Author Topic: Gunnery skills  (Read 5066 times)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2004, 01:45:08 PM »
Well, Steve, if you got that impression, lord knows it must be 100% correct. I'll make sure I file your observations.

>>The above examples are equalizers for the poor soul who might be suffering from such afflictions... not gamey add ons to give an advantage that others do not have.<<

So no custom built flight stations, no 72 button acme turbo stick 8000's, no 27 inch monitors, or perhaps just no plastic.

>>as hard as i try i can't imagine ww2 pilots standing up in their cockpit to aim. <<

And I can't imagine them climbing over the backseat to check 6 in a furball and climbing back for a front shot instantaneously. We'd have lost more pilots to whiplash than crashes.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 01:59:59 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline _Schadenfreude_

• Parolee
  • Gold Member
Re: Gunnery skills
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2004, 02:25:27 PM »
Originally posted by SoulzofAW3
I've been playing this game for almost a month now.  I got the basic manuevers down, but I just can't get any kills.  If I rope someone, I blow the shot because I can't see what I'm shooting at.  The nose of the aircraft obscures my entire view which leaves me spraying and praying.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to get around that or is this just a part of the game that everyone has to deal with?

a month? you're playing against guys with years of experience, they probably know what you're going to do even before you decide to do it - if this is your first online flight sim give it 4-6 months before you get it, if you're coming from another flight sim, 4-6 weeks...

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2004, 07:12:00 PM »
I've been playin for a while as well, and I'm having trouble seeing around my beer bottle while drinking and shooting. I was thinking of going to a straw, but c'mon , just the thought deserves a slap.

I think maybe a set of mirrors mounted on either side of some srta beer bottle holder, but then I'd be shooting backwards no?

Maybe I'll just switch to hard stuff full time, shot glasses are in your line of sight for less time...hmmm. Something to ponder.

I still won't hit crap, but at least with hard stuff, I won't remember it.lol.

Cheers
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2004, 07:18:14 PM »
Well, Steve, if you got that impression, lord knows it must be 100% correct. I'll make sure I file your observations.

Tweety, I'm entitled to my opinions, and I'm entitled to voice them. It's your tough watermelon if you don't like them.    You can continue to argue this with me as if my opinion is somehow invalid.  It's an opinion, just an opinion, and in my opinion it's gamey.  Crow until hell freezes over, you're not going to change my mind.  Are you one of those idjits that will argue w/ someone indefinitely just because they have a differing view than you?  We can go back and forth until I get bored (rapidly approaching), or you can come to the realization that I have an opinion about something and it is different than yours, and have the sense to leave it at that.  Or is that something you just can't live with, someone differing from you?
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2004, 08:09:46 PM »
Steve, I don't give a rats behind who agrees with me or not. This thread was a about gunnery. YOU made it personal. Just reread the posts and who first tied it in with someone's character. All you had to do was state you thought any external devices were gamey. But no, you had to get personal. And you know what? This drivel about whether I think I'm clever, or whether I have to be right etc. has been boring from jump street. NO one cares and its degraded a good thread. Frankly I wish they'd delete the cat claws. I'm done with it. Have a nice life.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2004, 08:22:49 PM by TweetyBird »

Offline Steve

• Platinum Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2004, 08:32:38 PM »
If it  was boring from jump street... why did you comment?

Dude, get over yourself.. if you thought the first post I made about you being gamey was personal, your wittle feelings got hurt.... get over it!!!    How do you get by in life, being so thin skinned?  Do ya carry around a box of tissues just in case someone gets personal?
Cripes, now I really am going to puke.  Tweety, you can have the last word if ya want it, whatever it is. Communicating  with prisses like you makes me gag and I just had dinner.... outta here.
Member: Hot Soup Mafia - Cream of Myshroom
Army of Muppets  Yes, my ingame name is Steve

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2004, 09:08:57 PM »
You worry about what I do entirely too much. You're starting to creep me out.

Offline BNshill

• Zinc Member
Tip
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2004, 06:33:54 PM »
I'm sure you know of the Z button, but you can adjust the zoom with the [ ] buttons once you hit Z. Once you set it to a comfortable spot it will stay there. Sitting up in the seat is almost worthless lol. This feature is especially useful in a tank  

Offline SoulzofAW3

• Zinc Member
Re: Tip
« Reply #53 on: January 24, 2004, 06:38:32 PM »
Originally posted by BNshill
I'm sure you know of the Z button, but you can adjust the zoom with the [ ] buttons once you hit Z. Once you set it to a comfortable spot it will stay there. Sitting up in the seat is almost worthless lol. This feature is especially useful in a tank  

LOL...Funny that you mention that.  When I started the topic, I knew nothing of the z button.  I just figured it out about 3 days ago and my kill ratio has risen.....slightly

Offline airbumba

• Silver Member
Re: Tip
« Reply #54 on: January 24, 2004, 06:53:13 PM »
Originally posted by BNshill

No comment, just happy to see BNShill. dude. U comin back? Cool to see you're still kickin.
I used to be a fatalist,
but that part of me died.

Offline BNshill

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Tip
« Reply #55 on: January 24, 2004, 07:23:54 PM »
Originally posted by airbumba
No comment, just happy to see BNShill. dude. U comin back? Cool to see you're still kickin.

bro! Yeah i'm back but no more 200 + hour tours hehe. Had a mountain of RL BS hit me all at once starting with w32 blaster (from an infected pc on a nearby wireless network) last year and nearly ending with a divorce and me questioning my sanity hehe. Dell finally got around to posting the fix after i was nuked for 2+ months on every fresh install (all this while not connected to my cable modem) over and over. I spent a fortune on firewalls, antivirus and routers (eventually solving the puzzle with a wireless router and a fix burned to cd). By the time i got that fixed i realized had to do some serious work on my marriage and gaming just seemed so unimportant ;p

Anyways things could'nt be better now and i'm refreshed and have a much better perspective on "gaming" hehe. I am on free 2 weeks and then will renew my subscription after :)

Good to see you again bro

Offline BNshill

• Zinc Member
Re: Re: Tip
« Reply #56 on: January 24, 2004, 07:32:24 PM »
Originally posted by SoulzofAW3
LOL...Funny that you mention that.  When I started the topic, I knew nothing of the z button.  I just figured it out about 3 days ago and my kill ratio has risen.....slightly

No biggie i did'nt learn about zoom adjust until i played a good 6 months lol. I swore everyone cheated in tanks because i could'nt see crap hehe.  Once i learned it, it was others crying cheater lol . Boy what a difference lol, and aye it'll help you see that bogey alot better - kills under 100 yards is asking alot, especially if they SEE you hehe. You'll soon find yourself getting kills at 300-500 yards and getting alot more kills :)

Offline TweetyBird

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2004, 12:20:04 AM »
>> Sitting up in the seat is almost worthless lol. <<

Yea, and the plastic sight is a pain in the butt. But it did teach me where to aim my cockpit for high (30 deg+) aspect shots.
I have the zoom set on my stick, but I'm still not really comfortable with it. I use it mostly to look at the aspect of the target 800+ out as somtimes its a lot higher or lower than I think (not that I shoot that far out - but to know how much lag or lead pursuit to fly).
The problem I have with the zoom is it maginfies the wobbles, and I wobble a LOT. It causes me to overcompensate - sorta like walking with bowl of hot soup staring at the sloshing soup :) I think as I get more steady I might be able to use it more, or perhaps start with real low magnification and gradually increase it.

But you are exactly right, the little extra under the nose view translates to about no advantage up close.

Offline BGBMAW

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Gunnery skills
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2004, 03:52:15 AM »
bonesssssssssssssssss:)

andi swear..soem gusy got there joystiks moving so frikn rock solid they never bounce..///if you get ur stik movn ur plane smooth..u can dogfite all day in zoomed mode..then you see which way thee eailerons/elavotrs movn...and you can lead them quiker..

btw..Go and shoot Skeet/trap...you will be bettr lead shooter:), plus you will meet old war vetrans that you can thank :)

i been going thru stiks and trying to fien to each one is frikn pisn me off..

]

btw  a plastic sheet on ur computer..god that sounds so gay

i use a sharpy red marker fro a single dot..

fukthis sht...if othere people get to see over the nose..u are stupid if u dont..