Author Topic: A funny thing happened during lunch...  (Read 292 times)

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
A funny thing happened during lunch...
« on: February 02, 2004, 12:57:46 PM »
So I'm at the bookstore thumbing through an issue of "Air Classics" magazine when a well-dressed guy walks by and says "so you work for *****, eh?".  I figured this was either going to be a slam about my company and his phone bill or something like that, so I told him that I do.  He asked what I did and I said that I negotiate data contracts and review government regulatory tariffs.  He asked me how I liked it and I said it was ok, I didn't have to sell anything and I could work at home or at the office, but that I preferred to work at the office.  

I'm thinking this guy was maybe coming from a job interview or something so I asked him what he did for a living and he said "I own a couple of distribution companies."  I pried a little and said the obvious, "Distributing what?  Paper? ...." and he responded "Yeah, that, but generally whatever needs to be distributed."  He went on a bit about eCommerce and did I know anything about it (I didn't tell him that I did, because I wanted to play ignorant and see where this was going).

He then says that he was distributing the very magazine I was reading, but then he tripped himself up a little by not recognizing the title (I was covering it with my thumb), and pointing out that a completely different mag with a different publisher was a newer edition.

Then came the bomber.

He asked me if I was interested in making a little extra money.

Now my "he's a solicitor" radar warning started going off.  He was fishing to see if I would buy into whatever he was selling.  So I told him that I like my job, that I already have a couple of interests that keep my spare time filled - volleyball coach and volunteer at an air museum - and stay pretty busy.

So he excused himself and moved on to another rack of magazines.

Anyway, has anybody out there had this happen to them?  What exactly is this scam he was trying to pull?  I have a feeling it was a pyramid scheme of some sort.

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 01:12:37 PM »
I had this happen to me once and the guy cut me a check for a meelliun dollers.

You screwed yourself, bud.

Offline Maniac

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 01:20:24 PM »
He was djust trying to pick you up... The scheme is called homosexuality....
Warbirds handle : nr-1 //// -nr-1- //// Maniac

Offline FUNKED1

• Platinum Member
      • http://soldatensender.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2004, 01:22:35 PM »
LMAO

Offline Saurdaukar

• Plutonium Member
      • Army of Muppets
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2004, 01:26:16 PM »
He wanted to discuss exhaust vents and fuselages, right?

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2004, 01:26:34 PM »
Nah, I'm too ugly for pr0n.

Offline Mickey1992

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2004, 01:33:55 PM »
I had the exact same thing happen to me at a bookstore about 10 years ago.  Turns out the guy was fishing for Amway minions (or whatever Amway is called nowadays).

It was the same pitch.  "What do you do for a living?".  He feigns interest and then asks if you are interested in making some money/looking for a job.  Unfortunately at the time I was.  Two days later when I meet him for an "interview" he starts into the whole Amway sales pitch.  It sucked.  Consider yourself lucky.

Offline Lizard3

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2004, 01:48:31 PM »
Def Amway. I saw one hittin up a girl at Booksamil the other day. I recognized his approach from years past when a co-worker of my exwife tried it. Repeatedly. I wouldn't consent to one of those meetings until he confessed what his product was. He wouldn't budge, neither would I. She finally got a report from another co-worker who got suckered into the "meeting". Amway it was and I wasn't about to catch the speil if the guy was to embarresed to come out front with it.

Offline gofaster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2004, 02:34:52 PM »
Yeah, that's about what I figured.  If it wasn't AmWay it was probably something very similar to it.  Normally I associate distibution companies with a particular product, like paper, alcohol, automobiles, that sort of thing.  The fact that he didn't specify any particular thing made me wonder about the legitimacy of it.

Offline Gunslinger

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2004, 06:01:01 PM »
You guys are all wrong.  I have it from a reliable source that the gentleman was actually trying to get you to an interview over drinks at wich point he would slip you a roofy.

When you wake up from your drugged state you'll be in a hotel somwere in a bathtub full of ice and a phone with a note on it saying

"your kidneys have been harvested.  Call 911 you are going to die real soon"

THIS HAPPENS ALL THE TIME SO WATCH OUT!

In rare cases the back of the note will say

"by the way the anal sex was good too!"

You just dodged the bullet man.

Offline JB73

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2004, 06:49:36 PM »
yeah .. at a bar this old dude was talking to this chick co-worker (it was her "going away" party cause she quit to get married.

he was talking about "his" company and wondering if anyone wanted to come work for him. it had something to do with managing data files like pictures. he was really vague.

noone bought it so i thought i would **** with him.

started asking detailed questions like what kind of files PDF, TIFF, what. he couldnt say lol. what were they pictures of? supposedly local municipalities keep all the pics of the blueprints for gas/electric on commercial buildings or something like that.

asked him about security seeing as any "employee" of his would be able to see this highly dangerous information (you could really wreak havoc knowing where all that stuff for a whole city was).

he said no special security.

asked what kind of platforms they used?

linux? unix? windoze? novell? what?

"oh we got a little of each of those"

LMFAO

i bascially made this guy look like a fool, and he left.

wtg me! lol
I don't know what to put here yet.