Author Topic: A way to add early war planes in the current arena  (Read 553 times)

-lazs-

A way to add early war planes in the current arena
« on: November 05, 2000, 09:48:00 AM »
Seems simple really.   Most of the stuff except the planes is in place.    

Early war planes won't do well in the current mid/late war planeset.   Options include some kind of "RPS" or "generations".   Neither allow people who will only fly one type of late war plane a place to go when it isn't that planes time...

Sooo... One big map.   Not much bigger than what we have but at one end.. Canyon world!  Canyons and hills.  Early war only planes enabled at those fields.   Close fields that are tucked into the canyons and immune to high alt bombing.  Sure, late war planes might be able to take enough fuel to get to the early war fields and back and maybe a tiny bit of fighting but... How good would they do twisting and turning amongst the canyons and hills?   Make the fields far enough away that long range (U.S./jap) fighters lose interest and short range euro and Soviet planes can't get there and back.

It's a way to add early war planes without the inevitable "I quit cause I cqan't fly my ____ for a day or 10" whines.
lazs

Offline Grinder

• Zinc Member
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2000, 10:10:00 AM »
I like all the planes in AH but would be for just about anything to get some early planes in the air!

Offline Biggles

• Copper Member
      • Muzak
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2000, 10:22:00 AM »
Just put up a force field or a big net to keep the late war planes from getting to the early war area!

-lazs-

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2000, 08:32:00 AM »
Canyon style fighting would probably be enough of a force field.  

Think about it... If you wanted you could fly a different set in a viable way all in the same arena!   P40's Zekes, Spit 1's, wildcats, 109e's and 110's, Ki43's and P39's etc.  
lazs

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2000, 08:47:00 AM »
Any idea that brings early war AC´s to AH is an good idea imho.

Regards.

------------------
AH : Maniac
WB : -nr-1-
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2000, 11:04:00 AM »
I like the idea of being to fly early war aircraft against each other but I don't think this particular one would work.

Either:

1)  The "field isolation" would work in which case we would effectively have 2 arenas.  The early war area would probably be unpopulated as players would flock to the late war area because that is where the action was.

or

2)  The "field isolation" wouldn't work.  The early war area would be filled with late war aircraft.

Hooligan

Offline marcof

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2000, 02:52:00 AM »
I still dont understand why a ww2 A/C simulator game, does not have early war planes?????????????. Can anyone explaine this to me.........

May I point out that the war started in 39, not when America entered in 42-43.

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2000, 07:31:00 AM »
Patience. The game hasn't even been pay-to-play for a year yet.

Offline Weave

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2000, 07:34:00 AM »
How about a western europe map, with 40-41 plane set. Set it up to only have two countries, allied, and axis. With all the 19.95 flyers around HC should have enough to populate both this and the MA.
Maybe if the customer base gets spread around a bit, we won't have such excessive lagging in any particular arena.
Never seen such lagging in the MA as since the expanded customer base arrived.

...Weave

-lazs-

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2000, 08:27:00 AM »
hooligan.. u may be right.   I tend to feel tho that just having the early war planes in place and in the arena is a plus.   I also feel that most people will still fly the latter planes and... I think that is fine.  I think that with "canyon world" (and radar)we won't need a large number of early war planes to make it an active/fun corner of the map to be in.

I believe that a dozen planes in each country flying in the canyon world early war will be plenty but I also think that 30-40 planes flying the early war planes won't particularly siphon off 30-40 planes from the other (late) war area of the map.   I can't help but feel that most of those numbers (after a settling in period) will come from people who are not flying at all or not very much currently.
lazs

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2000, 08:32:00 AM »
I think I'll fly the 109F4 for a bit, and see if it is competitive.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

lazs

« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2000, 10:53:00 AM »
st... not sure of what your point is?   Are you saying that the 109F is an early war plane like a Spit 1 or P40B?  or... are you saying that the F is early in comparisson to the current set?   There is a world of difference between the 109E and the 109F.  I believe that the F is marginal in the current set and hopless as more late war planes are added.

My point for some type of seperation between aircraft generations without causing a total exclussion for days or weeks of an entire set remains.

If your point is that you are heroic for flying a marginal plane then, ok..... Your a hero.  Most people are not heroic or martyrs tho so we do need some way for them to fly less advanced planes without getting beat up.
lazs

Offline Gadfly

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2000, 05:56:00 PM »
They can Laz, fly WB.

Just kidding.  Actually, I think the idea of flying Early/Late in the same arena is mutually exclusive of the idea of having plane choice.

What I mean is, sure some persons like to fly early mods, but why would/should they when they can fly the improved late mod of the same plane?

Lizking

Offline juzz

• Copper Member
      • http://nope.haha.com
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2000, 06:26:00 PM »
This is just one opinion on what would happen if a certain early war plane was modelled...

Offline Zigrat

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2000, 06:51:00 PM »
I think the answer is a RPS will be valid WHEN we get many more planes.

I don't bu the "i cant fly my plane whine" if westart from say 1941 then you get

p40-p36-mustang Mk 1-p51b-p51d

109e-109f-109g

190a4-190a8-190d9

wildcat-hellcat-bearcat

f4u-1a f4u-1d f4u-4

a6m2 a6m5

yak 1 - yak 9 - yak 3

lagg - la5 - la5fn - la7

on and on and on

you get the idea. Most planes were available in *some* (sometimes very different) form throughout the war (exceptions being like teh N1k2, P47) But i think most p47 drivers wouldnt mind flyin a warhawk, or nik drivers wouldnt mind a zeke if they only had to fight warhawks and p-39s