Author Topic: "Where are the roads..........?"  (Read 394 times)

oooo 111th Fighter Group

"Where are the roads..........?"
« on: November 07, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »
 I now have an AH account so I'm going to ask a question that's been on my mind since the Beta.  Shouldn't there be roads connecting all the bases?  This would be a logical geographic addition.  I mean, most countries have them    
    Roads would allow faster movement of vehicles but also make it easier for 'Jabo's' to find them.  Also, roads would require Bridges. A new target.  
    Finally, a road net would allow a 'supply' element  in the game.  With a flat rate, I wouldn't mind driving a 6X6 loaded with fuel from time to time.  
    Roads seem logical and could offer many options for AH designers.

------------------
OTTO CO 111th Fighter Group          ziggy2@home.com            
111th Fighter Group     www.cris.com/~ziggy2/      

[This message has been edited by oooo 111th Fighter Group (edited 11-07-2000).]

funked

« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2000, 02:13:00 PM »
Hiya Otto.  
Roads would be fun.  

Offline sax

• Gold Member
      • http://www.13thtas.com
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2000, 02:35:00 PM »
Lets throw in some railroads to.
sax

Offline Wardog

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2000, 03:03:00 PM »
LOL...

If we get road,i want to be able to load out the m16 with land mines. As it is now, m16 should be able to load out mines, might help field defence if we can come up & drop mines around base.

Dog out...

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2000, 03:21:00 PM »
Actually these vehicles are already moving their full road speed in off-road conditions  
thats +24mph for PZ-IVh and around 45mph for halftracks...
so faster movement actually would be slower movement, if off-road speeds would be adjusted.

Wardog, are you talking about M3?  M16 is SPAA and i dont think it carries mines like M3 should

Offline Jigster

• Copper Member
      • http://www.33rd.org
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2000, 04:02:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fishu:
Actually these vehicles are already moving their full road speed in off-road conditions  
thats +24mph for PZ-IVh and around 45mph for halftracks...
so faster movement actually would be slower movement, if off-road speeds would be adjusted.

Wardog, are you talking about M3?  M16 is SPAA and i dont think it carries mines like M3 should

There's plenty of room under the ammo box rack. Wasn't to uncommon for the M-16's and M-15's to carry light mortars either. I dunno if they ever tried M2 60mm's but the M19 60mm was pretty common.

Rojo

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2000, 04:26:00 PM »
One practical reason for the lack of roads is the object limit in the terrain.  A road segment would be an object (has to be to have any effect on the game engine), and to place it would require many segments to go from base to base.

Another option would be to have the vehicle speed tied to the texture mapping of the spot the vehicle is on.  Dark green (for forested areas) would limit tanks to a much lower speed than light green (representing let's say open prairie).  Grey, which represents rocky, broken terrain would be essentially impassible to vehicles.  Then you could create a special terrain skin with road segments that could be mixed and matched to "draw" the road from point A to point B. These textures would allow vehicles to reach their max road speed.  I suggested a similar tie between terrain textures and difficulty of ditching airplanes.

It should be remembered that the reason we have a network of vehicle bases, with their attendant spawn points, is to simulate the road and rail systems used to bring armored vehicles to within engagement distance of the enemy quickly and efficiently.  Tanks are never driven somewhere when there's a railroad around.  They break down too easily, and their transmissions were the weakest link in the chain, so to speak. Likewise, they use roads where available; not just to save time, but to save ware and tear.

------------------
Sabre, a.k.a. Rojo
(S-2, The Buccaneers)

Offline wolf37

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2000, 04:49:00 PM »
hi all:

well if we get roads, can we have little biulding along them, say at crossroads or some thing like that. I can just see it now,
wolf37's roadside bar and grill
have to put a sign up, please leave your guns at the door, and maybe a drivethrew window, for those on the go.

------------------
wolf37
C.O.
THUNDER BIRDS

tssfka

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2000, 07:20:00 PM »

Originally posted by wolf37:
hi all:

well if we get roads, can we have little biulding along them, say at crossroads or some thing like that. I can just see it now,
wolf37's roadside bar and grill
have to put a sign up, please leave your guns at the door, and maybe a drivethrew window, for those on the go.

Shouldn't that be "Fly-through" Wolf?  

arhurb

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2000, 03:55:00 AM »
Maybe roads don't need to be objects. Just model them as flat surfaces and make open field drain some speed off GV's. And then, make bombs make a BIG (of course proportional to explosive weight) crater wherever they fall, and more recovery time to repair the hole, so that if any vehicle falls into that hole, It gets damaged.

Just my € 0.02. Dunno what amount of work/resources is needed. Anyway, I rather like to have 1.05 ready than these things fixed (I WANT THE NAVY!   ...Any chance of a Sub? )

Cheers,

Pepino.

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2000, 04:57:00 AM »
One thing I'd like to remind about..
If off-road speed is cut off and roads added for full speed, then wheres the cover?
There should be also trees and other objects covering tanks before such things could be done or planes would take the control real bad

arhurb

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2000, 05:18:00 AM »
No, if we get rid or the white dot marking GV position, that is, not dots for GV whatsoever.  

Maybe spot ability near Airfields and Ground Hangars had to be implemented (like a short range radar, i.e. dots appearing on clipboard for GV, but only up to 2 miles or so).

Cheers,

Pepino

Offline StSanta

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2000, 05:30:00 AM »
Leave guns at the door?

No way. The government mgith use its rapid reaction force and strike while I am in there.

And the criminals wouldn't obey it anyhow.

And the Brits might invade and we have to oust them again.

Nosiree. Guns = freedom, without them, you're a subject.

Man, how life is simple.

------------------
StSanta
9./JG 54 "Grünherz"

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2000, 06:37:00 AM »
Santa, I see you have finally come to your senses! Congratulations!!  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure