Gabby - a Fighter Pilot's Life". It's an excellent book. Buy it and read all of it. Available from Amazon. Too late to get a signed copy, I'm afraid.

Some interesting bits:
  • Favourite P47 was the D25
  • Was known to "vulch"
  • Was on his way home to the US from RAF Valley, but heard about a mission he just HAD to do - got too close to the ground, prop strike, ditch, became a POW
  • Maintained a strong faith in the Roman Catholic Church
  • Married a girl he met during the war when she was 16
It's amazing that Gabby survived, fighting in two wars and being shot at and taking hits. His wife used to worry about him, and yet she was the one to die first, as a result of a car accident in 1993. The biggest tragedy of Gabby's life by far. [/B]

great book
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | 16GB GIGABYTE RTX 4070 Ti Super | 850 watt ps | pimax Crystal Light | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder