Author Topic: a nice film i just took  (Read 511 times)

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
a nice film i just took
« on: January 23, 2004, 03:58:31 AM »
logged on a couple of hour ago and thought that i havent flown my beloved 109g10.
so of i went and behold a lanc formation passes below me.
hmmm that can be a nice film i thought and the rest is history :)

tell me what do you think?

2vrs1 film

Offline Dead Man Flying

• Platinum Member
a nice film i just took
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2004, 12:22:10 PM »
This is a nice film, Flyboy.  I thought you did a pretty good job of scissoring with the 190 considering that you were missing an aileron, and you demonstrated some good situational awareness with the capability to track multiple enemies through numerous views.  I was particularly impressed by your ability to remain in your rear view and fly for extended periods while countering the enemy.  That takes a pretty good sense of your bearings and how the plane reacts while looking somewhere other than straight ahead.

A few comments that I hope you'll find useful:

(1)  Avoid straight six attacks on buffs.  You were very lucky that the Lancaster formation was so poorly gunned, as you presented a very easy target for him.

(2)  Don't use the zoom key unnecessarily.  I noticed several times where you would do a quick zoom in and zoom out for no obvious reason when you were at close range.  Whatever works for you, of course, but I found it a bit distracting rather than helpful at the times you chose to use it.

(3)  Work on timing shots in the scissors.  You missed a couple of really good shot opportunities on the 190 as he was coming up under your nose and out in front during the scissors.  This is mostly a matter of timing and getting a really good feel for where the other plane is going to be at any given time.  Practice is the best way to improve here, so you're already doing what you need to do to get better.  

Hope that helps!

-- Todd/Leviathn

Offline Flyboy

• Silver Member
a nice film i just took
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 08:10:34 AM »
Originally posted by Dead Man Flying
This is a nice film, Flyboy.  I thought you did a pretty good job of scissoring with the 190 considering that you were missing an aileron, and you demonstrated some good situational awareness with the capability to track multiple enemies through numerous views.  I was particularly impressed by your ability to remain in your rear view and fly for extended periods while countering the enemy.  That takes a pretty good sense of your bearings and how the plane reacts while looking somewhere other than straight ahead.

A few comments that I hope you'll find useful:

(1)  Avoid straight six attacks on buffs.  You were very lucky that the Lancaster formation was so poorly gunned, as you presented a very easy target for him.

(2)  Don't use the zoom key unnecessarily.  I noticed several times where you would do a quick zoom in and zoom out for no obvious reason when you were at close range.  Whatever works for you, of course, but I found it a bit distracting rather than helpful at the times you chose to use it.

(3)  Work on timing shots in the scissors.  You missed a couple of really good shot opportunities on the 190 as he was coming up under your nose and out in front during the scissors.  This is mostly a matter of timing and getting a really good feel for where the other plane is going to be at any given time.  Practice is the best way to improve here, so you're already doing what you need to do to get better.  

Hope that helps!

-- Todd/Leviathn

first of all thanks for the input

about the buffs, i was just too lazy to set up a nice OH attack allthough it was to do from the point i were.

B. the zoom, i guess you can say im very "impulsive" or have a high level of blood sugar. in short im hyper active :) i must do something all the time so if it means pressing a button on the joystick i just fire awey. (atleast its not the trigger button ;) )

and C. i usually get those shots, but as i said it was a long time since i flew the 109 before and i "lost" my 30mm aim
belive me i was very frustrated when i realized i wont kill that 190 after all.

i need to start using the recorder more often, its really nice to see what you did right and wrong after a good satisfying flight