Author Topic: Avoiding the Head On.  (Read 2280 times)

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2001, 08:02:00 AM »
If I am in a big-gun-go-fast-but-won't-turn plane, am low and in a cloud of your friends, and I outgun you, I will HO. If the situation is reversed, I won't.

It's situational. When it is in your best interest to do so, do it. In the above scenario it can be that thinning the pack a little may be the only choice you have. Keep it fast, take what shots you have. 8x.50 on a jug vs. anything? Don't get in my way. 109 with 30mm and pods? Stay away from the pointy end of the stick. Mossie? Only a fool would HO against a Mossie.

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2001, 08:05:00 AM »
Kweassa-

It can just as easily be argued that, since death is only virtual, we are able to learn things in a way we couldn't in the real world, i.e. we can try things that would get us killed and learn from it. This arguably could make us better ACM students, don't you think?

Offline CRASH

• Copper Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2001, 09:03:00 AM »
I think we need to define what a head on is.  I almost always fly either a p38 or p51, usually the 51.  Difference is, I fly it like an angles fiter.  I usually win the merge which gives me a slight advanage as the nme turns to meet me but because the 51 rates the nose so slowley I usually find myself with my nose on the nme and his nose almost in firing parameters pointed right at me.  I will of course hose'em down with the 50's because I know that I've only got maybe one more turn for him to make a mistake before I need to disengage.  When I hit him while in these positions I am almost always greeted with a "nice ho" message.  If you turn ur airplane around, it aint a head on, you lost the fight, live with it.
     I have to agree with frost.  One of the reasons the f4c was perked was because every dween on the planet would just point his nose at you and spray.  Even when you tried to avoid, %50 of the time you got hit.

CRASH

Offline K West

• Silver Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2001, 09:19:00 AM »
Eff this avoiding the Ho crap. Tell me how do I avoid this getting shot from behind bullsh7t? I mean, what self respecting person would shoot another.... in the back!

Westy

(and Tumor is dead on. The HO rate goes up dramatically every time there is a sudden influx of players.  AH has always had players who would HO anythng they sawy but these new folks who supposedly flew using ACM (As JAB states) seem to have forgotten all that in thier transition)

[ 12-10-2001: Message edited by: O'Westy ]

Offline Wotan

• Platinum Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #19 on: December 10, 2001, 09:25:00 AM »
you would think kieran

but that aint the case the same fella will nose up on ya again and again. Even if he dies 90% time.

Seems to me most folks dont give a crap about rtbn. They want kills. If they can kill 1 more then they die well thats a success.

They never try to learn a better way. All that acm stuff takes to much work and there chances of successfully using acm to their advantage is slim.

These here are "fast food" killers. As long as they get um fast so what if it kills umm.

Just respawn and go suicide a cv......

Offline Kieran

• Platinum Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2001, 09:57:00 AM »
Wotan-

It would be foolishness for me to deny what you say to some extent, but consider, no amount of changing the game parameters will ever change that mindset. People will either enjoy and stay or not enjoy and leave.

I've had terrific fun furballing and not caring whether I lived.

I've had terrific fun helping to capture a base or taking down a CV (and living, I might add).

I've done many a desperate "one-man, vultched mercilessly" base defenses because I was all that stood between a defenseless base and another capture.

I have been high in a B17 hoping I can make the run before the swarm of 109's/190's take me out.

I have done the lowly C47 NOE mission into harm's way, one time even taxiing in from 2K away.

Guess what I'm saying is that all manner of play exists, and most of them can co-exist peacefully (as is possible in a war sim). HO'ing is a low odds tactic in most cases, but nonetheless valid.

Offline Am0n

• Nickel Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2001, 11:24:00 AM »
I like setting up for a HO and at the last secound reversing them.. works great since there is indeed there is a lot of people doing it, please dont stop  :)

One thing i cant stand about them is when its the ONLY thing someone will do in a fight, every pass they go for a HO. Ive only experienced one fight where it got to the point of me screeming at the idiot, in the most nimble AC and makes 7 HO passes.. thats kinda frustrating. even if you reverse them, they can extend and turn back into HO.. Just makes you have to evade more, very annoying.. but that makes the booty for winning so much sweater  :)
you can call them names and take home the prize!  :D

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
      • http://No
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2001, 06:49:00 PM »
I'm of 2 minds when it comes to HO'ing.  

I'll avoid them if I have similiar or less firepower or E advantage or if its 1 vs 1.

I'll HO if I have Hispano's vs anything russian or luftwaffe or when I'm on the deck and being BnZ by a good pilot who won't let me a up.

Anything more then a 2 vs 1 n i'll HO my bellybutton off too.

N i'll HO if i'm totally outclassed and pretty much know i'm gonna die anyway.

Pyemia AKA Zygote

:(

Offline Pyemia

• Copper Member
      • http://No
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2001, 06:50:00 PM »
awwwww and 262's everytime   :D

Offline Don

• Silver Member
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2001, 12:02:00 PM »
I'm not crazy about HO's either but, the longer I fly AH, the more I am amazed by the numbers of pilits who try and use em. When they lose, some of them immediately get on CH1 and complain. Thing is, I know immediately when a guy is gonna try a HO. I see him off in the distance and make my way towards the nme a/c. The nme sees me and turns to me and makes a beeline directly for me. Now if this guy isnt hdg for an HO showdown then, I don't know what is in his mind. I figure I was there first so, I'm not backing down and lose any advantage I initially had. I fire soon as I get close enough and I point my nose down to go under him and avoid his spray. I will prolly be quicker on the trigger and he will take serious damage. Moral of the story: If you don't like HO's avoid them.

Offline funkedup

• Plutonium Member
      • http://www.raf303.org/
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2001, 08:52:00 PM »
Kweassa - I know quite well the situation you describe.  My favorite thing to do there (as the guy with all the energy) is a chandelle - steeply climbing turn.  Try to read when the HO is going to stall then pounce on him.   :)

The guy with all the energy dictates the fight.  If he is stupid enough to fly into the HO he deserves it.   :)

Offline oki

• Parolee
  • Zinc Member
      • http://www.hillbilly.com
Avoiding the Head On.
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2001, 08:58:00 PM »
If at first you join AH and are HO crazy, I mean you will HO a chog with a tbm, but if you still HO alot after playing a month or so well then you can be classified as just daring or stupid (depending on your win/loss ratio). If after a month or two of playing and you cry about HO's well then you're just stupid because they are easily avoided 92% of the time and if you get HO'd when you're slow and cannot maneuver out of the way, well then you just got caught with your pants down doing something not so smart for the situation and if ya whine about that, you will just not only look stupid but also like an idiot. If you been playing longer than 3 months and ever whine about HO's no matter what the situation, then you're just a puss and need to start "flying" with a pacifier in your face to soothe yourself, but mainly to keep that hole plugged.