Author Topic: A way to add early war planes in the current arena  (Read 547 times)

Offline 2Late4U

• Copper Member
A way to add early war planes in the current arena
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2000, 07:17:00 PM »
There are two very easy and effective ways to incorperate early planes into the current arena and they are probabaly best when you use both ideas at once.

First of all a "rolling plane set" is a very effective way to introduce early planes.  Have each day represent a month in time and you could have the entire gambit of planes within each month.  

The second way is to make "earlier" planes be more resistant to being disabled by tactical bombing.  If you made it so a field had to be damaged to the point of being flat before early planes were disabled, you would surely have valiant (impatient) players taking to the skies in older planes instead of flying for 15 minutes from a far off base.  This not only helps gameplay, but represents a somewhat real world reality that older left over technology is often used when supplies of newer better stuff is unavalable.

Just my 2¢

8)

Offline Torgo

• Zinc Member
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2000, 07:37:00 PM »
I feel an RPS is the only way to go long term.  I dearly hope this isn't an instance where the desire to be different from WB for the sake of difference (which is what I believe led to the unfortunate decision to add the C-Hog which, as far as I can tell, really violated Pyro's own principles for inclusion of "representative aircraft" but I digress) causes AH never to have an RPS.

Separate arenas simply do not work....the early war arena inevitably ends up deserted.

Nothing is more irritating than the pathetic whiners who moan about not being able to fly their uberplane for a few days.

Guys in the real war didn't get to fly their countries' uberplane all war, either (if they survived that long.) Plenty had to make difficult transitions to radically different aircraft.

If you can only fly one late war uberplane well you ain't much of a pilot.

Offline Hooligan

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2000, 09:54:00 PM »
I believe arena numbers dropped when they instituted the RPS in WB.  Even though I prefer a "generations" type RPS to the current AH everything arena, I think that AH needs to get a bigger customer base and figure out a way to make 2 viable arenas, rather than force an RPS down customer's throats.

Hooligan

-lazs-

« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2000, 08:09:00 AM »
Hey guys i like early war dogfites.  there is a lot more acm and action.   It fits into my 1 or 2 hr a session style of flying but.... As hooligan said (and many of us know) People do not like to be forced to fly early war.

Any "generation" or RPS will force people to fly early war.   Face it... some guys just aren't comfortable with the pace of early war just as a lot of us don't enjoy WWI sims that much or, on the other end, jet sims.  The middle ground is the most fertile player base.

While one large arena may seem to some as no different than 2 seperate arenas, I say that there is a very large difference.   When there is a lag in the action or when it can be observed that there is an upswing in action or even when you are just pissed off with the fight for one reason or another..... All you have to do is click on a field and be in a completely different environment using different tools and skills.    Maybe you are exhausted from the rush of canyon fighting and turn and burn or... maybe you are bored with the long flights with no radar or not much action.   Switch fields and enter a new war.

I love early war planes it's just that I don't want to force people to fly em.   I don't want to hear the whining.   I can't help but feel that the canyons and clouds of AH are the perfecrt place for em.
lazs

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2000, 11:40:00 AM »
 I dont like early war stuff. Haveing said that, let me add, this sounds like a geat idea. Very creative. Nobody has to fly anything they dont want to.

Also. I know HTC has no interest in pulling players from WB . But even so, this is bound to pull some of the nerf bullet guys from there.

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 11-10-2000).]

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2000, 11:50:00 AM »
Interesting thread.  

-lazs-

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2000, 02:24:00 PM »
Guys... we have a plane set right now that has a lot of parity.   There is a lot of viable planes to choose from in the arena.   If we add late or early war planes we run into problems....

Late war planes??? Idiotic perk plane is one way.... Just dump some late war uber planes into an arena full of mid war planes and hope for the best..  Rps is another... have a period or two that is underused.  Hope for the best.

Early war planes?   Anti perk?   if you don't do well or do often you get..... de-perked?  you have to fly a P39?   I guess the "perk" plane idea kinda makes every other plane a punishment anyway but.... Rps?   Sorry, I love early war but it would be underattended and we would also have a lot of the aforesaid animosity.....

Seperate arena's?   All but one would simply die.   With arenas it seems... there can be only one.

Seems the only option is to have "arena area's"   that allow some fairness but..... I'm open to suggestions.
lazs